Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bears Release Veteran SS Chris Harris..Chiefs Pickup?

Default Bears Release Veteran SS Chris Harris..Chiefs Pickup?

Just heard that the Bears released their starting Strong Safety Chris Harris.

With Berry out, I know we have been playing well, but what are the thoughts of picking him up for depth (could even start over McGraw later on in the year, and add SS depth for after this year, when Berry returns)...

I don't really know the guys personality, but I looked at his stats and they are solid.

He has 82 starts in 88 games. In 6 Seasons averaged 80 Tackles a season (High 96, Low 54) Has 15 ints, and 12 Forced Fumbles as well.

From what I understand, Chicago wanted to get younger at the Position (Drafted Major Wright last year in round 3, and Chris Conte, in the 3rd round this year, so he was expendable) He started the season as a starter, injured his hamstring, came back and got benched for a game supposedly because he wasn't fully healed, he then started for them last week, and was requesting a trade before the deadline, but they ended up just releasing him because they couldn't get a deal done.

what are your thoughts??

From a Yahoo article:

"Harris started in the Bears’ 24-18 victory over Tampa Bay in London on Sunday with Major Wright(notes) nursing a hip injury. He had been benched for the Bears’ win over Minnesota the previous week.
    That led to him requesting to be dealt, something that did not happen before the trade deadline. Harris had missed three games with a hamstring injury and struggled in a Monday night loss to Detroit before that Vikings game.
    Harris was in his second stint with the Bears after being traded back from Carolina last year."

IDK, sounds like kind of a punk move to request a trade when you've been hurt and struggling all year...

It's called the win column, perhaps you've heard of it?

He'd be better than Piscatelli....

I'd still like to see them activate Langford on game day before we went looking. IMO he can help this team.

I posted this earlier today at ChiCitySports.com:
    It's sad how this came about, but I can understand why the Bears did it. Chris came back too soon from an injury and played poorly. When he was benched because of his bad play he *****ed about it and asked to be traded. He gat a second chance against the Bucs and played poorly again. When you get a 2nd chance like that you have to prove you belong on the field and he didn't.

I think if they just sat him until after the bye week he would've been fine but he didn't want that. He wanted out and the Bears gave him what he wanted. It's a good sign for the Bears that they didn't feel like they had to keep him. That says a lot for the improvement of Conte and Wright.

I just hope they don't regret it later in the season.
    He actually took a pay cut to come back to the Bears. He was their best safety before the hamstring injury and I think he still has 2 or 3 good years left. If he recovers completely from his hamstring injury (and we can get him cheap) I think he would be a very good pickup. He would probably be our second best safety behind Berry.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 10-27-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H-townChiefsFan View Post
    IDK, sounds like kind of a punk move to request a trade when you've been hurt and struggling all year...
    He's actually been pretty cool about it. It's more accurate to say he recognizes how well Conte and Wright have been playing and with the signing of Merriweather for depth, he knows he's not a part of the Bears future. They just can't afford to keep him.

After requesting the trade he said (paraphrasing) "I know a trade is highly unlikely at this late date and if I'm still here I will work very hard to get back on the field. I have some great teammates and I will give 100% for them and we'll see what happens at the end of the season."

He tweeted this about his release.
    https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisHarrisNFL/status/129552333976768512ChrisHarrisNFL Chris Harris

I was just released this morning by the Bears. Thank u for the opp to play football n do what I luv. I'm looking toward my next venture

https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisHarrisNFL/status/129551839728386048ChrisHarrisNFL Chris Harris

This Business known as the #NFL is a strange one. Chicago I want to thank u for all the luv u have shown me over the yrs. u will b missed
    He has nothing bad to say about the Bears and no ill will toward the organization.

He sounds he'd be a good pick-up.

I'd be happy to see him brought in.

How many times have we talked about Chiefs adding a free agents and never happens. SOUNDS GOOD THOUGH!

If the price was right he sounds like he would be a decent pickup. Doesn't sound like he has any attitude problems.

In my opinion, price doesn't matter. It is a position of need somewhat and at the least he'll provide depth. Regarding his personality, I haven't heard a bad word in fact he was one to speak out in defence of Jay Cutler in the beginning of this year. If any problems are there I'm sure the Coach would see to it.

Sounds like someone we should try to acquire providing it doesn't cause distraction or discord within the locker room.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast