Thread: Kansas City Texans?

Default Kansas City Texans?

Pulled this from another board...

Originally Posted by kcchiefs.com

Despite the Texans championship season in ‘62, the Dallas market simply could not sustain two professional football franchises. In early ‘63, Hunt had taken scouting trips to cities such as Atlanta and Miami. Kansas City Mayor H. Roe Bartle learned of Hunt’s interest in a new home for the Texans and extended an invitation for Hunt and Jacklenny the cool Steadman to move the franchise to Mid-America. After the duo visited Kansas City on an incognito basis, an ambitious campaign took shape to deliver on Bartle’s guarantee to Hunt of tripling the season-ticket base the Texans had enjoyed in Dallas. Kansas City’s mayor, nicknamed “Chief,” also promised to add 3,000 permanent seats to Municipal Stadium, as well as 11,000 temporary bleacher seats. Along with Bartle, a number of other prominent Kansas Citians stepped forward to aid in the efforts, putting together more than 1,000 workers to sell season tickets. On May 22nd, Hunt announced he was moving the franchise to Kansas City. Hunt and Stram initially planned on calling the relocated team the Kansas City Texans, but thanks to the insistence of Steadman, the team was officially christened the Chiefs on May 26th, in part to honor the efforts of Bartle. During their inaugural season in Kansas City, the Chiefs charged $7 for box seats and $6 for reserved seats at Municipal Stadium.

Glad that name did not follow the team.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Default Re: Kansas City Texans?

Yep, it simply wouldn't make much since to be called the Kansas City (MO) Texans.

Chiefster wrote:
    Yep, it simply wouldn't make much since to be called the Kansas City (MO) Texans.
    Agreed, the only thing worse would have been the Kansas City Texan Cowboys, what is that strangling noise I hear?

GO CHIEF'S :hammer: The Chargers!!

8-) :pint:

kenny1937 wrote:
    Chiefster wrote:
    Agreed, the only thing worse would have been the Kansas City Texan Cowboys, what is that strangling noise I hear?

Must be one of those ghosts you were talkin about.

Now don't you go and blow it now, You do not want to mess with those Ghost of Chief's super bowl past, they are a surely, rowdy lot, who seem to be upset that they were the only ones. Seems like it is lonely in the Chief's Super Bowj Heaven. Let well enough alone. (grin)

kenny1937 wrote:
    Now don't you go and blow it now, You do not want to mess with those Ghost of Chief's super bowl past, they are a surely, rowdy lot, who seem to be upset that they were the only ones. Seems like it is lonely in the Chief's Super Bowj Heaven. Let well enough alone. (grin)

Well I can't say that I blame them.

Chiefster wrote:
    kenny1937 wrote:

Well I can't say that I blame them.