Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geek Squad Sucks!

Default Geek Squad Sucks!

Tell us your stories about Geek Squad.

We will tell you how they ripped you off.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    They were sooo excited to hire me since I had A+ Certification. All I could think was, "That's not required?" How stupid.

It goes to show what millions of dollars in advertising can accomplish.

They have to recoup the money by screwing their customers, who were silly enough to enlist their services in the first place.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Ah, Capitalism; nothin like it!

I go back and forth on this one. For the average person, the GS is a waste of money.

BUT - there are those that could NEVER learn how to do something simple, because they will not try. They are afraid of doing it. $80 is like doing it with insurance. Most of the money is "wasted", but if they had tried it on their own and messed it up, it would have cost more than $80 (maybe memory stick is not the right example though).

Then, to cover salaries & advertising and all the VW Bugs, what do you charge to keep it alive?

Bottom line: GS is not for me, but if my mother used it, I wouldn't be upset --> she has no choice since she has no friends with knowledge and her kids live out of town.

(Isn't this the same philosophy for people who do routine maintenance on your car? Oil change? Rotate tires? etc.? It's a higher premium, but still paying others more than it would cost you.)
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief View Post
    I go back and forth on this one. For the average person, the GS is a waste of money.

BUT - there are those that could NEVER learn how to do something simple, because they will not try. They are afraid of doing it. $80 is like doing it with insurance. Most of the money is "wasted", but if they had tried it on their own and messed it up, it would have cost more than $80 (maybe memory stick is not the right example though).

Then, to cover salaries & advertising and all the VW Bugs, what do you charge to keep it alive?

Bottom line: GS is not for me, but if my mother used it, I wouldn't be upset --> she has no choice since she has no friends with knowledge and her kids live out of town.

(Isn't this the same philosophy for people who do routine maintenance on your car? Oil change? Rotate tires? etc.? It's a higher premium, but still paying others more than it would cost you.)
    Well put...I wouldn't waste my time doing an oil change when the Grease Monkeys down the street will do it for $30...but I wouldn't dream of spending $50 more or less $80 to have simple hardware/software installed on my PC...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Never been to GS but now that you guys talk about them like this I won't either. Thanks for the info.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    Never been to GS but now that you guys talk about them like this I won't either. Thanks for the info.

Ditto!

Geek Squad blows. My bro and I have intimate knowledge of this. Actually taking care of the customer respectfully and honestly is next-to-impossible in corporate computer service because mostly there are just middle-management jerks with an associates' in business trying to tell you the most effective and efficient way to be a tech. They know nothing about teching but they are the one in charge. It's like they cut your arm off and tell you to throw a 60-yard TD pass without ever having touched a football themselves. This is a large reason why I started my own biz.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

No offense to the Geek Squad employees, I have been offered a job to work for Geek Squad, and my theory is anyone that has went to school for computer repair, has some experience, and knows what they are doing, will not work for minimum wage or close to it long. If you are going to spend good money to have something fixed take it to a pro that has the A+, has the experience, has some training and is a little more proud of themselves then to accept minimum wage. Also would you pay the local superstores salesperson to pull your tooth, especially if it cost the same as going to a dentist. Just my 2 cents but after paying 40,000 in student loans, spending 5 years in college, paying for and testing for certifications, there is no way I can afford to work for that, and this is in a small market. BB gets kids that THINK they know what they are doing 90% of the time. I get a lot of customers personally that tell me how little GS knows and how sometimes the customer knows more then the tech. I also cant count the number of times that I have had to correct a Geek Squad agent in there store because they have no clue what they are talking about just trying to sell memory a hard drive or a video card. One Geek Squad agent told a customer right in front of me that any memory stick would work in any computer and that they should buy the cheap stuff for there old computer (ddr 2 for a computer that took PC 100) the sales person (not a Geek Squader told the customer then that he didn't agree while any memory might work he recommended the more expensive one because it was surely faster). Again no offense to the Geek Squaders among us this is just my experience. It is a wonder what millions of advertising money will do. They should try spending that on trained techs might be worth something.

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief View Post

Well put. Someone that doesnt not know what they are doing can come in and get it done with insurance. Although it is very expinsive. I try to get the customer taken care of for as cheap as I can cant say that for other people there. I actually have customer service. Although I do not have my A+ yet i still know what I am talking about on most issues. I did actually go to college for computers as well as vo-tech in high school.

Welcome to Arrowhead

Quote Originally Posted by m0ebr0 View Post
    Well put. Someone that doesnt not know what they are doing can come in and get it done with insurance. Although it is very expinsive. I try to get the customer taken care of for as cheap as I can cant say that for other people there. I actually have customer service. Although I do not have my A+ yet i still know what I am talking about on most issues. I did actually go to college for computers as well as vo-tech in high school.
    Hey guy, I wasn't referring to anyone tech in particular, just the lax attitude they have in general.

I'm sure there are a lot of good techs that work for them, it's the overall corporate attitude they have in general.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast