Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs still getting "dissed" by ESPN

Default Chiefs still getting "dissed" by ESPN

In the Week 9 ESPN Power Rankings the Chiefs are ranked 18th, up 3 spots from 21st. Ok, given the 4 teams they beat and how they won those games I can kind of understand their reasoning. What I don't understand is how they can have the Chiefs 1 spot behind the Raiders and 3 spots behind the Chargers! Didn't we just beat both of those teams in back to back games?

I think the Chiefs should be ranked a little higher, maybe in the 14 to 16 range. What do you guys think? is the ranking fair?

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    In the Week 9 ESPN Power Rankings the Chiefs are ranked 18th, up 3 spots from 21st. Ok, given the 4 teams they beat and how they won those games I can kind of understand their reasoning. What I don't understand is how they can have the Chiefs 1 spot behind the Raiders and 3 spots behind the Chargers! Didn't we just beat both of those teams in back to back games?

I think the Chiefs should be ranked a little higher, maybe in the 14 to 16 range. What do you guys think? is the ranking fair?
    I think rankings this early are just to have rankings. It's like the college rankings that come out before any team has even touched the field. LSU and Alabama are 1 and 2 in the nation? Well then next year they should be top 10 for sure.

I look at these rankings over lunch as something fun but I've never taken a single one seriously. I'll start taking them somewhat serious at around 10 - 12 games into the season.

If you think ESPN is bad yahoo has the faiders at 8 and the Chiefs at 17.

I don't mind being a bit behind the Chargers we beat them yes but they also beat us at there place so that's a wash.

The faiders theres no way that we should be below them. We went to there place and Beat them down. I think we should have been around 15.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

The Traiders are one of the worst teams in the NFL. They have been exposed. The sports writers are really bad at calling teams and games. They won't write the Traiders off until they've lost their eighth game. (They are traitors to their fans-in F*ckland and LA yet people still root for them. I use that word for them to show the stupidity of the franchise and their fans)

ESPN.... meh.

I honestly think that most of the so called "experts" who make their picks and compile these rankings don't even warch a lot of the Chiefs games. It would be difficult to watch every game every week and still work full time.

So they read the recaps, look at the box score and form their opinions based on what little they have seen and past history regarding the teams. Then you throw in their personal biases and inherent bias toward "big market" teams, which they cover more because of ratings and are more knowledgeable about. Finally, they form their opinions based on all of these factors. This typically leads to teams like the Chiefs being under ranked or over looked until late in the season.

Near the end of the season, when there is a larger pool of games to base your opinions on, the rankings tend to be more accurate. If the Chiefs keep doing what they are doing, they will eventually get the credit they deserve. There just tends to be a lag time between perception and reality.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 11-03-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typos

This isn't the BCS.....who cares

Best tradition:... I have to go with the Oakland Raiders. How can that be disputed? ...Everyone equates the colors Silver and Black with the Raiders. There’s Al Davis, who has been with the franchise for 48 years. There are all the great Hall of Fame players,...There’s the three Super Bowl titles. You think of the AFC West, and you think of the Raiders.
    (Bill Williamson, ESPN)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This isn't the BCS.....who cares
    I don't really take ESPN's or anybody else's power rankings seriously. It's just something that's fun to look at and talk about. I like seeing what they experts think and comparing my opinions to theirs.

The only thing that really matters is wins and losses.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I honestly think that most of the so called "experts" who make their picks and compile these rankings don't even warch a lot of the Chiefs games. It would be difficult to watch every game every week and still work full time.

So they read the recaps, look at the box score and form their opinions based on what little they have seen and past history regarding the teams. Then you throw in their personal biases and inherent bias toward "big market" teams, which they cover more because of ratings and are more knowledgeable about. Finally, they form their opinions based on all of these factors. This typically leads to teams like the Chiefs being under ranked or over looked until late in the season.

Near the end of the season, when there is a larger pool of games to base your opinions on, the rankings tend to be more accurate. If the Chiefs keep doing what they are doing, they will eventually get the credit they deserve. There just tends to be a lag time between perception and reality.
    Nicely posted, I couldn't agree more particularly with the highlighted part of your post.
    *** Kansas City Chiefs 2013 - 2014 ***

The one thing I've learned over the years is that power rankings are the biggest waste of time to get mad about. I'm sure the Chiefs players/coaches could give 2 sheeeeites about how good an independent media company thinks they are.

Real rankings are established in the playoffs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast