Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 10-15 Pick in 2012 Draft Who Do we take?

Default 10-15 Pick in 2012 Draft Who Do we take?

Alright so what do we know as of this moment about the our Kansas City Chiefs? Look at the depth chart from top to bottom. Look at the record. Look at the stats. Look at the game tape. What do you see?

QB - Matt Cassel's play has been inconsistent with flashes of hope. Overall highly disappointing.

RB - Jackie has shown he can contribute. Slightly inconsistent. But promising especially if paired with a faster more reliable back, aka, Jamal Charles. LeRon has not been as effective as I had hoped but I never truely expected very much out of him.

WR - We have one of the best trios of wideouts in the league in my opinion. We just can't get them the ball.

TE - No help at all.

OL - Started out strong but lately have been iffy.

DL - Changes all around, save for Dorsey, who is still questionable.

LB - Same as DL. Houston shows promise every now and then. Need another ILB and a solid OLB opposite Hali.

DB - The loss of Berry was huge. Carr hasn't been as effective this year. Constantly beat. A pickup at CB to compete with Carr would be nice.

ST - Succop started bad but has been decent so far this year. He is definitely on the hot seat though. Still lacking a solid returner.

So with all that. Who do you take with your first draft pickK?

While I would love to see RGIII in a Chiefs uniform I am almost positive that Pioli will not draft a QB. Cassel will be given another year to prove himself.

I say we go defense. Many will complain that our OL needs immediate improvement. Well I disagree. I say our defense is a more pressing matter. I like these three players.

Manti Te'o/LB/Notre Dame - I like him to be our ILB opposite Johnson. Think Ray Lewis. Not a great pass rusher. But a smart, strong tackler that can cover slower RBs and TEs. Injuries are a concern.

Courtney Upshaw/LB/Alabama - Line him up opposite Hali. Stong and fast. Great Vision. Good motor.

Dontari Poe/DT/Memphis - This one is a stretch for the pick we will probably have. But I think he could be a good NT. He is athletic for his size. Not a great pass rusher but can stuff the run. Raw Talent. Reason I consider him a stretch.

Alright lets hear it.

I Think of course it is still too early for these predictions.... but due to our recent efforts on the field I too have been looking at prospects both in the Draft and FA haha.

I'm not usually a poster that is demanding O-line help on here like I sometimes see, but I do think that we could highly benefit from a high pick on the O-line, D-Line, or LB.

I'm thinking someone like a Riley Reiff from Iowa (6'6" 300lbs) Pioli has connections with his coach Kirk Ferentz and may use that to his benefit. This guy has also been talked about as a better Tackle than the guy he replaced, the current RT of the Green Bay Packers Bryan Bullaga.

From CBS Sports.com:
    "Unlike Bulaga, however, there is little doubt that Reiff can play left tackle at the next level. He does have to improve his hand placement and lower-body strength to handle NFL-caliber defenders, but given his athleticism, tenacity in the run game, and relative youth, teams will have no problems projecting him as a solid first round prospect with considerable upside."

The year Bullaga was drafted there was a-lot of talk that we could have seen the Chiefs draft him, due to Pioli's relationship with Ferentz. I think we could hear that talk again with Reiff, but might be more likely due to Reiff's superior Athleticism over Bullaga.

The only red flag with him is that his freshman year he got a public intoxication ticket, after leading the police on a 20 min chase on foot. I'm sure it was just a kid not knowing how to control his alcohol (lord knows we've all done stupid sh*t when drinking that we regret). This also happened before classes even started so it was probably like a back to school party weekend where everyone was getting stupid. The good news is I haven't heard of any other issues since.

Other prospects that I have ran across that could be a possibility (draft grade's vary so much from site to site at this point they may not be accurate.)

ILB's:
    Rounds 1-2: Monte' Taeo, ND; Donta' Hightower, ALA
    Round 5: Emanuel Acho, TX

D'line for rounds 2 or 3 and grab someone like Josh Chapman (6'1" 310) from Alabama is a stud (has been in the shadow of Marcel Darius, and before that Terrence Cody) could be a steal in round 3. Or Alameda Ta'amu (6'3" 337) from Washington (I've seen different grades on this guy, anywhere from round 1 to round 3)

I actually think you see us take a hard nosed inside runner in let's say rounds 4-5. Possibly Backs like Vick Ballard (5'11" 220) from Mississippi State, or Branden Boldin (5'11" 221) From Ole' Miss. We will be looking to replace Thomas Jones, and someone to compete with Jackie Battle for that role.

Also would like to see us grab some safety depth... and earlier guy like Antonio Allen, SS South Carolina, or a later round guy.

Kellen Moore from BSU just wins. He has ridiculous numbers, but that doesn't tell the whole story. He never, ever gets rattled. He will be the biggest instant impact player of the draft if someone drafts him and puts him to work the first season. In our case we could draft him and let him learn a couple seasons, but if we needed him he could play from day one. Luck and RGIII are system QB's and will struggle outside the carefully orchestrated systems in which they play. Kellen Moore is the system at BSU.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    Kellen Moore from BSU just wins. He has ridiculous numbers, but that doesn't tell the whole story. He never, ever gets rattled. He will be the biggest instant impact player of the draft if someone drafts him and puts him to work the first season. In our case we could draft him and let him learn a couple seasons, but if we needed him he could play from day one. Luck and RGIII are system QB's and will struggle outside the carefully orchestrated systems in which they play. Kellen Moore is the system at BSU.

I've only seen Kellen Moore graded as a late late round draft pick. CBS Sports.com has him rated at the 15th best QB in this draft, and at 228 overall (which is actually an undrafted position. only 224 players taken if there are 7 rounds, 32 picks in each round)

Now I think he should be drafted at some point, but I'm not thinking he is worth anything more than a 6th round pick, and not sure he will be the savior of whatever franchise takes him.

Luck is NOT a system QB. He plays in a pro-style offense and is probably the best player and athlete on the team. I think you're talking about Landry rather than Luck. I agree with you about RG. His upside is probably Michael Vick, but he seems too raw. He'd need a lot of grooming.

For where we'd be drafting, I would love Barkley. I think he's the 2nd best QB behind Luck. I'll take even RG over Landry though. He's an obvious system QB. As for Moore, I haven't watched enough of BSU, but if we see something from Stanzi through the rest of this year, we could hold off and get Moore late.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

No. Kellen Moore is a system QB. Not just that, but he led a pretty good team against consistently weak schedules. He is a winner but he isn't going to be a winner in the NFL.
    Luck is definitely not a system QB. He is a talented player and a leader. He played a pro-style that translates to the NFL.
    RGIII is questionable. Yes, he played in a spread offense at Baylor. He played defenses in the Big 12 that are not at the same level as SEC defenses. He is intelligent in and out of football and extremely athletic with a good arm. His accuracy and release has improved this year. He has a high ceiling.

Let's see: he beat Georgia-#7, VaTech-#10 and Oregon State-#24. You were saying what now?

I'm gonna hit on a couple things real quick without going into too much detail.

First off, to the author of the original post, you are an optimist, sir... if you believe there are going to be 9-14 teams with WORSE records than the Chiefs at the end of the season. To that point, I see the Chiefs picking in the 4-6 spots. Just look at the teams tied or worse than the Chiefs, record wise, and you'll see the Chiefs fall drastically before the end of the year. Cleveland, San Diego, Philly, Tampa, Arizona, Jacksonville, Miami, and Carolina are ALL going to end up with better records than the Chiefs who have the toughest remaining schedule in the league. Out of the 14 teams currently or tied with or worse than the Chiefs, 8 of them will end up with better records. That puts us around 6. There's still hope that Seattle, Washington, and Minnesota could all end up better than the Chiefs, but I wouldn't count on it.

Second, I think Dorsey could be one of the best defensive tackles in the league if he played in a 4-3 defense. Dorsey could be one of the Chiefs biggest trade pieces going into the offseason. I think the Chiefs should trade Dorsey to a 4-3 team for a latter first round pick.

I expect Indy, SEA, StL, Minn, and Wash to be picking ahead of KC. All but St. Louis and Minn need a franchise QB. Luck goes to Indy, Barkley reunites with Carroll, Kalil to STL, Blackmon becomes the #1 for Ponder in Minn, which leaves Jones for Washington. 3 QBs a WR and a LT taken before the Chiefs pick.

In my opinion, if the draft falls the way I see it, this is a horrible spot for the Chiefs to be in. With only RG3 left available at the QB position and knowing they still have Cassel returning in '12, the Chiefs don't really have an obvious pick here. There is still a TON of talent available here and could perhaps trade down and accumulate even more picks. There's also the curious case of Dwayne Bowe, who is slated to be a free agent in '12. This could cause the Chiefs to jump on Blackmon if he's available.

Personally, if there's no QB to be had at #6, I would like to see the Chiefs trade down. In addition to trading Glenn Dorsey to... say... perhaps... oh, I don't know... New England(?), they could have a few first rounders to play with. I wonder if Pioli could grab BOTH of the Patriots late first rounders (one from N.O.) for Dorsey and a third round pick. THEN, they could trade down from #6 and grab BOTH of Cincinatti's first round picks... ESPECIALLY if they like the top DE or CB.

I'd love to see the Chiefs sitting there with 4 first rounders. Hell, even if it meant trading away the rest of our draft along with Dorsey to make it happen, I'd want 4 first round picks.

Then, the picks could be:

Riley Reiff-OT
    Vontaze Burfict-ILB
    David DeCastro-OG
    Dontari Poe-NT

If we get to keep our 2nd round pick, my pick would be

If Bowe leaves:
    Best available WR

If Bowe stays:
    Best available player.

Probably O line

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I'm gonna hit on a couple things real quick without going into too much detail.

First off, to the author of the original post, you are an optimist, sir... if you believe there are going to be 9-14 teams with WORSE records than the Chiefs at the end of the season. To that point, I see the Chiefs picking in the 4-6 spots. Just look at the teams tied or worse than the Chiefs, record wise, and you'll see the Chiefs fall drastically before the end of the year. Cleveland, San Diego, Philly, Tampa, Arizona, Jacksonville, Miami, and Carolina are ALL going to end up with better records than the Chiefs who have the toughest remaining schedule in the league. Out of the 14 teams currently or tied with or worse than the Chiefs, 8 of them will end up with better records. That puts us around 6. There's still hope that Seattle, Washington, and Minnesota could all end up better than the Chiefs, but I wouldn't count on it.

Second, I think Dorsey could be one of the best defensive tackles in the league if he played in a 4-3 defense. Dorsey could be one of the Chiefs biggest trade pieces going into the offseason. I think the Chiefs should trade Dorsey to a 4-3 team for a latter first round pick.

I expect Indy, SEA, StL, Minn, and Wash to be picking ahead of KC. All but St. Louis and Minn need a franchise QB. Luck goes to Indy, Barkley reunites with Carroll, Kalil to STL, Blackmon becomes the #1 for PonderS in Minn, which leaves Jones for Washington. 3 QBs a WR and a LT taken before the Chiefs pick.

In my opinion, if the draft falls the way I see it, this is a horrible spot for the Chiefs to be in. With only RG3 left available at the QB position and knowing they still have Cassel returning in '12, the Chiefs don't really have an obvious pick here. There is still a TON of talent available here and could perhaps trade down and accumulate even more picks. There's also the curious case of Dwayne Bowe, who is slated to be a free agent in '12. This could cause the Chiefs to jump on Blackmon if he's available.

Personally, if there's no QB to be had at #6, I would like to see the Chiefs trade down. In addition to trading Glenn Dorsey to... say... perhaps... oh, I don't know... New England(?), they could have a few first rounders to play with. I wonder if Pioli could grab BOTH of the Patriots late first rounders (one from N.O.) for Dorsey and a third round pick. THEN, they could trade down from #6 and grab BOTH of Cincinatti's first round picks... ESPECIALLY if they like the top DE or CB.

I'd love to see the Chiefs sitting there with 4 first rounders. Hell, even if it meant trading away the rest of our draft along with Dorsey to make it happen, I'd want 4 first round picks.

Then, the picks could be:

Riley Reiff-OT
    Vontaze Burfict-ILB
    David DeCastro-OG
    Dontari Poe-NT

If we get to keep our 2nd round pick, my pick would be

If Bowe leaves:
    Best available WR

If Bowe stays:
    Best available player.
    Agreed with most of your post, but if you think someone is going to give us a 1st rd pick for Dorsey then you are the optimist. 3rd rd'er at best for Dorsey at this point. And Bowe is gone. We resigned the players we wanted. Dbowe is dgone.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Agreed with most of your post, but if you think someone is going to give us a 1st rd pick for Dorsey then you are the optimist. 3rd rd'er at best for Dorsey at this point. And Bowe is gone. We resigned the players we wanted. Dbowe is dgone.
    I also agree with most of what Tex wrote. I also agree that we probably wouldnt be able to get a 1st rounder for Dorsey, although I think we could get a 2nd rounder. One problem with his picks are that if we send Dorsey away, I dont know who would replace him. We would have to draft a 3-4DE or get one in Free Agnecy.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast