Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cassel, coaching or both?

Default Cassel, coaching or both?

Other than the last play, I thought Cassel played pretty well. In the first half, there was ****ty play calling. It seemed like they were coming from upstairs. The pass plays always had a long delayed play action, and he didn't have time to look downfield. When you design a play action that takes 2-3 sec to develop, and your line can only give you 3-5 sec of protection, then that gives your qb only 1-2 sec to turn around, find a receiver and get the ball away.

In the second half, Haley seemed to be more involved in play calling, and Cassel was able to move the ball and find players open.

Granted Cassel made a horrible decision on that last play, but otherwise, he did much better in the 2nd half.

I say fire/demote muir back to OL coach. Have Zorn or Haley call the plays.

Cassel was a major part of the problem. He wasn't getting the job done in the first half and that last mistake is just something that should never happen for a guy whos not a rookie.

That being said I am more ticked at haley then anyone. This team was not well coached. There was no Hurry in this team in the 4th down 10. That came back to haunt us. Coaching is the thing that hurt us most in this one.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Cassel was a major part of the problem. He wasn't getting the job done in the first half and that last mistake is just something that should never happen for a guy whos not a rookie.

That being said I am more ticked at haley then anyone. This team was not well coached. There was no Hurry in this team in the 4th down 10. That came back to haunt us. Coaching is the thing that hurt us most in this one.
    Was it all Cassel though in the first half? He was 7/7. Can he be blamed that they did jones up the middle, McClain up the middle, play action pass when it's 3rd and 8 and then punt? I coach in an adult league and you never run a play action in an obvious a passing situation. The d isn't going to bite on it and it just takes time away from the qb to look downfield.

When we did traditional drop backs and Cassel had time, Cassel made some great passes downfield.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Was it all Cassel though in the first half? He was 7/7. Can he be blamed that they did jones up the middle, McClain up the middle, play action pass when it's 3rd and 8 and then punt? I coach in an adult league and you never run a play action in an obvious a passing situation. The d isn't going to bite on it and it just takes time away from the qb to look downfield.

When we did traditional drop backs and Cassel had time, Cassel made some great passes downfield.
    I think Cassel is part of it. I mean it's not like our offense just had one bad half. It's been pretty bad all year. I am not just a Cassel hater. I defended him all last year. Hell I even defended Brodie after the Charger game last season. But this offense is not getting the job done. Sure they put up points in the 2nd half. But that was also after one of the Chargers defenders went. down. Not saying that this is all Cassels fault or even that he's that bad. But For this team I just think we need to see if our backups can do the job better. Through 2 and a half games this season our offense put up 10 points thats a JOKE. We need a spark and Cassel has not been able to give it to us.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I think Cassel is part of it. I mean it's not like our offense just had one bad half. It's been pretty bad all year. I am not just a Cassel hater. I defended him all last year. Hell I even defended Brodie after the Charger game last season. But this offense is not getting the job done. Sure they put up points in the 2nd half. But that was also after one of the Chargers defenders went. down. Not saying that this is all Cassels fault or even that he's that bad. But For this team I just think we need to see if our backups can do the job better. Through 2 and a half games this season our offense put up 10 points thats a JOKE. We need a spark and Cassel has not been able to give it to us.
    I agree we need a spark, and that our offense was anemic. But we showed signs of life in the second half. I think it is more coaching than Cassel. I think a coaching change can give us that spark. Additionally, I don't at all think Palko or Stanzi will be able to do anything at all. Cassel isn't Joe Montana, but he is a lot better than our other options.

I agree that it's more coaching then Cassel And wouldn't be so upset with Cassel if he was not turning the ball over so much this season. That's just something that NO Qb can do. Right now Cassel is number 2 on my s**t list right behind Haley.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I agree that it's more coaching then Cassel And wouldn't be so upset with Cassel if he was not turning the ball over so much this season. That's just something that NO Qb can do. Right now Cassel is number 2 on my s**t list right behind Haley.
    Cassel has turned the ball over too much (tied with Rivers mccown and newton for most picks). But two picks last week were passes that went straight through the hands of 2 WRs and into the defenders hands. Can't really blame him for those. The problem is throwing it into the hands of Weddle means he is panicking and not making an adjustment when he is pressured.

Cassel has turned the ball over too much (tied with Rivers mccown and newton for most picks). But two picks last week were passes that went straight through the hands of 2 WRs and into the defenders hands. Can't really blame him for those. The problem is throwing it into the hands of Weddle means he is panicking and not making an adjustment when he is pressured.

I do put one of those picks last week on Cassel. He overthrew Urban on one of those. Could Urban have made the catch yes. But the Qb has to make a better throw there. The 1st one. That was 100% on Bowe. Cassel did his job on that one.

The one today just CAN'T happen. That's something you will see from a rookie. Cassel is not a rookie and shouldn't make that mistake.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

This is what starting to concern me about Cassell. I have yet to see him make a clutch play with the game on the line. Does he have it in him? Is the pressure too much for him?
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

To answer your last question? Yes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast