Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: 10-15 Pick in 2012 Draft Who Do we take?

Default 10-15 Pick in 2012 Draft Who Do we take?

Alright so what do we know as of this moment about the our Kansas City Chiefs? Look at the depth chart from top to bottom. Look at the record. Look at the stats. Look at the game tape. What do you see?

QB - Matt Cassel's play has been inconsistent with flashes of hope. Overall highly disappointing.

RB - Jackie has shown he can contribute. Slightly inconsistent. But promising especially if paired with a faster more reliable back, aka, Jamal Charles. LeRon has not been as effective as I had hoped but I never truely expected very much out of him.

WR - We have one of the best trios of wideouts in the league in my opinion. We just can't get them the ball.

TE - No help at all.

OL - Started out strong but lately have been iffy.

DL - Changes all around, save for Dorsey, who is still questionable.

LB - Same as DL. Houston shows promise every now and then. Need another ILB and a solid OLB opposite Hali.

DB - The loss of Berry was huge. Carr hasn't been as effective this year. Constantly beat. A pickup at CB to compete with Carr would be nice.

ST - Succop started bad but has been decent so far this year. He is definitely on the hot seat though. Still lacking a solid returner.

So with all that. Who do you take with your first draft pickK?

While I would love to see RGIII in a Chiefs uniform I am almost positive that Pioli will not draft a QB. Cassel will be given another year to prove himself.

I say we go defense. Many will complain that our OL needs immediate improvement. Well I disagree. I say our defense is a more pressing matter. I like these three players.

Manti Te'o/LB/Notre Dame - I like him to be our ILB opposite Johnson. Think Ray Lewis. Not a great pass rusher. But a smart, strong tackler that can cover slower RBs and TEs. Injuries are a concern.

Courtney Upshaw/LB/Alabama - Line him up opposite Hali. Stong and fast. Great Vision. Good motor.

Dontari Poe/DT/Memphis - This one is a stretch for the pick we will probably have. But I think he could be a good NT. He is athletic for his size. Not a great pass rusher but can stuff the run. Raw Talent. Reason I consider him a stretch.

Alright lets hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by nicfre2011 View Post
    I do agree with your comment on Robert Griffin. I would also add that I think someone with Matt Barkley's skill set/abilities could also have led us to a win. From Day 1 in the NFL? Maybe not, but while they would have probably had the same jitters that Palko had, unlike Palko, both Griffin and Barkley have the physical skill set to make the necessary throws to lead a team to victory. Palko has a gun slingers mentality without the necessary arm strength to get away with taking chances. I will also add that a 2012 free agent like Matt Flynn also seems to have shown the qualities you look for in a starting quarterback. He doesn't have a canon for an arm like Griffin, but is more of a game manager with mobility, but not the extreme game manager that Cassel is.

Honestly, if I were in charge, I would consider talking with Flynn this offseason to see if he would consider signing a contract that would allow him to compete with Ricky Stanzi for a starting role next year..then part ways with Cassel. Now that Orton is in the mix, I would let him audition for a longer term role...with the idea that he would compete with Stanzi next year. If Orton wants to leave, or really struggles during games this year, you let him walk and look at Flynn.

I get the feeling that Barkley and Griffin could end up returning...and if one declares, I don't think they will be on board when we are selecting.
    I wouldn't mind Matt Flynn being a Chief, but not really sure if he could be "The Guy" when it came to leading a team. Reminds me more of a role player/game manager.

I think our most glaring need is at RT. I also wouldn't mind at all seeing someone who could rush the %^%^*(&#%^ passer!!!!!!!!

Tamba Hali IS our pass rush.

it doesn't really matter where we pick as long as we pick the BEST player available....we need help at nearly every position except CB
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    it doesn't really matter where we pick as long as we pick the BEST player available....we need help at nearly every position except CB
    When Pioli took over CP and Herm had drafted some good players but the entire team as a whole was well to be blunt like the Royals. The backups were poor and the third string even worse. Herm could evaluate talent if anything and I do have to give that to him even as much as I dislike his coaching.

Because of the few good drafts he had and the couple good drafts that Pioli has had (2010 and 2011) we've got most of the starters back to starting material or at least to me we have. Barring our RT we're fairly set at starters that won't go out and embarrass themselves. Our D is playing lights out at times but at this point it's consistency which to me says the talent is there we just need to tweak it or draft a few players to challenge or take the spots of others.

