Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 Million under the cap

Default 30 Million under the cap

If that is true, as is reported. Doesn't that say that this ownership is ok with being average? We won 10 last year, but we all know there were problems that needed addressed. But yet we didn't. Why is that? I've been watching the Cincinnati Bungles do this for 20 years. Just be good enough to stay close. Have a good year or two, and the sheepole will keep coming in to buy tickets, beer and merchandise. But not really dedicated to winning. Are we dedicated to winning? We used to be, but are we still? Mr. Hunt, are you really interesting in winning?

Because teams want to build within. They do not want to bring guys in. It's what GB did. TB is doing the same thing (best friend is a TB fan), they don't spend because they want to save it for bringing up players.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Because teams want to build within. They do not want to bring guys in. It's what GB did. TB is doing the same thing (best friend is a TB fan), they don't spend because they want to save it for bringing up players.
    I hear what you are saying, I'd add Pittsburg into that group also, I can't remember the last time they picked up a big name free agent..To go that route you must have extremely good talent evaluaters and top notch coaching to mold these young players..The jury is still out if the Chiefs have those capable folks to get this done. Still, getting a missing piece through free agency that would get you over the hump it sure does'nt hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
    I hear what you are saying, I'd add Pittsburg into that group also, I can't remember the last time they picked up a big name free agent..To go that route you must have extremely good talent evaluaters and top notch coaching to mold these young players..The jury is still out if the Chiefs have those capable folks to get this done. Still, getting a missing piece through free agency that would get you over the hump it sure does'nt hurt.
    I was hoping we try to get Nnamdi, but i think every team did

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    I hear what you're saying, but exactly how long do you give that practice? We've been building within for what, 6 years now. No, you need to do a little more than just work the draft. I'm not saying to go after super stars, but you need to identify good young talent around the league and find ways to attract it.

With KC being a small market team, that 30 mil might as well be 30 billion $. Could Hunt afford to cap out spending? I don't know, but in the merchandising world, we are about as small potatoes as it gets in the NFL. And the merchandising is where the teams make their money to be able to afford to pay more. Green Bay has been a miracle-maker in being able to put together a really good team while spending very little. I think it's been Hunt/Pioli's goal here also, but it takes a very special GM and owner to pull it off.

2011-2012 are the last 2 years before the "99% cap spending clause" in the new CBA takes effect. No

Now I am not sure what that exactly means to us. Unfortunately, and don't quote me on this, there is part that states that the 99% has to be spent league wide and as a whole. Meaning a loophole in the actual salary cap.

Theoretically in 2013 KC could spend 80% of the cap and to meet the CBA rules it would allow a team like Dallas could spend 120% of the cap.

So we could find ourselves potentially even further apart from the top teams cap wise.

Again this is just what I took from the articles I read. But it makes sense. Small market teams just don't make the money. Who knows what the cap will be in 2018? but obviously a good bit higher. Hunt may simply not be able to afford 99% of that cap.

If spending money was all it took to win then Im sure most teams would do just that. I mean Philly bought a dream team and look how well that is working out so far.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    If spending money was all it took to win then Im sure most teams would do just that. I mean Philly bought a dream team and look how well that is working out so far.
    There is plenty of logic in that school of thought. And not that I disagree with it I think the point is that teams like Philly are just not spending it is the right way. But at least they are trying. Showing that they are going after proven top tier talent.

But you are correct the final results are what matters and they are not making it happen.

Anytime you have results like ours on the field and cap room like ours it is an easy target. I personally would rather try and be wrong than not try at all. Granite Hunts pocket would definitely disagree with me...

Pioli is doing the same thing that he did with the Pats. They did not build by going out getting high price tallent. They made there team through the draft and once they got to the point they were winning superbowls they started really going out to sign some big name high price talent. They picked and chose who they wanted in the free agent market. It went faster with the pats because they had more talent then we did when they started.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast