Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible to get competent refs in a game?

Default Possible to get competent refs in a game?

Not much to say about tonight's game.. Officials ruin a drive with a TERRIBLE holding penalty and what happens? HUGE momentum swing and Patriots come back and score on a 52 yard pass play. They have now scored 24 unanswered thanks to Goodell and his incompetency. Who puts officials with little league experience in a Monday Night Football game?

Also, where was the hit on a defenseless receiver penalty? I've seen that called all year, but all of a sudden it isn't called because they're the Patriots? You see Hali's shirt and DJ's jersey? Can they hold any more? They need to learn that there's another team on the field.

Patriots have what, 0 penalties so far? Hah, right.

This has been something I've seen all year and not with just the Chiefs playing. I saw plenty of BS in the Bengals/Ravens game that I thought was just ridiculous as well. They need to get some people out there that actually know what to look for and not just call penalties because they need to make sure the underdog doesn't win.

Quote Originally Posted by drstandley31 View Post
    I'll tell you this. Unless you've done it, then I'll stand corrected. Try being a ref. then try being a ref for a higher level league. then think about these guys. They do a great job and can't see everything in fast motion like we do on TV. It's a ball busting job and they want to do a good job. The worst thing those guys can do is find out they messed up. They hate it. I ref'd once. It was awful. I think they do the best a human can do.
    Agreed, as you said a ref only gets one shot at the call real life at full speed. Not the benefit of the Monday night armchair ref that gets everything right when presented the play in slow motion 10 times from 4 different angles...

I ref'd once too and the amount of obscenities that were thrown down were insane. To the point where I turned around and handed the whistle to the fan that was heckling and said since you clearly know the game better you can ref! This was a basketball game and a junior high one at that...a freakin junior high game!

With that said if it happens right in front of the ref, unobstructed I too will rain down some banter. If you can't see a jersey being pulled and the player being pulled in the opposite direction that the rest of their body is going then something's wrong. Especially when they were getting paid for it...then again I think I did get a free pop or something for reffing the game...

the refs did help the pats, but we would still have gotten beat down, although i think they used the same ref from that early Dallas Texans vs Boston Patriots game
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

The one way I noticed the refs helping NE was after their 3rd drive, the NE OL could pull Hali's pants down and give him a team buggering and it never got called. Every NE drive was accompanied by holds, tackles, and sodomy by their O line and it never got called. That was the way NE got on a roll.

Pope's stupid mistakes cost us more than any bad calls did!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Refs = non-factor
    I agree with this, but do hate the fact they called a holding penalty on Pope when it looks like he just pancacked a guy and the annoucers thought it was questionable, and then see them miss two blatanly obvious holds one on Tamba (which was hands to the face also, and one on Gilberry that saved Brady from getting his rear end smashed, as he completes a pass for 20 yards. The one hold on Gilberry was on the first TD that was blown coverage.

While I doubt it would have changed the outcome of the game, the calls did look to be favoring the GOLDEN BOY. as most games seem to, and I mean that watching the pats in games the Chiefs dont play.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12