Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: 10-15 Pick in 2012 Draft Who Do we take?

Default 10-15 Pick in 2012 Draft Who Do we take?

Alright so what do we know as of this moment about the our Kansas City Chiefs? Look at the depth chart from top to bottom. Look at the record. Look at the stats. Look at the game tape. What do you see?

QB - Matt Cassel's play has been inconsistent with flashes of hope. Overall highly disappointing.

RB - Jackie has shown he can contribute. Slightly inconsistent. But promising especially if paired with a faster more reliable back, aka, Jamal Charles. LeRon has not been as effective as I had hoped but I never truely expected very much out of him.

WR - We have one of the best trios of wideouts in the league in my opinion. We just can't get them the ball.

TE - No help at all.

OL - Started out strong but lately have been iffy.

DL - Changes all around, save for Dorsey, who is still questionable.

LB - Same as DL. Houston shows promise every now and then. Need another ILB and a solid OLB opposite Hali.

DB - The loss of Berry was huge. Carr hasn't been as effective this year. Constantly beat. A pickup at CB to compete with Carr would be nice.

ST - Succop started bad but has been decent so far this year. He is definitely on the hot seat though. Still lacking a solid returner.

So with all that. Who do you take with your first draft pickK?

While I would love to see RGIII in a Chiefs uniform I am almost positive that Pioli will not draft a QB. Cassel will be given another year to prove himself.

I say we go defense. Many will complain that our OL needs immediate improvement. Well I disagree. I say our defense is a more pressing matter. I like these three players.

Manti Te'o/LB/Notre Dame - I like him to be our ILB opposite Johnson. Think Ray Lewis. Not a great pass rusher. But a smart, strong tackler that can cover slower RBs and TEs. Injuries are a concern.

Courtney Upshaw/LB/Alabama - Line him up opposite Hali. Stong and fast. Great Vision. Good motor.

Dontari Poe/DT/Memphis - This one is a stretch for the pick we will probably have. But I think he could be a good NT. He is athletic for his size. Not a great pass rusher but can stuff the run. Raw Talent. Reason I consider him a stretch.

Alright lets hear it.

WOW... I just went back an looked at that 2009 draft, and I never realized how horrible it was.

Round 1- Tyson Jackson (we all know what we think of him)
    Round 2- None (Traded to NE for Cassel and Vrabel)
    Round 3- Alex Magee (No longer with team, traded to tampa for I think a 5th rounder)
    Round 4- Donald Washinton (Didn't work out as a nickle, converted to safety and well we've witnessed how this has worked out)
    Round 5- Collin Brown (Never Made the active roster for us, was gone in 2010 and played for the Hartford Colonials, then with the Ravens and is now with the Bills)
    Round 6- Quinten Lawrence (Started as a WR, converted to DB this year to help save his career, has never really made it off our practice squad roster)
    Round 7- Jarvaris Williams (Didn't make the active roster until December, was activated due to an injury to Kolby Smith, remember him haha, spent 2010 season and 2011 pre-season with Seattle, was cut this year, and is now on the Houston texans practice squad)

Of this ENTIRE draft class, I would not consider one of these players a Success!

Players we could have had with our 1st 2 picks:
    Round 1- B.J. Raji, Brian Orakpo, & Andre Smith
    Round 3- Micheal Johnson (DE Cincinatti Bengals now..I remember watching this dude play at Georgie Tech, and was a beast, would have made a nice OLB oposite Hali), Mike Wallace, Laderius Webb,

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    WOW... I just went back an looked at that 2009 draft, and I never realized how horrible it was.

Round 3- Alex Magee (No longer with team, traded to tampa for I think a 5th rounder)
    Round 4- Donald Washinton (Didn't work out as a nickle, converted to safety and well we've witnessed how this has worked out)
    Round 5- Collin Brown (Never Made the active roster for us, was gone in 2010 and played for the Hartford Colonials, then with the Ravens and is now with the Bills)
    Round 6- Quinten Lawrence (Started as a WR, converted to DB this year to help save his career, has never really made it off our practice squad roster)
    Round 7- Jarvaris Williams (Didn't make the active roster until December, was activated due to an injury to Kolby Smith, remember him haha, spent 2010 season and 2011 pre-season with Seattle, was cut this year, and is now on the Houston texans practice squad)

Of this ENTIRE draft class, I would not consider one of these players a Success!

Round 3- Micheal Johnson (DE Cincinatti Bengals now..I remember watching this dude play at Georgie Tech, and was a beast, would have made a nice OLB oposite Hali), Mike Wallace, Laderius Webb,
    Yeah, that was a rough draft. I remember when Pioli took what really disappointed me was I don't think he had even finished assembling a complete coaching staff and he proclaimed that the Chiefs would convert to a 3-4 defense. That was my first inkling that Pioli might have a hard time thinking outside of the "Patriot-box". Fortunately for us Tamba Hali was able to make the transition...and Derrick Johnson as well. Dorsey is playing to the level a player out of position could be expected. When I finally accepted we were changing our defense (remember Haley's buddy Clancy Pendergast who was forced into making the change and who was a last minute hire?), I wanted B.J. Raji....largely for his scheme versatility. Raji could have played 3-4 end or nose tackle depending on where he needed to play.

Not sure it matters who is available in the draft. Since the 2002/2003 season, the AFC has been represented in the Super Bowl by the Colts, Pats, or Steelers. Parity my a$S

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    Not sure it matters who is available in the draft. Since the 2002/2003 season, the AFC has been represented in the Super Bowl by the Colts, Pats, or Steelers. Parity my a
    Well, until somebody knocks them off of the hill, they are the kings.

Quote Originally Posted by nicfre2011 View Post
    Well, until somebody knocks them off of the hill, they are the kings.
    Actually, this year the only one of those three I'd see as a contender is the Pats. The colts? Umm... no.

The Steelers are getting old in a few areas, but they're still good.

As someone else pointed out in another thread, I'm just getting sick and tired of always going to the "well... NEXT year we're going to be great!"

I want us to get to that year.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    Actually, this year the only one of those three I'd see as a contender is the Pats. The colts? Umm... no.

The Steelers are getting old in a few areas, but they're still good.

As someone else pointed out in another thread, I'm just getting sick and tired of always going to the "well... NEXT year we're going to be great!"

I want us to get to that year.
    Most of these teams have one thing in common: a great quarterback.

Two of those teams, the Steelers and Patriots, have good draft after good draft, keeping hte pipeline filled with talent. The Packers are also doing a good job of this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Wait a minute! Are you saying Jamaal Charles, Brandon Flowers and Tamba Hali haven't "preformed for us" in the last year?

What!?!

maybe i should have clarified it better,those others mentioned we have already locked up for a while and yes they have preformed well for us,but im really talking about on offense,we need bowe the way he has been playing since last year when they really got on him about holding onto the ball and being more aggressive at wideout.in that respect he has stepped up and showed he can be and is a top reciever in the nfl.

sorry if it sounded differently,but i really believe we need to resign bowe to a long term contract

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post

Oh god, the players we could have had. And I think Jackson wasn't even projected to go that highly anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Most of these teams have one thing in common: a great quarterback.

Two of those teams, the Steelers and Patriots, have good draft after good draft, keeping hte pipeline filled with talent. The Packers are also doing a good job of this as well.
    I think that is what keeps those teams so talented, their scouts are our of their minds when it comes to adding talent. Pioli is supposed to be the Nostradamus of talent, but so far I haven't seen it in action here... In 3 years 1 group of talented players have been added. Last year still has yet to show me anything (although I liked a few of the players we got, they just haven't had opportunity like the 2010 crop.)

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Oh god, the players we could have had. And I think Jackson wasn't even projected to go that highly anyway.
    He actually wasn't, he was projected anywhere from like picks 12-16 if I remember right, I think a lot of projections had him going at 14...

Yes the players we could have had... Could you imagine our D with Hali and Orakpo? Holy Crap that would have been awsome, or even Raji! In one small defense of Pioli that entire draft class as a hole has yet to produce much NFL talent, and seems like it just wasn't a strong year. But with him supposedly having this awsome eye for talent....I can't help but say, why didn't you see those guys (Both Raji and Orakpo were projected at top 10 guys, and both were selected inside the top 10)

That's the problem with draft picks - You only get one (usually) in each round. Lot's of players picked in the first 3 rounds turn out to be busts. You draft biggest need or best player available and you don't know if you made a good pick sometimes for 2 or 3 years (Dwayne Bowe).

It's easy to say 3 years later that "we could have had 'so-and-so' in round 5, but those players went late in the draft because none of the 43 NFL teams thought they were worthy of a higher pick. Sometimes you get lucky and have more hits than misses and the teams that do are generally pretty good a few years later.

It's safer to get good players in free agency but obviously a lot more expensive and those players are older and won't be around as long so you need a good balance. It's not easy and there is quite a bit of luck involved.

By the way, we also could have had Clay Matthews that year. It's too bad you can't draft players who are already in the NFL. That would be a lot easier!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast