Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battle should start over Jones

Default Battle should start over Jones

Nice to get a win today, but Jones is just too old to do anything with this o line. Battle looked good today with the few carries he got. Battle can actually get yardage unlike Jones who just falls down at the line. I believe Battle is a much better fit with this sub par O line. It is obvious why he should be playing instead of Jones. I don't see Haley doing this though. Your thoughts.
    It starts with the Offensive line

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    We need to start each game like we are already down by 17 points!
    Absolutely.

Even the better games we have had, our offense has been just terrible (Collectively) through the first half of games.

I prefer to play well in the second half. But we can't keep being so inept in the first half of games.

Battle looked like a run away freight train with the throttle wide open today. 119 yds. got my vote
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

jones is a great in between runner and he gets his yards by pounding it nd breaking tackles which he does and gets yards. i swear if he was just a little faster he could have broken free. hes good for 15 yards run but hes not fast enough to out run defenders for more then 20 yards. i actually like jones and i dont trust battle yet all i remember him before is a fumbling machine. if battle can be consistant than we will have a debate. if jones was in on the plays that battle got the yards jones would have gotten just abouit the same yards. battle did have a great game but its just one game. let him prove it the rest of the season and if he does then next year he will have earned the back up job to be number 2.

Id slightly disagree with starting him over Jones until we can see how durable of a back he can be, I'd love to see him take McClusters running work load however.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    I'd love to see him take McClusters running work load however.
    +1. Why not mix it up some between Jones, Battle and McCluster? Giving an opposing defense three quarters of Battle/Jones, then putting in McCluster late in the third quarter, when they've been battered all day...McCluster's speed + them being worn out from tackling bigger backs could really create some mismatches.

i don't see durability as an issue, he took alot of hits today and came out fine. he certainly was the most productive, impressive, effective, determined [choose one] back we have used this year. i say give him and mcclain a chance. pound the middle with mcclain then use battle for a change of pace, he is quick and with power...just what we need. i think jones is on the downside of his career.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    If you run Battle too much, he'll break down, and quickly. You're better off using him to pass block and get five or so touches a game for the hard yards. Don't break him by trying to turn him into a primary runner. He's a glorified FB, not a RB.
    So if he does break down, what do we really lose? Why not give him a shot until he does? If the team refused to play guys because they would break down, Holmes and Charles would never have got a shot.

Worst case scenario, he breaks down. I'm fine with that considering our options.

Guys, there's no reason why Battle can't be durable. He's much bigger than Jones and he's never had injury problems that I know of. The way he ran today, he kind of reminded me of Peyton Hillis.

There's nothing to lose, so I'm perfectly fine with him getting 20+ carries a game. As for starting off slow, an opposing team's blue print should be exactly what the Bills and Lions did to us. Take advantage of the slow start early and never let up.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

I think everyone is best served if Jones/Battle are touching the ball each 10+ times, with McCluster mixed in for a few carries and work on 3rd down. The term "starter" really means little when it comes to Todd Haley's RBs...Thomas Jones was the "starter" last year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I think everyone is best served if Jones/Battle are touching the ball each 10+ times, with McCluster mixed in for a few carries and work on 3rd down. The term "starter" really means little when it comes to Todd Haley's RBs...Thomas Jones was the "starter" last year too.
    looks like Jones is in for a Battle I think RB by committee is a great idea here. we need the competition
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast