Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Denver Releases Kyle Orton

Default Denver Releases Kyle Orton

Adam Schefter reported on Twitter that the Broncos waived Kyle Orton: Twitter

I wouldn't mind the Chiefs picking him up and seeing if he can save the season. Doubt that would be the case, but Kyle Orton is capable of being a mediocre NFL QB.

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Sorry, Haley!
    LOL...ahh, ok!
    Unfortunately, I would be very shocked if the Chiefs claimed Orton. I imagine Haley really thinks that because Palko has been with the team longer, he has a much better grasp of the system and the plays than either Stanzi at this point, or a free agent pick-up like Orton. Definitely not saying I agree, because from a competitive standpoint, I think Orton has the experience and something to prove...and we could potentially catch lightning in a bottle with Orton. With the uncertainty of our division, we could catch fire with Orton and end up winning the division (ok, I am allowed to dream right?!)

It's wide open, but that window this year can close fast and we aren't out of it yet as bad as we have played.

And as for long term, I hate to say it, but since Pioli had no previous relationship with Orton in New England and considering I think Pioli does have alot of pride, I am not sure Pioli would go with Orton at the expense of Cassel. And I definitely don't think we could go into next year with both Cassel and Orton on the roster...that could mess up our lockerroom and end up dividing it.

Personally, I would consider claiming Orton, trying to get him ready as quickly as possible and see if he can give us a spark. If he does, then consider re-signing him as a stop-gap for a couple of years...that will buy us some time to see if Stanzi can be the answer...or if we need to look at acquiring one via the draft. This plan would include cutting Cassel, who I think lacks the ability to be a leader on the field....and doesn't have the confidence of his teammates if they were to be honest about him.

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    forget it. Haley's not interested

NFL

If you are gonna quote post the whole quote not just part of it. The chiefs will put in a request for orton it looks like after al;. He's not saying no to orton it just said as of now that the team is committed to palko because he's the best they have on the team at the moment.

Meanwhile, NFL.com's Steve Wyche reports that, according to a league source, the Chiefs are considering putting in a claim for Orton. The Chiefs put starting quarterback Matt Cassel on injured reserve Monday and got blown out by New England shortly afterwards with backup Tyler Palko under center. Kansas City coach Todd Haley said the team has discussed bringing in a veteran but remains committed to Palko as the starter and rookie Ricky Stanzi as the No. 2. Kansas City (4-6) is ninth in the waiver order.
    Last edited by marloweopatchiefs; 11-23-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Sportscenter just reported that Miami, Chicago and KC put in claims for him and Houston sent an inquiry to the league. Miami has first dibs and then KC, but they said that just because a team puts in a claim doesn't mean they'll take him, just that they would like a consideration in their respective position. Matt Moore is playing very well for Miami right now and I think will pass, so I think Pioli might over-rule Haley on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by marloweopatchiefs View Post
    If you are gonna quote post the whole quote not just part of it. The chiefs will put in a request for orton it looks like after al;. He's not saying no to orton it just said as of now that the team is committed to palko because he's the best they have on the team at the moment.

Meanwhile, NFL.com's Steve Wyche reports that, according to a league source, the Chiefs are considering putting in a claim for Orton. The Chiefs put starting quarterback Matt Cassel on injured reserve Monday and got blown out by New England shortly afterwards with backup Tyler Palko under center. Kansas City coach Todd Haley said the team has discussed bringing in a veteran but remains committed to Palko as the starter and rookie Ricky Stanzi as the No. 2. Kansas City (4-6) is ninth in the waiver order.

The only thing that should be committed is Haley. If we can hold on to Orton it will provide some competition in the QB position. To be committed to Cassel regardless of what happens and now doing the same thing with Palko it has become apparent that Haley has hitched his wagon to his players and it will be how the players do that will dictate what happens to Haley.

I'll admit I wasn't high on getting Orton and posted that we shouldn't in another thread, but that was mainly because I figured we'd end up paying him $2.5 million to play for 6 games which to me isn't worth it. If we get a draft pick if he leaves or we sign him long term and he provides competition there are upsides to both which makes me start to lean towards signing him. But to just outright say meh, I'm committed to the QB that's starting right now regardless of what's out there is ridiculously narrow minded.

it saves time. that's the way I always post. the link tells the whole story
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

This is amazing that both of my favorite teams are interested in picking him up!

Orton is a decent solid game manger QB. He's a lot like Cassel with maybe a little more accuracy.

I'm not sure about him in Chicago, though. The Bears didn't get rid of him because they were unhappy with him. He did a good job, but they thought Cutler would be better. Very little is known about Caleb Hanie (Cutler's Back=up) at this point. He looked good in the 2nd half of the NFC Championship game but did throw 2 picks that weren't entirely his fault. If I remember right, Johnny Knox had a catch just ripped out of his hands. The problem with Orton is that he has never played in a "Mike Martz style" offense before. It would take a few weeks for him to learn the system, and with the Chiefs, Broncos and Seahawks coming up, Hanie may be good enough to carry the Bears through. It would be nice to have Kyle as insurance though, becuase third stringer Nathan Enderle is no where near ready to play.

I think he would have an easier time picking up the Chiefs offense because it is very similar to what he played with the Bears when Ron Turner was the OC. Would he be enough to change some of our upcoming losses into wins, though? I'm not so sure, but his presence would set back the development of Palko and (later this year) Stanzi. Is that in the best interest of the team?

Since facing the Chiefs the Raiders have done pretty well with Carson Palmer and I think Orton is about as good as he is, but Oakland has faced a much easier schedule than what is ahead for the Chiefs.

I wouldn't be opposed to him going to either team, but I don't think he would be much help in either case.. He's a starting caliber QB, not just a short term patch, but he needs to be on a team that's a good fit for his skills. Miami would be a good fit for him, but now that they have won 3 games in a row, they probably have little interest in him.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 11-23-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    it saves time. that's the way I always post. the link tells the whole story

Sorry i wasn't trying to sound like an a$$. But the way you worded it you were saying that haley is saying no to orton. That's not what the thread says at all. It says they have had discussions on bringing in a veteran but at the moment at committed to tyler palko because he is the best qb on the roster at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I think The Broncos are foolish for not trying to get something for him. But then, maybe they already did that.

The Trade deadline is long past and he would be a free agent at the end of this season, so I don't think there was any way they could bet anything for him.

I will say this, though. The Broncos are giving the Raiders and Redskins competition for being the dumbest team in the NFL. They tried to get Cassel and ended up giving up Cutler for Orton, then they lose Orton in favor of Tebow.

They let Brandon Marshal and Brandon Loyd go. I just don't understand their thinking.

I like Orton and think he is a pretty good QB. But I posted these thoughts in another thread:

I'm not sure about him in Chicago, though. The Bears didn't get rid of him because they were unhappy with him. He did a good job, but they thought Cutler would be better. Very little is known about Caleb Hanie (Cutler's Back=up) at this point. He looked good in the 2nd half of the NFC Championship game but did throw 2 picks that weren't entirely his fault. If I remember right, Johnny Knox had a catch just ripped out of his hands. The problem with Orton is that he has never played in a "Mike Martz style" offense before. It would take a few weeks for him to learn the system, and with the Chiefs, Broncos and Seahawks coming up, Hanie may be good enough to carry the Bears through. It would be nice to have Kyle as insurance though, becuase third stringer Nathan Enderle is no where near ready to play.

I think he would have an easier time picking up the Chiefs offense because it is very similar to what he played with the Bears when Ron Turner was the OC. Would he be enough to change some of our upcoming losses into wins, though? I'm not so sure, but his presence would set back the development of Palko and (later this year) Stanzi. Is that in the best interest of the team?

Since facing the Chiefs the Raiders have done pretty well with Carson Palmer and I think Orton is about as good as he is, but Oakland has faced a much easier schedule than what is ahead for the Chiefs.

I wouldn't be opposed to him going to either team, but I don't think he would be much help in either case.. He's a starting caliber QB, not just a short term patch, but he needs to be on a team that's a good fit for his skills. Miami would be a good fit for him, but now that they have won 3 games in a row, they probably have little interest in him.

Sorry i wasn't trying to sound like an a$$. But the way you worded it you were saying that haley is saying no to orton. That's not what the thread says at all. It says they have had discussions on bringing in a veteran but at the moment at committed to tyler palko because he is the best qb on the roster at the moment.
    no big deal. it says "at the moment committed to tyler palko". that's the way I saw it
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

First, priority is determined based on record. Per a league source, here’s the current list: (1) Colts; (2) Panthers; (3) Rams; (4) Vikings; (5) Cardinals; (6) Redskins; (7) Jaguars; (8) Dolphins; (9) Chiefs; (10) Browns; (11) Eagles; (12) Chargers; (13) Seahawks; (14) Buccaneers; (15) Titans; (16) Bills; (17) Jets; (18) Broncos; (19) Giants; (20) Raider; (21) Bengals; (22) Cowboys; (23) Falcons; (24) Saints; (25) Texans; (26) Ravens; (27) Steelers; (28) Patriots; (29) Lions; (30) Bears; (31) 49ers; and (32) Packers
    Orton will be awarded on waivers at 4:00 p.m. ET | ProFootballTalk

The article also mentions that Orton will be awarded to the highest waiver claim at 4:00pm ET

When looking at the order, the only team that might be interested ahead of us is the Miami Dolphins...and largely due to Matt Moore's recent play, it might not be something they are interested in at this point anymore.

The rest I see either perfectly content to keep the status quo (Indianapolis) or have young quarterbacks they more than likely will continue to let develop as starters (Minnesota and Jacksonville). I don't see Arizona going after Orton with the committment they made contractually to Kolb.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast