Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The future

Default The future

If this team continues to grow and improve, despite the win/loss record, I am extremely hopeful for the coming seasons.

I can't stop thinking of how much we will gain during the 2012 offseason.

Along with another new draft class, a year under the belt of our current rookie crop, and another free agent period, we are going to gain a top 5 pick (Erric Berry), a player who is well worth a no.1 overall pick (Charles), and a TE who well exceeded his third round draft position.

With the emergence of Jackie Battle, partnering him with Charles could become one of the deadliest "thunder and lightning" combos that any team has seen in a long time.

Add the receiving threat of Moeaki to Bowe, Breaston, and a rising Johnathan Baldwin, and the passing weapons will be quite formidable.

And getting Berry back, with the way this defense has been performing, I can see this team challenging the elite teams of the league, on a regular basis.

Add a new draft class, and the sky's the limit.

But let's not forget that this team is in a great position to challenge for the post-season before we even get those players back.

At this point, it would take a complete meltdown, for the rest of the season, to dampen the outlook for the future.

Feeling pretty good about this team right now.

I can't say anything positive except that the chiefs look good in their home reds.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

The future? It's looking like "new boss like the old boss". We done got fooled again.

Don't blame Haley because the team decides to suck.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Our pass rush is still struggling. We are dead last in the league with 9 sacks. That is pretty bad considering we have one of the best pass rush LB's in the league and he has all but 3 of those sacks.

Pass Rush and OL are the most glaring team needs right now.

Agreed. Although I think that our outside pass rush should improve next year (Houston has shown flashes, but has yet to make an impact. He just needs time to get comfortable, and he should help pressure from the opposing side, we can look at Hali, Just last season was the 1st season he was talked about among the best in the league, with time Houston should help in this area)

BUT... We do need middle pressure from the NT. Gregg just kinda looks like an un-coordinated weable wobble. I know we have spent plenty of high picks on D-lineman in recent years, but we need a Stud NT to pressure the pocket.

So Next year, I'm thinkin like you and we look to O-line and D-line.

Read a little bit about Alameda Ta'amu, DT Washington, BIG dude 6-3 337, but could improve pass rush (is graded as a mid 1st round pick as of now) (Just looking ahead haha)

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    Agreed. Although I think that our outside pass rush should improve next year (Houston has shown flashes, but has yet to make an impact. He just needs time to get comfortable, and he should help pressure from the opposing side, we can look at Hali, Just last season was the 1st season he was talked about among the best in the league, with time Houston should help in this area)

BUT... We do need middle pressure from the NT. Gregg just kinda looks like an un-coordinated weable wobble. I know we have spent plenty of high picks on D-lineman in recent years, but we need a Stud NT to pressure the pocket.

So Next year, I'm thinkin like you and we look to O-line and D-line.

Read a little bit about Alameda Ta'amu, DT Washington, BIG dude 6-3 337, but could improve pass rush (is graded as a mid 1st round pick as of now) (Just looking ahead haha)
    I saw the same pick in a mock draft last night. I'm just starting to wonder if we're a NT away from having the D-line we need? Granted Gregg is older but there hasn't been the push we need to get to the QB. Not only that but what the heck is going on with our LB's?

I could flat out tell you Sunday if it wasn't the front 3 coming that Hali was the LB coming every single time. Just block accordingly and you see what happens. Granted I couldn't stomach any more of the beat down when Bush runs untouched for a 28 yd TD.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    I mentioned that a while back and got bitten- as it was clear to nearly everyone that the key to a run of five super bowl victories was Andrew Luck.

*mind you, not anyone to protect him.
    Not everyone, I am convinced that Luck would be ruined inside of two seasons and be worthless if we put him in behind thie offensive line.

And I am getting on the defensive line bandwagon now too. We are pathetic in the trenches.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Not everyone, I am convinced that Luck would be ruined inside of two seasons and be worthless if we put him in behind thie offensive line.

And I am getting on the defensive line bandwagon now too. We are pathetic in the trenches.
    Here's my question, do we keep Dorsey and Jackson? Trade them away for picks? Try to trade Dorsey and Jackson for true 3-4 guys (although Jackson is "suppose" to be a true 3-4 DE)? Keep them and draft new picks?

Those are the questions that are floating around in my head. We need a few backups for the DL and Dorsey should be coming up on a contract here pretty darn quick.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Here's my question, do we keep Dorsey and Jackson? Trade them away for picks? Try to trade Dorsey and Jackson for true 3-4 guys (although Jackson is "suppose" to be a true 3-4 DE)? Keep them and draft new picks?

Those are the questions that are floating around in my head. We need a few backups for the DL and Dorsey should be coming up on a contract here pretty darn quick.
    To be honest.... I am usually a defender of Jackson, demanding that we give him more time. But just because of this question If I had to pick between the 2 I would pick Dorsey. He has shown up a bit more in the last two seasons, is he a pro-bowler like he was touted to be out of college? no, but he is certainly better than a lot of other talent that we could have at that position.

I really think that Dorsey should stay (We shouldn't have to give him a big contract to stay) and Jackson should get one more year (even if we draft a successor, allow them to compete, and whoever wins the spot wins the spot, He could certainly rotate at the position, and isn't that bad of a run player, we just need a pass rusher on the D-line)

All in all we still need to remember that essentially D-lineman in a 3-4 Defensive rarely rack up the stats that make them look like superstars (The Sole Reason that Haynesworth didn't want to play in the Redskins 3-4 Defense). 3-4 Defenses focus on the LB's making plays (Such as the steelers LB Coprs). and the D-lineman occupying space

Let's take a look at this:
    Casey Hampton's average tackle/sack total in 11 seasons with Steelers: 29 tackles; 0.81 sacks

Brett Keisels average tackle/sack total in 10 seasons with Steelers: 31 tackles; 2.27 sacks

Ziggy Hood's average tackle/sack total in 3 seasons with Steelers: 13.6 tackles; 1.5 sacks

Glen Dorsey's average tackle/sack total in 4 seasons with Chiefs: 49.5 tackles; 1 sacks

Tyson Jackson's average tackle/sack total in 3 seasons with Chiefs: 30 tackles; .033 sacks

So If you look at the totals of what is considered a very good defensive front in the NFL vs our totals, they are quite similar, with Dorsey averaging 20+ tackles higher than any of the Steelers D-line, and is actually leading this entire group as of now with 29 total tackles this season.

we can't expect Dorsey and Jackson to record sack totals like that of Dwight Freeney or even Jarred Allen; When you compare apples to apples or stats to other 3-4 D-Lines the numbers are similar.

My wonder is whether Dorsey and Jackson would be better for us if we would switch to a 4-3 (A linebacker corps of Hali-DJ-Houston). With Jackson as a 4-3 DE and Dorsey as a DT, do you think we'd get better production from them?

I'm on whatever bandwagon gets us better in the trenches. We need OL and DL to improve our team. I would like to be seeing more of Powe on the field, too.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    My wonder is whether Dorsey and Jackson would be better for us if we would switch to a 4-3 (A linebacker corps of Hali-DJ-Houston). With Jackson as a 4-3 DE and Dorsey as a DT, do you think we'd get better production from them?

I'm on whatever bandwagon gets us better in the trenches. We need OL and DL to improve our team. I would like to be seeing more of Powe on the field, too.
    Hali would definitely line up as a 4-3 DE, and I think Jackson and Dorsey would be better served as DTs. I don't like it though. This 3-4 D has shown potential. We just need some more situational 3-4DE's that can get to the passer. Gilberry has been able to do this in the past, but I haven't seen it from him this year. Either way, we have to have someone other than Hali that can bring pressure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast