Thread: Why do they catch that guys passes but not the other guy?

Default Why do they catch that guys passes but not the other guy?

This is what my wife asked me while we watched last nights game. My wife was wondering why the WR's dropped the ball so much for Cassel but they caught the ball for Palko. I had to think for a second, Palko had two balls that the WR made contact with but they didn't catch both balls were thrown so poorly the wr never was able to get his hands around the ball just their fingertips resulting in interceptions. My thought are the following: Cassel protects the ball better, he is more accurate, yet he gets more drops.I spoke with a friend about this and his theory is the following: "Tyler Palko has a very weak arm so the ball has more of a touch on it, resulting in a gentler, easier to catch ball. Cassel on the other hand has an ok arm but he puts too much on it on short passes resulting in drops." I think it has to be either that or some kind of fundamental thing. If this is the only problem this should be an easy fix.

Could be, but I think the biggest factor is that the Patriot secondary is in the bottom third in the league, if not dead last. So there are more open receivers and defenders play further off receivers giving them longer to pull the ball in before making contact.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    Could be, but I think the biggest factor is that the Patriot secondary is in the bottom third in the league, if not dead last. So there are more open receivers and defenders play further off receivers giving them longer to pull the ball in before making contact.
    That's a good point but Matt Cassel threw to open receivers and the balls were still dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    This is what my wife asked me while we watched last nights game. My wife was wondering why the WR's dropped the ball so much for Cassel but they caught the ball for Palko. I had to think for a second, Palko had two balls that the WR made contact with but they didn't catch both balls were thrown so poorly the wr never was able to get his hands around the ball just their fingertips resulting in interceptions. My thought are the following: Cassel protects the ball better, he is more accurate, yet he gets more drops.I spoke with a friend about this and his theory is the following: "Tyler Palko has a very weak arm so the ball has more of a touch on it, resulting in a gentler, easier to catch ball. Cassel on the other hand has an ok arm but he puts too much on it on short passes resulting in drops." I think it has to be either that or some kind of fundamental thing. If this is the only problem this should be an easy fix.
    Especially for the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Especially for the other team.
    LMAO