Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time to Arrowhead....

Default First Time to Arrowhead....

Although I grew up on the west coast, I've been a Chief's fan for the past 42 years. Now that I'm living in West Virginia, I finally get to check one off my Bucket List and attend a Chief's home game vs. Miami on Nov. 6th. Unfortunately, I'm 0-9 seeing the Chief's in person (all on the road of course 0-3 vs. Raiders, 0-1 vs. Niners and 0-5 vs. the Seahawks, go figure), so I'm ready to break that streak and look forward to being with the crowd, not against it.

Any tips on what I should do on gameday to maximize, and simplify my experience? What should I expect? And, does anyone want to adopt me for one of your infamous tailgate parties? Thanks for any insights and I'm really looking forward to this. WVChief.

get there real early dressed head to toe in red/gold, expect a near religious experience and not to sit for the entire game, also you may have trouble hearing for several hours after the game. at least that was my experience there!
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

That's exactly the kind of experience I'm looking for. If you notice a spike in activity for Chief's stuff on eBay, that would be me. Thanks.

Have fun wvchief!!!!!! Pounding the fish into the dust should be a good initiation to Arrowhead.

Help a brother out......still have a few more questions for my limited time in KC. First and foremost, where's a great place to eat that is relatively cheap, but gives me the essence of KC? I'm thinking I'll have some time Sat. nite and after the game on Sun. Next, is there alternative parking close to the stadium, or should I just shoot for getting there very early to avoid traffic, get in and immerse myself in all things Arrowhead? (Note: I'm retired, on a fixed income and $27 sounds like a lot for parking...ha, but a small price to pay). Totally jazzed and thanks for the help. GO CHIEFS!!!!!

I'd like to help. But have yet to make it to a game myself.

I'm sure your day will come.

Quote Originally Posted by wvchief View Post
    Help a brother out......still have a few more questions for my limited time in KC. First and foremost, where's a great place to eat that is relatively cheap, but gives me the essence of KC? I'm thinking I'll have some time Sat. nite and after the game on Sun. Next, is there alternative parking close to the stadium, or should I just shoot for getting there very early to avoid traffic, get in and immerse myself in all things Arrowhead? (Note: I'm retired, on a fixed income and $27 sounds like a lot for parking...ha, but a small price to pay). Totally jazzed and thanks for the help. GO CHIEFS!!!!!
    Depending on how far you want to drive I'll list a place of BBQ joints in least distance from the stadium but definitely not in order of how good they are.

Smokestack - pretty decent bbq, not terribly expensive but not cheap either I'd say this is average bbq for KC.

Arthur Bryants - this is one of the known joints when the terms KC and bbq are thrown out. From what I've seen KC natives seem to claim this as the best bbq of KC. Not being from KC I have other favorites and rarely find myself here.

Gates - very flavorful but if you don't like spice on your bbq then don't go here. Pretty good bang for your buck and the most meaty bbq I've had. If you go here be prepared to hear "HI, may I heeeelp you!" almost as soon as you walk in the door.

Jack Stacks - the most expensive of the 5 I'll list but the sides are amazing, cheesy corn and beans yes please! You'll also end up with a lot of leftovers as you'll probably want to try a lot of this and that. The meats ok but kind of bland as they've tried to cater to everyone.

Oklahoma Joes - I'd say this is the best overall but this is just my personal bias. They have really good meat and the sides are good too. The fries are amazing and the onion rings are even better. Not to mention that either of those sides could be a meal because they give you so much. The closest one is in a gas station(original spot) and if you aren't there early you'll be standing in line. That you'll be there later is a good thing. They're closed sunday so go Sat if you want to go.

Hopefully that's helpful if you need exact addresses I could probably get you the closest one to the stadium. I've heard of other bbq joints in kc that are really good but for mainstream KC and the most identifiable these would be the top five.

As for parking there are spots around that people have that's $10 parking and then you can walk. The major question you need to have answered is how far do you want to walk to save $17? Then again that's a bbq meal so who knows. :)

ill be there this week for the game also,im arriving tomorrow at noon,taking in the college football games and the CHIEFS on sunday.

as far as the BBQ,its not to close to the stadium but the best place ive gone to is LC's BBQ and every trip to kc i never miss a stop there.

Thanks all for the suggestions, and $27 parking it is. At this point, damn the torpedos and beat the fish. Go Chiefs!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast