Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 7 Takeaways

Default Week 7 Takeaways

The passing game was effective. The interception from Cassel on a drive we were rolling on concerns me. But it is one pass and hopefully is an aberration. The defense was STOUT! Flowers and Carr were all over the receivers. Get Berry back this season and we could defend ANY offense. Breaston and Bowe brought it. The D line was impressive the first 3 quarters. I hope they weren't gassed in the 4th, but they got very little penetration. Battle is the real deal-we need to get back to running hard. Great win and it feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Well, perhaps I should have clarified by mentioning that I missed the entire first half.

But what I saw of him in the second half was a QB rushing his throws, and making some really bad decisions in the second half.

He seemed to be reading the blitzes well, but was unable to trust the blocking, and was rushing himself, unnecessarily.

I may have been assuming too much from the first half numbers. But completing 50% of his passes, with 0 TDs and 2 INTs looks pretty bad.

Hopefully I will find some time to re-watch the entire game in the next couple of days. But, until then, what I saw of him was aweful.

Although, I am not the guy who's going to be praying for my team to lose to replace him for a single poor game.
    Actually, you hit the nail on the head. If you were a masochist and read through the game thread, you'd see where I wrote exactly that. He seemed nervous in the pocket and was hurrying passes, when there was clearly no need to. The good part of it was that he was throwing some serious lazers to the B's enough of the time to have won us the game. There was only one interception that was serious and it was when we were rolling into Oakland territory and he had a good 7-10 seconds with no pressure at all-no Raider within 6 yards of him and they seemed to give up on the rush even. Then he just lobbed the ball 20 yards down the field to a Raider-closest Chief was 4 yards up the field. That's the one that has me mildly concerned. It was when we were up by 14, so it could have been a game breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    The passing game was effective. The interception from Cassel on a drive we were rolling on concerns me. But it is one pass and hopefully is an aberration. The defense was STOUT! Flowers and Carr were all over the receivers. Get Berry back this season and we could defend ANY offense. Breaston and Bowe brought it. The D line was impressive the first 3 quarters. I hope they weren't gassed in the 4th, but they got very little penetration. Battle is the real deal-we need to get back to running hard. Great win and it feels good.
    That interception scared me too, mainly because out offensive line did its job and Cassel had tons of time to get that ball out there. The commentators said almost too much time and I wonder if don't agree with them.

We have been screaming for the O-line to hold up well, and when it does, our offense really could not move the ball.

I am still a little worried about this offense. When you look at the numbers, it was clearly a defensive showdown for us yesterday, the offense scored once on a short field, aside from that, they did not move the ball the way they need to.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Actually, you hit the nail on the head. If you were a masochist and read through the game thread, you'd see where I wrote exactly that. He seemed nervous in the pocket and was hurrying passes, when there was clearly no need to. The good part of it was that he was throwing some serious lazers to the B's enough of the time to have won us the game. There was only one interception that was serious and it was when we were rolling into Oakland territory and he had a good 7-10 seconds with no pressure at all-no Raider within 6 yards of him and they seemed to give up on the rush even. Then he just lobbed the ball 20 yards down the field to a Raider-closest Chief was 4 yards up the field. That's the one that has me mildly concerned. It was when we were up by 14, so it could have been a game breaker.
    I agree and add to that the missed throw where he had Breaston over the middle wide open and he dumped it off short for minus yardage. He still seems intent to bird-dog the receivers and is not looking at the field.

I think this is still him worried about the offensive line and not really trusting their work. The Raiders had very little pressure on Cassel yesterday, but Cassel still could not seem to slow down a little and take advantage of opportunities.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

I guess Haley needs to yell at him at least once a game. I think Cassel has David Carr syndrome. He gets scared of even the slightest bit of pressure and unloads it. He missed a wide-open Baldwin that would've gone for a TD too.

He plays scared.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    I guess Haley needs to yell at him at least once a game. I think Cassel has David Carr syndrome. He gets scared of even the slightest bit of pressure and unloads it. He missed a wide-open Baldwin that would've gone for a TD too.

He plays scared.
    I'm not sure why everyone is throwing all the negativity on Cassell, we won, he only threw one interception in my opinon. Did he have a great game? No, but he also didn't lose the game for us he actually threw quite a few really nice passes. Listen I'm all for the best for the team but right now he is our best QB by far, the good thing is in the next couple years if we find a bette qb we have 3 young WR's in Bowe,Breaston, and Baldwin right now Cassel is good enough I'm more worried about our DL and OL to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone is throwing all the negativity on Cassell, we won, he only threw one interception in my opinon. Did he have a great game? No, but he also didn't lose the game for us he actually threw quite a few really nice passes. Listen I'm all for the best for the team but right now he is our best QB by far, the good thing is in the next couple years if we find a bette qb we have 3 young WR's in Bowe,Breaston, and Baldwin right now Cassel is good enough I'm more worried about our DL and OL to be honest.
    Can't speak for others, but I'll quote myself:
    The good part of it was that he was throwing some serious lazers to the B's enough of the time to have won us the game.

For me this is nothing more than using what we saw to see areas we need to improve on. As far as the O and D line, I covered that. The D line was great for 3 quarters and then couldn't get any penetration in the 4th. The O line was fantastic. Cassel was given plenty of time to throw most of the game. I actually walked away from this game more confident of both lines. We can win even the toughest games if these same guys show up consistently.

To follow up on your other Cassel point; I feel great about Cassel. That one interception worries me. It was a pass that didn't need to be thrown and it was thrown in the complete wrong area with him having an unobscured view of the entire field. I love Cassel and am still high on the guy, but that kind of thing is often the difference between a win or loss against good teams. It doesn't mean I think he needs thrown under the bus, but he needs to be more aware there are speeding Greyhounds in the area.

All-in-all, it was one game. And Cassel's inability to trust his protectors, while seeing countless blitzes, is not the least bit surprising.

I think that the o-line will have to prove the ability to perform as well consistently before Cassel can learn to trust them.

I hope they do.

That particular play gives me more optimism than caution.

Cassel has done a fabulous job, for the most part, with a serious lack of protection, for more than a year.

If this front group is capable of actually providing that kind of time, and space, in the pocket, more and more often, then I have little doubt that Matt Cassel will be able to perform at a very high level.

He certainly didn't seem to be expecting so much protection Sunday. But, if it starts happening more often, I expect that he will grow used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    We had a goal line stand from less than a foot from the goal line, we held a run first Raider team that averages 266 yards to 167 yards and the D-Line has seeminly gelled. How do we need to worry about our DL right now? The OL I'd say we only need to worry about Richardson, with a good RT I'd say that Lilja is just fine at RG. Past that depth is the only concern but depth at any position is a concern team wide.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast