Sunday, December 18 at 12:00pm CT

on

Watch Online:
    Kansas City Chiefs vs Green Bay Packers Live Stream Online

Line: Packers by 14, Over/Under 48.5

Trends:

The Packers are 9-4 ATS.
    The Packers are 4-3 ATS away.
    The Packers are 9-4 ATS as the favorite.
    The Packers are 4-3 ATS as an away favorite
    The Chiefs are 7-6 ATS.
    The Chiefs are 3-3 ATS at home.
    The Chiefs are 7-3 ATS as the underdog.
    The Chiefs are 3-0 ATS as a home underdog.

Chiefs Leaders

Passing
    Matt Cassil

160-269, 1713 yds, 10 tds

Rushing
    Jackie Battle

125 car, 504 yds, 1 td

Receiving
    Dawayne Bowe

65 rec, 937 yds, 4 tds

Packers Leaders

Passing
    Aaron Rodgers

305-438, 4125 yds, 39 tds

Rushing
    James Starks

127 car, 565 yds, 1 td

Receiving
    Jordy Nelson

67 rec, 949 yds, 9 tds

ESPN Preview

When talk of a perfect season began last month, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he wouldn't discuss the matter until several other goals were reached first.

McCarthy's team is now one victory away from turning its attention to perfection.

The Packers look to clinch home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs Sunday when they visit the struggling Kansas City Chiefs, who have a new coach and quarterback.

A week after clinching the NFC North, Green Bay (13-0) secured a first-round playoff bye with last Sunday's 46-16 victory over Oakland. The Packers won their 19th straight game -- the second-longest streak in NFL history -- and can become the fourth team to go 14-0 if they defeat Kansas City. A win would also give Green Bay the top seed in the NFC, leaving the potential to go 16-0 as the last remaining goal for the final two regular season games.

"Obviously, there's no other team that can say they're 13-0 right now and on the precipice of doing something great," linebacker Clay Matthews said. "But there's still a lot left that we need to accomplish. If you really want to look into it, the regular season does mean a whole lot if you get to the playoffs. So we're setting ourselves up nicely."

The Packers had little trouble against the Raiders, leading 31-0 by halftime and winning easily enough that quarterback Aaron Rodgers got an early rest, but an injury to Greg Jennings put a damper on the victory.

Jennings, who has a team-best 67 receptions for 949 yards and nine touchdowns, sprained his left knee in the third quarter and is expect to miss two to three weeks. McCarthy said the Pro Bowl receiver is likely to return for Green Bay's divisional playoff game the weekend of Jan. 14-15.

While the loss of Rodgers' favorite target is obviously a bit of an obstacle, Green Bay -- which leads the league in scoring average (35.8) and has already set a franchise record with 466 points -- has plenty of other offensive options.

Fifteen Packers have scored at least one offensive touchdown, and Rodgers has hooked up with nine receivers for scores.

Jordy Nelson has 51 catches and team highs of 957 yards and 10 touchdowns, while tight end Jermichael Finley has 42 receptions for 600 yards and six TDs. Rodgers also pointed to James Jones and rookie wide receiver Randall Cobb as players he expects to help make up for Jennings' absence.

"We feel that we have enough to move forward," McCarthy said. "Greg will be missed, but with that, it's more opportunity for the other perimeter players."

Of course, McCarthy feels confident about his other receivers in part because he knows his quarterback is fully capable of making plays.

Rodgers, who leads the NFL with 39 touchdowns and a 123.3 passer rating, is trying to become the first quarterback in NFL history to throw multiple TD passes in 14 consecutive games. He also needs just one more touchdown pass to establish a single-season franchise record.

While McCarthy, Rodgers and the rest of the Packers are gearing up for a possible second straight Super Bowl run, the Chiefs (5-8) are essentially looking to ahead to next season.

Although still mathematically alive in a weak AFC West, Kansas City fired coach Todd Haley a day after Sunday's 37-10 loss to the New York Jets and has replaced him with defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel.

Despite Haley's offensive background, his Chiefs ranked 28th in total offense (293.8 yards per game) and 31st in scoring (13.3). Season-ending injuries to All-Pro running back Jamaal Charles, quarterback Matt Cassel and tight end Tony Moeaki have hampered Kansas City.

Crennel now has the difficult challenge of getting a team that has lost five of six to knock off the Packers.

He has decided to drop Tyler Palko from starting quarterback to third string after he led the Chiefs to only two touchdowns in four games since taking over for Cassel. Kyle Orton will start Sunday unless an injury to his right index finger on his throwing hand causes him problems, and in that case rookie Ricky Stanzi would get the call for the first time in his career.

Claimed off waivers from Denver during Thanksgiving week, Orton dislocated his finger in his only play as a member of the Chiefs two weeks ago at Chicago.

Crennel had considered waiting until later in the week to announce the change at QB in an attempt to unsettle Green Bay, but realized it really wouldn't make much difference.

"(The Packers) look at Tyler and what he's done the last couple weeks, they look at Orton and know he has a finger, they look at a rookie," Crennel said. "So I don't think they're shaking in their boots about those choices."

The Packers lead the NFL with 27 interceptions -- nine more than any other team -- including three off Orton in a 49-23 victory over the Broncos in Week 4.

These teams haven't met since Green Bay's 33-22 win at Arrowhead Stadium on Nov. 4, 2007, which snapped a five-game Packers losing streak in the series.
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 12-18-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

I will not take the 14 points today hope I am wrong but! I also think the over and under will be over if we can score our normal 10 points 42-10 again I sure hope I am wrong but GB is looking pretty good lately and they have not lost in a year on top of that.

Also could you make a smaller first post in the thread so every page you do not have to scroll through all the stats and photos when you are seeing the long thread at the top of 18 pages it gets boring. You could start the thread and then post the stats and all in the second post. Just my 2 cents not attacking you just making a suggestion is all, I like the info and find it entertaining just to lazy to scroll through it on every page.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Also could you make a smaller first post in the thread so every page you do not have to scroll through all the stats and photos when you are seeing the long thread at the top of 18 pages it gets boring. You could start the thread and then post the stats and all in the second post. Just my 2 cents not attacking you just making a suggestion is all, I like the info and find it entertaining just to lazy to scroll through it on every page.
    That's a great idea, Dave! I hate that the first post is repeated at the top of every page. All the other forums I participate in just have the thread Title at the top of each page.

From now on I will basically just put the Title in the first post and all the other stuff in a 2nd post. And I'm giving you rep for suggesting it!

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    That's a great idea, Dave! I hate that the first post is repeated at the top of every page. All the other forums I participate in just have the thread Title at the top of each page.

From now on I will basically just put the Title in the first post and all the other stuff in a 2nd post. And I'm giving you rep for suggesting it!
    I think there is a way to change the settings so the first post doesnt show up at the top of every page. I am not sure how, but I know I dont see the first post at the top of every page.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I think there is a way to change the settings so the first post doesnt show up at the top of every page. I am not sure how, but I know I dont see the first post at the top of every page.
    You're right! It took me a few minutes to figure it out, but it can be done,

1. From the top menu below the Chiefs crowd banner select "User CP."
    2. On the left side in the "Settings and Options" box click on "Edit Options."
    3. Scroll down to "Thread Display Options." In the "Thread display mode" box open the pull down menu and select "Hybrid."
    4. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the "Save Changes" button.

Instead of displaying the first post at the top of every page, it will display a small scrollable "thread tree" box which can easily be ignored. All of the posts appear to be in chronological order just as they are in the default mode.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Let's go Chiefs! Lets see something, anything over 13 points today. A toast to new beginnings

To win we need:

1 rushing TD.
    2 passing TD's
    1 special teams TD
    1 defensive TD

9 sacks, 5 from my man Justin the rogers magnet!

And Packers to play their worse game of the year with 7 turnovers.

But I believe!
    Chiefs 35
    Packers 31

Go chiefs!!!!!!

If we get into a shootout we lose. Gotta be low scoring and ugly for us to win

Quote Originally Posted by toyotapower View Post
    If we get into a shootout we lose. Gotta be low scoring and ugly for us to win
    Winning ugly would be a beautiful thing.

I agree. If our offense can just sustain some drives, even if most of them end in just FGs, then I think the defense can hold the Packers to below their season average of 35.8 ppg. Protecting the ball is a must because the Packers defense leads the league in interceptions, but we've shown in past games that we are pretty good at picking the ball off as well.

The good news is that Gregg Jennings is out. The bad news is that Jordy Nelson and Jermichael Finley are both in.

With home field advantage, if we can win the turnover battle I think we can at least keep it close. If we lose something like 27 17 or so, I will see that as a very positive step in the right direction.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shock the NFL world end the packs unbeaten season GET IT DONE.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast