Todd Haley Says Matt Cassel Had Surgery, 'Everything Went Great' - Arrowhead Pride

"Kansas City Chiefs head coach Todd Haley broke the news to the world on Monday that QB Matt Cassel had a significant hand injury that could cost him the rest of the season. Haley talked with the guys on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday morning and said the injury isn't something that will affect his career down the road and they haven't made a decision on whether he'll land on injured reserve at some point.

"It's unfortunate and Matt obviously had a pretty severe injury to this throwing hand," Haley told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon on Wednesday morning. "It's not something that will affect his career in any way, shape or form but it will definitely affect this year. He's out for this week for sure, and Tyler's our starter and Ricky Stanzi will be our backup. We haven't made any moves yet as far as a decision on Matt this season."

Haley also confirmed that Cassel had surgery earlier this week.

"He just had surgery here early this week," Haley said. "We just want to make sure that we were getting a full evaluation. Everything went great. We just want to make sure that we do the right thing one way or the other because obviously if we feel like there's a chance we could have him back we'd be all in on that. But at the same time, we need to do what's best for the team and for him so we'll just see here."

One point I would highlight is that Haley is still holding out hope that Cassel can return at some point. Perhaps how the rest of the season unfolds will factor into whether Cassel returns this season."

I find it interesting/funny that Haley says Cassel had a "significant hand injury", it will "definitely affect this year" but refuses to say if Cassel is out for the year. If something is significant I don't see Cassel coming back in a month and a half.

Hope after the surgery, recovery and healing goes as planned and he's well soon.