Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's give Cassel a chance before we show him the door

Default Let's give Cassel a chance before we show him the door

First off we have not had a good O-line since Willie Roaf retired, do you guys remember when Tyler Thigpen was playing here as our starting qb over 3 years ago and he had to run for his life to make a pass, guess what not much has changed. I have been saying for the last 4 years we need to deal with our OL, Cassel is better then Thigpen but if he has no time to throw the ball what do you expect to happen. Secondly can we get a decent OC I mean really who the hell is calling the plays, and on top of that Cassel has had what a couple months to learn and get on the same page with yet another OC. It's rediculous I admit he's no Tom Brady, and I admit he is overpaid, but I don't feel he's had a fair evaluation. What we need to do is drop some serious cash on our line and quit being cheap, quality OL don't come from the dollar store aka the 5th and 6th round. Instead of wasting a number 1 pick on safeties that break all the time or on WR who break their thumbs. We need a LT (Albert a is a guard playing LT) or at least a RT. If your going to put a lot of money on the line why not put it on something that is possibly one of the most important positions on the offense. A good LT turns a decent qb into a good one. If Cassel had Trents OL I think we might very well be 3-0.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    First off we have not had a good O-line since Willie Roaf retired, do you guys remember when Tyler Thigpen was playing here as our starting qb over 3 years ago and he had to run for his life to make a pass, guess what not much has changed. I have been saying for the last 4 years we need to deal with our OL, Cassel is better then Thigpen but if he has no time to throw the ball what do you expect to happen. Secondly can we get a decent OC I mean really who the hell is calling the plays, and on top of that Cassel has had what a couple months to learn and get on the same page with yet another OC. It's rediculous I admit he's no Tom Brady, and I admit he is overpaid, but I don't feel he's had a fair evaluation. What we need to do is drop some serious cash on our line and quit being cheap, quality OL don't come from the dollar store aka the 5th and 6th round. Instead of wasting a number 1 pick on safeties that break all the time or on WR who break their thumbs. We need a LT (Albert a is a guard playing LT) or at least a RT. If your going to put a lot of money on the line why not put it on something that is possibly one of the most important positions on the offense. A good LT turns a decent qb into a good one. If Cassel had Trents OL I think we might very well be 3-0.

I agree with keeping Cassel, also for many of the reasons you gave. I'm in support of drafting Berry, however, for many justified reasons. From a GM's point of view...Berry made complete sense with drafting as being beneficial to the Chiefs franchise in all aspects considered.

I'm reserving judgement on whether or not Baldwin was a worthy draft pick, until I witness what he will or will not bring positively to our passing game. We needed to improve our passing game.

We don't know what Pioli has in his mind. It's possible he's reserving cap money for a justified reason, including improving the o-line. He knows things within the NFL & NCAA we don't. He could have his eye on particular players he wants and feels are worthy of waiting for before dropping money on those he feels are less worthy. Time will tell, and Pioli really hasn't been given the time fairly to put together the team he wants. The lockout threw a major hurdle into plans for this year.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

I have gained so much respect for you of late.

Words like this coming from a guy who once started threads like these....

Cassel and the Chiefs owe Jamaal some money - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

Give Brodie a chance - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

Cassel isn't the next Trent Green - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

Should we start Brodie? - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

Am I still wrong for not liking Cassel? - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

Can we go ahead and draft a solid 2nd round QB - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

Still not impressed by Cassel - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

...to see Cassel prove him wrong, then struggle this season, and not jump directly on the "I HATE MATT CASSEL" bandwagon, shows some serious class.

Not to mention how you have grown as a member of the crowd.

I remember how you would get into full-on hate-fests with people around here.

Now, look at you.

Acting all respectful to others, and grown-up like.

And the fact is, before you ever showed up back then, I may well have been the most "anti-Cassel" member on here.

My how things have changed.

And I couldn't agree with you more here.

After how Matt Cassel was able to do so much, even with such a nasty situation, last season, I just don't get how so many are so willing to throw it all away so quickly.

Maybe he will never play so well again. With our offensive scheme, and O-line, it wouldn't be too shocking.

But, since he has managed to do so much in his first three seasons, I just can't fathom giving up on him this quickly.

Rep to you.

If Cassel can accomplish something this year with what he has to work with he definitely deserves another year. If he struggles and we get a high draft pick though I think we should take a QB.

Yeah, Cassel and Muir are the fall guys right now, but this all goes to Pioli's failure to find legit players. Our entire 2009 draft looks right now like a big waste, and Haley's stupidities in getting Moeaki and Berry injured is casting doubt on the 2010 one. Not to mention that ditching guys like Smith, Waters, Edwards, Thigpen, Tony G., and even Pollard/Page looks incredibly bad right now.

Look at the actual salaries (not salary *cap* or bonuses) for our players this year: Kansas City Chiefs Player Contracts, Salaries, & Transactions

We're being cheap and it's killing the team this season.
    Last edited by jmlamerson; 09-28-2011 at 09:13 PM.

I agree with you on a number of things, also I feel a big problem with Cassel right now is all the OC's. Three years and three OC's. That in itself can not be an easy thing to cope with. It's my opinion thay Mr Haley himself needs to grow up. We had a good thing with Charlie Wiess and it appears Mr Haley ran him off or so it is rumored, and I feel there is a good chance we will have yet another in 2012. The O line has to be at the top of the list. and dont expect to see Andrew Luck even if we do go 0-16, I am not a big Cassel fan but he is our QB and we will have to live with it. I have a Great deal of respect for the man and I'll just leave it at that...

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Three years and three OC's.
    Three years and *four* OCs - Gailey (fired after Cassel first offseason with the team), Haley, Weis, and Muir.

Gailey and Weis are a combined 7-0 with their respective teams this year, for what it's worth.

REP!

My only knock on Cassel is the amount of time he holds onto the ball, but then again the o-line, also, has to pass block for longer then two seconds and WR's have to get open.

Nope. I think he needs to go. Everyone else sees it including outsiders who could care less about the Chiefs. Why don't you fans. I love the Chiefs and will believe what I see not read. A crappy NFL Quarterback!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast