Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Battle should start over Jones

Default Battle should start over Jones

Nice to get a win today, but Jones is just too old to do anything with this o line. Battle looked good today with the few carries he got. Battle can actually get yardage unlike Jones who just falls down at the line. I believe Battle is a much better fit with this sub par O line. It is obvious why he should be playing instead of Jones. I don't see Haley doing this though. Your thoughts.
    It starts with the Offensive line

Jones just doesn't seem to move the pile, Battle does.
    If it's third and one, I want Battle on the field.
    Chiefs in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Jones just doesn't seem to move the pile, Battle does.
    If it's third and one, I want Battle on the field.
    well he's a starter now. so we'll see if he's worth his salt.
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

The "Starter" title in the NFL is quite meaningless except the players labeled as "starters" just get a bigger paycheck. Good teams have every single player on the 46 man game day active roster contributing. Jones is the Vet, he deserves the "starter" title weather the carries are split or not.

To be honest, Battle had a good game, props to him glad to see him do good, he probably wouldn't have gotten the touches without mccluster starting out bad (Made us waiste a timeout on the first series because he was lined up out of place, and dropped an easy screen pass the very next play. Haley was fed up with Dexter's start, so Battle got the nod, when he played well, they kept him going.)

I truly think RB is one of the easiest positions to transition to from College. I hear people saying we need to bring in a FA RB to replace Jones next year, but I think we just need to draft a pounder RB in like the 3rd or 4th round. RB's shelvlife in today's NFL is like 3-4 years tops (the great ones last longer, but the average is extremely low) We could get a young, healthy back that could be just as productive if not more productive as jones or battle without already taking a beating like we would if we got a FA RB.

I don't think a FA RB is the answer to succeed Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    The "Starter" title in the NFL is quite meaningless except the players labeled as "starters" just get a bigger paycheck. Good teams have every single player on the 46 man game day active roster contributing. Jones is the Vet, he deserves the "starter" title weather the carries are split or not.

To be honest, Battle had a good game, props to him glad to see him do good, he probably wouldn't have gotten the touches without mccluster starting out bad (Made us waiste a timeout on the first series because he was lined up out of place, and dropped an easy screen pass the very next play. Haley was fed up with Dexter's start, so Battle got the nod, when he played well, they kept him going.)

I truly think RB is one of the easiest positions to transition to from College. I hear people saying we need to bring in a FA RB to replace Jones next year, but I think we just need to draft a pounder RB in like the 3rd or 4th round. RB's shelvlife in today's NFL is like 3-4 years tops (the great ones last longer, but the average is extremely low) We could get a young, healthy back that could be just as productive if not more productive as jones or battle without already taking a beating like we would if we got a FA RB.

I don't think a FA RB is the answer to succeed Jones.
    Haley actually talked all week about getting Battle more involved though, so I don't think it was too surprising. I think Battle will probably lead the backfield in carries going forward, but Jones will also get his share.

I said that battle could do what jones did 2 years ago. he could then, he can now.

I think Jones is a very good number 2 back and he should be there whether it is behind Charles or Battle. Last week he gained 55 yds on 10 carries (5.5 ypc) which was almost as good as Battle's 6.2 ypc. He won't be as effective if he is the primary carrier IMO. Battle should be starting Now, but I don't think he is suited for the number 2 spot when JC returns. He can ease his way into the roll in a year or two when Jones retires or gets released.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I think Jones is a very good number 2 back and he should be there whether it is behind Charles or Battle. Last week he gained 55 yds on 10 carries (5.5 ypc) which was almost as good as Battle's 6.2 ypc. He won't be as effective if he is the primary carrier IMO. Battle should be starting Now, but I don't think he is suited for the number 2 spot when JC returns. He can ease his way into the roll in a year or two when Jones retires or gets released.
    Jones should retire after this year. There is very little left in the tank. I think Battle should be the number 2 back next year, period. The guy is 28. For a RB, that is the year you start going downhill. Waiting longer is not going to help. He is ready now.
    It starts with the Offensive line

Quote Originally Posted by kilobytes View Post
    Jones should retire after this year. There is very little left in the tank. I think Battle should be the number 2 back next year, period. The guy is 28. For a RB, that is the year you start going downhill. Waiting longer is not going to help. He is ready now.
    That's typically true, but keep in mind he's got pretty fresh legs. Look at Fred Jackson, he didn't get the #1 job until he was 28, and he's still dominating at 30.

Running back by committee...
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

I know it's only one game, but Battle kind of reminded me of Peyton Hillis. If he can keep running over defenses, our running game should pick up dramatically.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234