The biggest need I see is filling the holes mentioned above and then start working on drafting other players that will challenge the starters so that regardless of who starts if the starter goes down we'll have a legitimate backup that can come in and won't cause the fan base to start talking about next year (insert Tyler Palko story here). I think with another good draft class combined with some successful free agency and in 2012 we'd be primed for a playoff run and possibly even a deep playoff run.

If one or the other fails I'd say that the prediction moves to 2013 but at this point 2012 seems to be a good year. Granted this is based off our injured starters coming back and picking up where they left off. I've seen as many of you have that a player gets injured and then they come back and hold back because their worried about getting injured and what not.

As for my thought on first pick in the draft I still say we should take a O-lineman but I won't be disappointed with a new shiny QB. Because lets be honest everyone loves a new shiny QB that can run and gun and get the people talking.

Since we're talking about draft picks I have to say that I love WalterFootball's draft picks for us (http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php). If we could get these I'd be as happy as a pig in poo.

Round 1 - "Landry "Lance" Jones, QB, Oklahoma
    It was rumored that Todd Haley could be fired following a slow start at the beginning of the season. The scuttlebutt died down once the Chiefs won a few consecutive games, but if they finish with four or five victories, Haley's as good as gone.

If Haley leaves, I think Matt Cassel is going with him. Cassel is owed $5.25 million in 2012, so Scott Pioli could easily get rid of him in the spring. If so, he'll definitely be interested in one of the four franchise quarterbacks available in the 2012 NFL Draft."

Round 2 - "Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
    If the Chiefs aren't confident in sixth-round rookie Jerrell Powe's progression, they could opt to select their nose tackle of the future in this spot."

Round 3 - "Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn
    Right tackle Barry Richardson is a sieve in pass protection, so if Jared Gaither can't recover from his back injury, Kansas City will be looking for an upgrade at the position."

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    When Pioli took over CP and Herm had drafted some good players but the entire team as a whole was well to be blunt like the Royals. The backups were poor and the third string even worse. Herm could evaluate talent if anything and I do have to give that to him even as much as I dislike his coaching.

Because of the few good drafts he had and the couple good drafts that Pioli has had (2010 and 2011) we've got most of the starters back to starting material or at least to me we have. Barring our RT we're fairly set at starters that won't go out and embarrass themselves. Our D is playing lights out at times but at this point it's consistency which to me says the talent is there we just need to tweak it or draft a few players to challenge or take the spots of others.

The biggest need I see is filling the holes mentioned above and then start working on drafting other players that will challenge the starters so that regardless of who starts if the starter goes down we'll have a legitimate backup that can come in and won't cause the fan base to start talking about next year (insert Tyler Palko story here). I think with another good draft class combined with some successful free agency and in 2012 we'd be primed for a playoff run and possibly even a deep playoff run.

If one or the other fails I'd say that the prediction moves to 2013 but at this point 2012 seems to be a good year. Granted this is based off our injured starters coming back and picking up where they left off. I've seen as many of you have that a player gets injured and then they come back and hold back because their worried about getting injured and what not.

As for my thought on first pick in the draft I still say we should take a O-lineman but I won't be disappointed with a new shiny QB. Because lets be honest everyone loves a new shiny QB that can run and gun and get the people talking.

Since we're talking about draft picks I have to say that I love WalterFootball's draft picks for us (http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php). If we could get these I'd be as happy as a pig in poo.

Round 1 - "Landry "Lance" Jones, QB, Oklahoma
    It was rumored that Todd Haley could be fired following a slow start at the beginning of the season. The scuttlebutt died down once the Chiefs won a few consecutive games, but if they finish with four or five victories, Haley's as good as gone.

If Haley leaves, I think Matt Cassel is going with him. Cassel is owed $5.25 million in 2012, so Scott Pioli could easily get rid of him in the spring. If so, he'll definitely be interested in one of the four franchise quarterbacks available in the 2012 NFL Draft."

Round 2 - "Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
    If the Chiefs aren't confident in sixth-round rookie Jerrell Powe's progression, they could opt to select their nose tackle of the future in this spot."

Round 3 - "Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn
    Right tackle Barry Richardson is a sieve in pass protection, so if Jared Gaither can't recover from his back injury, Kansas City will be looking for an upgrade at the position."

I liked these picks as well. Although I would love it if we were able to grab Robert Griffen from Baylor. I think with his mobility, our offense could be nasty and he will help with our O-line in the sense that he can move around and avoid pressure.

Not sure if he will be there, but if it's close (2-3 picks from us) , maybe we trade up???

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I liked these picks as well. Although I would love it if we were able to grab Robert Griffen from Baylor. I think with his mobility, our offense could be nasty and he will help with our O-line in the sense that he can move around and avoid pressure.

Not sure if he will be there, but if it's close (2-3 picks from us) , maybe we trade up???
    To be honest the only thing I see the Chiefs trading up for is for a stud LT like Khalil or Martin (Stanford). To me RG3 doesn't fit the mold of what Pioli and company want this team to be. It seems that we want a stand in there and pass if we haven't handed the ball off kind of offense. Jones seems to fit that mold perfectly, so do Luck and Barkley but I don't see us trading up unless it's just one or two spots. There are still to many needs left to give up picks. Especially when we want to bring in guys to challenge starters.

The only way I see us picking up RG3 is if Haley is fired. With a new coach usually comes a new QB. If that's the case the coach might look at how the O-line has worked with a guy like Palko and goes with RG3.

Did want to point out one more thing about the NT's in this class, all that I have read up on that would fit our system seem like the area they need to improve on is pass rush.

Which like I've mentioned, 3-4 D-lineman arent' expected to get 10-15 sacks a season like a 4-3 D-lineman, but just thought I would toss that out there that, I'm not neccessarily sure that our middle pass rush will improve temendously with one of these draft picks that I have looked at.

Specifically Alemdua , and Josh Chapman from Alabama. (Both guys that should go in rounds 2 or 3)

I'm not saying we don't need to draft one, I will love it if we can get a stud NT to man that middle, just a pre warning, that I don't want to see our fan base expect more than what they get, and kick and scream if the dudes don't rush the passer as well as they had thought, without doing their research.

Anyways I will be stoked if we can get one of these two guys!

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    To be honest the only thing I see the Chiefs trading up for is for a stud LT like Khalil or Martin (Stanford). To me RG3 doesn't fit the mold of what Pioli and company want this team to be. It seems that we want a stand in there and pass if we haven't handed the ball off kind of offense. Jones seems to fit that mold perfectly, so do Luck and Barkley but I don't see us trading up unless it's just one or two spots. There are still to many needs left to give up picks. Especially when we want to bring in guys to challenge starters.

The only way I see us picking up RG3 is if Haley is fired. With a new coach usually comes a new QB. If that's the case the coach might look at how the O-line has worked with a guy like Palko and goes with RG3.
    The main reason I mentioned RG3 was because of his natural athletic ability (which Palko has, and proven that our O-line is not as bad as made out to be). Plus I'm not so sure Muir will remains the OC, so it may give us an opportunity to mold an offensive system to fit a QB like this.

I have heard him compared to Vick, but have heard that he is much better of a pocket passer than Vick was coming out, and that he is similar to how vick was last year, where he goes through his progressions, before pulling and running, where as when Vick came out, he looked at his 1st route, if it wasn't there he took off.

Have just heard scouting reports stating that Griffen is much more of a pocket passer than what he gets credit for and that he has the natural athletic ability to avoid pressure, and run (so possibly more of like a Ben Rothlesberger vs Vick)

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    The main reason I mentioned RG3 was because of his natural athletic ability (which Palko has, and proven that our O-line is not as bad as made out to be). Plus I'm not so sure Muir will remains the OC, so it may give us an opportunity to mold an offensive system to fit a QB like this.

I have heard him compared to Vick, but have heard that he is much better of a pocket passer than Vick was coming out, and that he is similar to how vick was last year, where he goes through his progressions, before pulling and running, where as when Vick came out, he looked at his 1st route, if it wasn't there he took off.

Have just heard scouting reports stating that Griffen is much more of a pocket passer than what he gets credit for and that he has the natural athletic ability to avoid pressure, and run (so possibly more of like a Ben Rothlesberger vs Vick)
    RG3InKC

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    RG3InKC
    I like it!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast