Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 133

Thread: I still don't like Cassell

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default I still don't like Cassell


    0 Not allowed!
    Another lack luster performance by the 60 million dollar man. I know a bunch of you are going to respond in defense of him but ask yourself this. Has his performance over the past 2 seasons justified his salary? He will have made 40 million by the end of the season. I personally have not seen ANYTHING to justify this.

  2. #31
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Cassel was awful against Buffalo and Detroit and it's not because the whole team was inept. Cassel made history with the lowest net yardage per attempt with at least 20 attempts. 4 yards per pass is an absolute joke. That against Buffalo.

    Then, the following week against Detroit, he follows up that disaster by forcing stupid throws resulting in 3 picks, which lead to a large amount of Detroit's 48 points. Don't forget his fumble, which also lead to a TD. Then he goes and loses the game against SD.

    If we had a better QB, no doubt, we'd have won against SD. Maybe not against Buffalo and Detroit, but we may have been a bit more competitive.

    As for Peyton Manning getting a pass, did you see who he was playing with last year? I'd love to see how he would've done with Bowe, Charles, and Moeaki.
    Cassel was not awful in those games. He was slightly below average.

    The rest of the team was awful though.

    This is a team that had become a cellar-dweller, and Cassel has led us to 13-9 in the past year and change.

    Guys who were enormous underachievers prior to Cassel and Haley's arrival have performed like superstars with them.

    I think most of you are misled by the style of offense that we run, with the rushing attack and short, quick passes, thinking that the smaller passing statistics mean the QB is bad.


  3. #32
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Topeka< KS
    Posts
    2,344
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 58

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Not to try and be a d*ck or anything but parking fees seriously suck. I had season tickets a few years back and not that I'm rolling in money but I stretched a bit because I wanted to have season tickets and go to the games etc. What I wasn't counting on was $25 to park each game, now it's $27...so tack on another $250 for the season I had tickets and $270 this year. Parking does suck and to me anyone who dismisses that must enjoy setting money on fire too.
    I agree that the parking is ridiculously high. I think anything over $8 is too much but it doesn't really affect me because I can't afford to go to the games. Actually, I don't even have a car to park! And at the very least, season tickets should include a season parking pass. But seriously, how much lower do you think parking would be if Cassel was making, say, 4 or 6 million a year? I'm guessing not much.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    ...
    You're throwing out speculation and acting as if it has no bearing.
    ...
    Bottom line is we have an average and inaccurate deep ball throwing QB that threw the INT to stop the winning drive. We have no clue how over the course of the season that win will or won't help us repeat as division champs.
    You are speculating, too when you call it "the game winning drive." We don't know what would have happened if he had completed that pass or threw an incomplete pass. The Chiefs may have won, or they may have tied and lost in overtime, or someone may have fumbled the ball away on the next play. There were plenty of other players that day who cost us the game. You want to pin more blame on Cassel because he was the last Chief to touch the ball, but Bowe dropped several easy catches. The defense gave up too many big plays. Why is Cassel more responsible than anyone else for the loss? It is a team sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    ...

    I think most of you are misled by the style of offense that we run, with the rushing attack and short, quick passes, thinking that the smaller passing statistics mean the QB is bad.
    I think there is a lot of truth to this. Many fans (especially younger fans) are more impressed with the long pass-quick strike style of offensive play. They don't appreciate the advantages of a run heavy ball control offense.

    Look at Green Bay. Statistically, they have a pretty bad defense. I'm convinced that a big part of the reason for that is because they score so quickly that the defense doesn't have time to rest. They can get away with it because of Aaron Rogers, and other very talented guys on offense. They score almost every time they get the ball. Most defenses don't have that luxury.

    The Chiefs (like the Bears) win games when they keep opposing offenses of the field as much as possible. This keeps their defense fresh and allows them to get the stops when they do come in.

    It's not as flashy a style of play and it won't get as many points for your fantasy geeks but when executed well, it works.

    Cassel's yards per pass is low because this style of offense dictates a lot of short passes. The passing game is almost an extension of the running game. You only need 4 yds per play to consistently move the chains.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 10-26-2011 at 07:14 PM.

  4. #33
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    674
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I want one of you guys who say that Cassel is holding us back to tell me what our record would be this year with a better quarterback. It wouldn't have made a difference in the first 2 games because the whole team played horrible. We still won the last 3 games even with Cassel.

    The only game where it might have made a difference was in San Diego. Even then we probably would have had to settle for a FG to tie the game and there is no guarantee we would have won in overtime. I would argue that one of the biggest reasons we even had a chance to win that game was because of Cassel's good play in the 2nd half.

    There is a small possibility that we might have one more win this year with a better QB, but we might have won that game with better play at several other positions as well. Cassel is not the problem with the Chiefs and a better QB wouldn't give us any more wins, IMO.


    You do realize that when your defense is on the field the whole game because your QB can't get the team down the field or continues to turn the ball over. The outcome becomes a disaster for them like in the first two games. In San Diego, the defense held there ground and of course CASSEL DID NOT!

  5. #34
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Miles City, Montana
    Posts
    1,590
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 120

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010chiefs View Post
    You do realize that when your defense is on the field the whole game because your QB can't get the team down the field or continues to turn the ball over. The outcome becomes a disaster for them like in the first two games. In San Diego, the defense held there ground and of course CASSEL DID NOT!
    qft!

  6. #35
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Topeka< KS
    Posts
    2,344
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 58

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010chiefs View Post
    You do realize that when your defense is on the field the whole game because your QB can't get the team down the field or continues to turn the ball over. The outcome becomes a disaster for them like in the first two games. In San Diego, the defense held there ground and of course CASSEL DID NOT!
    You're making my point for me as to why Cassel is a good QB for this offense. His style of play allows for longer, more time consuming drives and that helps keep the offense fresh. You say the offense held their ground? lets look at those first 3 games.

    In game 1 McCluster fumbled the opening kickoff at the Chiefs 26 and the Bills took advantage of the short field to score a quick TD before Cassel ever touched the ball. That wasn't Matt's fault. In the Chiefs first 3 drives, they ran the ball 6 times for 9 yds. That wasn't Matt's fault either. The Chiefs have to establish the run to be effective passing the ball but because of poor O-line play they couldn't run the ball and Cassel had no time to pass. That wasn't Matt's fault. The defense gave up two TDs in the first quarter (while they were still "fresh") and the Chiefs were forced to abandon the run down 14-0. Again, not Matt's fault.

    In game 2 the Lions scored on their opening drive (against our "fresh" defense) and the Chiefs were down 7-0 again before Cassel ever touched the ball. On the Chiefs 1st possession they ran the ball 6 times for 65 yds to set up a FG. Cassel never threw the ball. What did he do wrong there? Jamaal Charles was injured on the last play of that drive and without him the Chiefs never scored again, but the Chiefs offense held the ball for 10:06 to the Lions 4:54 in the first quarter so they were moving the ball.

    In the 3rd game The defense gave up 10 points in the 2nd quarter, 7 in the 3rd when the Chiefs scored 7 and only 3 in the 4th when the Chiefs scored 10, so you are right: the defense held their ground. What you are missing though is the fact that the defense was able to play better as the game went on because the Cassel led offense was keeping them off the field. You blame Cassel for not coming through when you should be giving him credit for helping the defense stay fresh.

    The fact is that in the last 3 1/2 games, both the offense and defense has played better and Cassel deserves some of the credit for the improvement of both. O line and the Defensive secondary also deserve a lot of the credit for their improved play.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 10-27-2011 at 02:14 AM.

  7. #36
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Someplace
    Posts
    1,261
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 121

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Damn, that was a good post TopekaRoy.

  8. #37
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Miracle Valley, Az
    Posts
    902
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    You're making my point for me as to why Cassel is a good QB for this offense. His style of play allows for longer, more time consuming drives and that helps keep the offense fresh. You say the offense held their ground? lets look at those first 3 games.

    In game 1 McCluster fumbled the opening kickoff at the Chiefs 26 and the Bills took advantage of the short field to score a quick TD before Cassel ever touched the ball. That wasn't Matt's fault. In the Chiefs first 3 drives, they ran the ball 6 times for 9 yds. That wasn't Matt's fault either. The Chiefs have to establish the run to be effective passing the ball but because of poor O-line play they couldn't run the ball and Cassel had no time to pass. That wasn't Matt's fault. The defense gave up two TDs in the first quarter (while they were still "fresh") and the Chiefs were forced to abandon the run down 14-0. Again, not Matt's fault.

    In game 2 the Lions scored on their opening drive (against our "fresh" defense) and the Chiefs were down 7-0 again before Cassel ever touched the ball. On the Chiefs 1st possession they ran the ball 6 times for 65 yds to set up a FG. Cassel never threw the ball. What did he do wrong there? Jamaal Charles was injured on the last play of that drive and without him the Chiefs never scored again, but the Chiefs offense held the ball for 10:06 to the Lions 4:54 in the first quarter so they were moving the ball.

    In the 3rd game The defense gave up 10 points in the 2nd quarter, 7 in the 3rd when the Chiefs scored 7 and only 3 in the 4th when the Chiefs scored 10, so you are right: the defense held their ground. What you are missing though is the fact that the defense was able to play better as the game went on because the Cassel led offense was keeping them off the field. You blame Cassel for not coming through when you should be giving him credit for helping the defense stay fresh.

    The fact is that in the last 3 1/2 games, both the offense and defense has played better and Cassel deserves some of the credit for the improvement of both. O line and the Defensive secondary also deserve a lot of the credit for their improved play.
    Exactly! The offensive playbook was geared for running the ball hard and throw when they need to. Once Charles was hurt, the quick squirt-n-run was gone and run after run was stuffed, so Cassel quickly became the go-to guy and their defense knew it and Cassel started wearing linebackers and linemen like a fine tailored suit. Haley has made the needed adjustments and we are winning as Cassel becomes the key to our offense again AND just as important, Battle has come alive and started the quick-run threat we had in Charles. WE WILL GET BETTER AS THE SEASON PROGRESSES! We will, ahem, "matriculate the ball down the field" again.

  9. #38
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,246
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    You're making my point for me as to why Cassel is a good QB for this offense. His style of play allows for longer, more time consuming drives and that helps keep the offense fresh. You say the offense held their ground? lets look at those first 3 games.

    In game 1 McCluster fumbled the opening kickoff at the Chiefs 26 and the Bills took advantage of the short field to score a quick TD before Cassel ever touched the ball. That wasn't Matt's fault. In the Chiefs first 3 drives, they ran the ball 6 times for 9 yds. That wasn't Matt's fault either. The Chiefs have to establish the run to be effective passing the ball but because of poor O-line play they couldn't run the ball and Cassel had no time to pass. That wasn't Matt's fault. The defense gave up two TDs in the first quarter (while they were still "fresh") and the Chiefs were forced to abandon the run down 14-0. Again, not Matt's fault.

    In game 2 the Lions scored on their opening drive (against our "fresh" defense) and the Chiefs were down 7-0 again before Cassel ever touched the ball. On the Chiefs 1st possession they ran the ball 6 times for 65 yds to set up a FG. Cassel never threw the ball. What did he do wrong there? Jamaal Charles was injured on the last play of that drive and without him the Chiefs never scored again, but the Chiefs offense held the ball for 10:06 to the Lions 4:54 in the first quarter so they were moving the ball.

    In the 3rd game The defense gave up 10 points in the 2nd quarter, 7 in the 3rd when the Chiefs scored 7 and only 3 in the 4th when the Chiefs scored 10, so you are right: the defense held their ground. What you are missing though is the fact that the defense was able to play better as the game went on because the Cassel led offense was keeping them off the field. You blame Cassel for not coming through when you should be giving him credit for helping the defense stay fresh.

    The fact is that in the last 3 1/2 games, both the offense and defense has played better and Cassel deserves some of the credit for the improvement of both. O line and the Defensive secondary also deserve a lot of the credit for their improved play.
    Yeah, he sure helped them stay fresh by not getting a first down well into the 2nd quarter.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

  10. #39
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,529
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I never was to thrilled we got cassel but admitted last year he did a surprisingly good job, however this year he has no look so good. in any style offense it is the QBs job to make first downs and score TDs whether thru dink and dunk or via the big play. this year cassel has not been effecient in the CHIEFS style offense not because he is not putting up big fantasy #s but because he is not sustaining drives or making the plays when needed.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

  11. #40
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Topeka< KS
    Posts
    2,344
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 58

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    Exactly! The offensive playbook was geared for running the ball hard and throw when they need to. Once Charles was hurt, the quick squirt-n-run was gone and run after run was stuffed, so Cassel quickly became the go-to guy and their defense knew it and Cassel started wearing linebackers and linemen like a fine tailored suit. Haley has made the needed adjustments and we are winning as Cassel becomes the key to our offense again AND just as important, Battle has come alive and started the quick-run threat we had in Charles. WE WILL GET BETTER AS THE SEASON PROGRESSES! We will, ahem, "matriculate the ball down the field" again.
    You obviously "get it." Rep!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cassell and bowe
    By marloweopatchiefs in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 04:32 PM
  2. Cassell or WR's
    By nigeriannightmare in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-25-2010, 12:55 AM
  3. Cassell
    By jtandcrew in forum The Locker Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-08-2010, 02:18 AM
  4. Cassell Doesn't Need Moss!
    By Big Daddy Tek in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 08:54 PM
  5. Matt Cassell to the Chiefs?
    By tenacious in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •