Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jared Allen asks Chiefs fans not to boo him Sunday!

Default Jared Allen asks Chiefs fans not to boo him Sunday!

I for one, could never boo a former Chief, let alone one who was a favorite like Jared Allen. He still remains one of my favorite NFL players overall. Sunday will be bittersweet for me to witness Jared return to Arrowheads field...sure wish I was going to be witnessing him run onto the field in RED and Gold, instead of purple and gold. I miss Jared.

Jared Allen To Chiefs Fans: 'Please Don't Boo Me' - Arrowhead Pride

One of the things we'll be talking about as the Kansas City Chiefs prepare to host the Minnesota Vikings is the return of Jared Allen. Shortly before the 2008 NFL draft, the Chiefs sent Allen to the Vikings for a first and two third round picks in a blockbuster trade.

Allen went on the Border Patrol with Steven St. John and Nate Bukaty this morning and had one request for Chiefs fans when he returns to Arrowhead.

"All I hope is I don't get booed," Allen said. "I expect to get booed because, you know, Chiefs fans are Chiefs fans and they gotta stick by their team, but I felt I put in a good body of work while I was there. So, to the Chiefs fans, you would make me a little sad if you booed me. Please don't boo me."

He even buttered us up a little bit talking about the good memories he has about playing in KC.
    "Arrowhead is one of the greatest places to play," he continued. "I am looking forward to that smell. I'm hoping we can get the windows rolled down on the busses when we drive into the parking lot. There is nothing like that in the NFL, that smell of barbecue when you pull into Arrowhead. It's one of the greatest nostalgic Sunday memories you can have."

Even if booing were allowed in the press box, I wouldn't boo him. I don't have a beef with him. The Jared Allen trade, which netted the Chiefs OT Brandon Albert and RB Jamaal Charles among others, was one of the few big-time NFL trades that seemed to work out well for both sides.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Okay, first y'all...Jared did NOT want to leave KC!! He had bought some land here, had planned to build a new home and make KC his permanent home. Carl promised JA that if he met expectations he would sign him to a long term deal and he'd spend his career in KC. Jared not only met those expectations but surpassed them.

When JA received the DUI & was suspended for 4 games, he was in his contract ending year. Carl refused to re-sign JA with an increase, even though he had kept his end of the deal surpassing all Carls expectations. Carl sited the reasons being the DUI & 4 game suspension, but many close to the situation say Carl had issues with JA'a personality all around...he wanted to control JA's personal life, JA didn't want him in his personal life.

JA made a public statement to most of the above. He did not want to leave KC. He and Carl continued to have conflicts related to Carl keeping his word to sign him long term, as a result he was traded to MN. I've no doubt by that point that yes, JA wanted away from CP, but not the Chiefs or KC.

Carl felt JA was at risk for futher DUI's & missing games, or so he claimed was his reason for not keeping his word to JA. Time has proven that JA was not a franchise investment risk related to his DUI as Carl claimed he was. Some close to the situation believe Carl used the DUI as an excuse not to pay JA more money signing him long term, and to take the heat off him from a public relations view point for trading JA.
    Yup, this is exactly how it went down. If you listened to the interview, they talk about Peterson, and Jared does little to hide his contempt for the man that ran him out of a town he loved and made his name in. So freaking sad.

Remember kids, we TRADED Allen. He didn't refuse to sign with KC, KC refused to sign HIM.

Still my favorite player, and I would trade literally anyone on our team right now to have not lost him. A dominant pass rusher with an incredibly entertaining personality. (it is all just entertainment, remember)

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Well, that is true...CP wouldn't sign him long term, stating the reason being because JA had received a DUI & 4 game suspension. He said JA was a risk after that happened. I can understand CP point of view as a GM, but also can see CP using the DUI as an excuse to profit more. I think he thought he could use the DUI as leverage to retain JA cheap...didn't happen, a contract battle began & we lost JA.

Time has proven to be on the side of JA...he's done well in Minnesota, was not the risk CP claimed he would be with paying him more.
    That, and it was his 3rd DUI since 2002. Just to get the whole story out there. Then, did he not partner in a bar/grill with someone? I did not want to lose the guy either, he is an awesome D-end. Especially being picked up in the 4th round. I do not harbor any bad feelings towards him at all. He is entertaining and does seem to have a pretty darn good personality. Dang sure was/is a leader! I'd take him back in a heartbeat. like the prodigal son.

I definitely wouldn't boo, he's always been (and still is) one of my favorite players. Hope we crush the Vikings though!

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    Yup, this is exactly how it went down. If you listened to the interview, they talk about Peterson, and Jared does little to hide his contempt for the man that ran him out of a town he loved and made his name in. So freaking sad.

Remember kids, we TRADED Allen. He didn't refuse to sign with KC, KC refused to sign HIM.

Still my favorite player, and I would trade literally anyone on our team right now to have not lost him. A dominant pass rusher with an incredibly entertaining personality. (it is all just entertainment, remember)
    Jared publicly stated that is Carl Peterson fanchised him that he would be asking to be traded and would ultimately hold out. He wanted a long term contract. The first thing Peterson did was slap the franchise tag on him.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Connie nailed it, precisely.

He got that last DUI and that was the reason he didn't get the extension the year before. But he was promised that, if he stayed out of trouble, they would get him a long-term contract.

That wound-up being a flat-out lie, as no offer was ever made.

Loving Hali these days. But imagine if he was still partnered with Jared.

Remember breaking the all-time NFL record for fewest team sack ever, that first season without Jared?

Love that guy. I would cheer him during introductions. But I wouldn't cheer him for sacking The Chiefs' QB.

Boo him, I will not!

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    That, and it was his 3rd DUI since 2002. Just to get the whole story out there. Then, did he not partner in a bar/grill with someone? I did not want to lose the guy either, he is an awesome D-end. Especially being picked up in the 4th round. I do not harbor any bad feelings towards him at all. He is entertaining and does seem to have a pretty darn good personality. Dang sure was/is a leader! I'd take him back in a heartbeat. like the prodigal son.
    Yes, but I also forgot to add to the story what chief31 did below, haha. Jared did stay out of trouble from that point of a 4 game suspension, at least to my knowledge. It's not unusual for a rookie to let stardom in the NFL go to his head at first, hard lessons learned usually mellow most fairly quick. Such was the case with Allen...he mellowed, learned the wisdom as he should have from his own mistakes. I think CP thought he could retain JA cheap using the DUI as an excuse...didn't happen, Vikes were willing to pay for the skill, talent, & his energetic field presence...Carl wasn't willing to match or improve their offer to JA. No effort from CP to keep him at all is what I understood to be accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Connie nailed it, precisely.

He got that last DUI and that was the reason he didn't get the extension the year before. But he was promised that, if he stayed out of trouble, they would get him a long-term contract.

That wound-up being a flat-out lie, as no offer was ever made.

Remember breaking the all-time NFL record for fewest team sack ever, that first season without Jared?

Love that guy. I would cheer him during introductions. But I wouldn't cheer him for sacking The Chiefs' QB.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    As a Bears fan what I hated most avout that trade was that he went to the Chiefs where they have to face him twice every year.

If we kept him with Hali and DJ our defense would be scary good. But without that trade we might not have picked up Jamaal Charles and Brandon Albert and (last year anyway) our defense wasn't too bad without him so it wasn't the worst trade.

Still, I would've loved to have kept him and get Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    As a Bears fan what I hated most avout that trade was that he went to the Chiefs where they have to face him twice every year.

If we kept him with Hali and DJ our defense would be scary good. But without that trade we might not have picked up Jamaal Charles and Brandon Albert and (last year anyway) our defense wasn't too bad without him so it wasn't the worst trade.

Still, I would've loved to have kept him and get Charles.
    Albert would be great if he were playing the position he had been drafted to play. But he is below average at LOT so far.

And Charles was a fifth round pick. He could have easily been had, rather that trade happened, or not.

While JA for JC + Albert seems like a good deal, that wasn't actually the deal.

Though I do still have to concede that point, if we had it to do all over.....

I love all my Chiefs, including Charles...but I'm not quite as sold on Jamaal yet as many fans are. He's not reached the level of RB in my mind, that was that of Marcus Allen or Priest Holmes. I hope he will, but my judgement on his being of legendary RB talent is being with held for now.

In my mind...a talented RB is easier to come across in the NFL than that of a linebacker like JA. I would take JA back in a trade for Charles, not considering his injury at all...simply value for value on the field.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast