Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Time to Arrowhead....

Default First Time to Arrowhead....

Although I grew up on the west coast, I've been a Chief's fan for the past 42 years. Now that I'm living in West Virginia, I finally get to check one off my Bucket List and attend a Chief's home game vs. Miami on Nov. 6th. Unfortunately, I'm 0-9 seeing the Chief's in person (all on the road of course 0-3 vs. Raiders, 0-1 vs. Niners and 0-5 vs. the Seahawks, go figure), so I'm ready to break that streak and look forward to being with the crowd, not against it.

Any tips on what I should do on gameday to maximize, and simplify my experience? What should I expect? And, does anyone want to adopt me for one of your infamous tailgate parties? Thanks for any insights and I'm really looking forward to this. WVChief.

Enjoy your time in KC!

I can't wait to get back to a game at Arrowhead myself.

Resident Celebrity

Gates and Sons is the best imo. Try the strawberry baked beans...one of a kind

Quote Originally Posted by Lazeye View Post
    Ewwww; trying to wrap my head around that one.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Depending on how far you want to drive I'll list a place of BBQ joints in least distance from the stadium but definitely not in order of how good they are.

Smokestack - pretty decent bbq, not terribly expensive but not cheap either I'd say this is average bbq for KC.

Arthur Bryants - this is one of the known joints when the terms KC and bbq are thrown out. From what I've seen KC natives seem to claim this as the best bbq of KC. Not being from KC I have other favorites and rarely find myself here.

Gates - very flavorful but if you don't like spice on your bbq then don't go here. Pretty good bang for your buck and the most meaty bbq I've had. If you go here be prepared to hear "HI, may I heeeelp you!" almost as soon as you walk in the door.

Jack Stacks - the most expensive of the 5 I'll list but the sides are amazing, cheesy corn and beans yes please! You'll also end up with a lot of leftovers as you'll probably want to try a lot of this and that. The meats ok but kind of bland as they've tried to cater to everyone.

Oklahoma Joes - I'd say this is the best overall but this is just my personal bias. They have really good meat and the sides are good too. The fries are amazing and the onion rings are even better. Not to mention that either of those sides could be a meal because they give you so much. The closest one is in a gas station(original spot) and if you aren't there early you'll be standing in line. That you'll be there later is a good thing. They're closed sunday so go Sat if you want to go.

Hopefully that's helpful if you need exact addresses I could probably get you the closest one to the stadium. I've heard of other bbq joints in kc that are really good but for mainstream KC and the most identifiable these would be the top five.

As for parking there are spots around that people have that's $10 parking and then you can walk. The major question you need to have answered is how far do you want to walk to save $17? Then again that's a bbq meal so who knows. :)
    That's not personal bias, Oklahoma Joes is hands down the best BBQ around!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazeye View Post
    Sounds nasty! I hate when people try to be too creative with food.

Alittle late on the thread and im sure youre sick to your stomach after that game.
    THE BEST bbq in town is the one you never hear about. Porky's bbq in Grain Valley. Only open fri, sat, and sunday until they are out of food and ONLY take cash. Ribs are better than anyone in town. Alot of people rave about the pulled pork. A little old lady even makes the homeade pies, which are incredible. Im a bbq fanatic and have had most all. Never given a 10 to a place but Porkys is a 10. across the board. For you locals, its worth the drive!

KCraised.....you nailed it! For a first time experience, I absolutely loved my visit to KC and Arrowhead Stadium.....up until the kickoff that is. If I were to script my nightmare scenario for a game, they pretty much followed it. I regret I didn't get to experience the "loudness" of Arrowhead, heck, didn't even get to cheer a touchdown. So, after the game I wasn't in much of a mood for adventure, and grabbed something simple on the way back to my hotel.

Don't get me wrong, I hope I can do this again sometime and loved it, but it certainly wasn't the game I wanted to travel from West Virginia for.

Thanks again for everyone's comments, keep the faith, and Go Chiefs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12