Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm curious...do you think the Chiefs will keep Dwayne Bowe?

Default I'm curious...do you think the Chiefs will keep Dwayne Bowe?

Dwayne Bowe's contract ends this season. As of yet there has been no news whatsoever that he and the Chiefs are negotiating a new contract. Do you think the Chiefs will do what they can to keep Bowe? :/

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Let's just say that if Bowe had Matt Stafford or Tom Brady throwing to him, he'd probably be putting up Calvin Johnson type numbers.
    I definitely think he would be mentioned in the same sentence as Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson. As it stands, he is probably a notch below Marques Colston, but in reality, Bowe is tends to suffer fewer nagging injuries and also suffers from a very inconsistent offense. Colston is in a very dynamic, spread-the-ball offense...I think the Chiefs could have the pieces next year to emulate the New Orleans and Green Bay offensive systems. When Haley was in Arizona he had a somewhat similar offense, but was heavily tilted toward the wide receivers...both Green Bay and New Orleans have the wide receivers but have integrated the tight end position more this year. With Moeaki back, hopefully healthy, we could potentially have that type of diverse attack...provided we have a quarterback that can run that type of offense. IMO, Cassel is/will likely not ever be that quarterback.

You people forget about the franchise tag. If they don't get him signed he will be franchised at the end of the season. Just like they did with hali last year.

Quote Originally Posted by marloweopatchiefs View Post
    You people forget about the franchise tag.
    Nicfre2011 mentioned the franchise tag several posts ago. I, too, think this is the route the Chiefs will take.

Pioli has a history of locking up players he wants to keep early in the last year of their contracts, like he did with Flowers. I would guess that Bowe's agent has told him to reject any offer the Chiefs make in hopes of getting more in the free agent market. Otherwise, a reasonable offer would have been made and accepted by now. Why wouldn't the Chiefs try to keep one of the best receivers in the NFL?

My guess is that he won't accept any offer from the Chiefs and they will be forced to use the franchise tag on him, so he'll make good money next year. Early next season, he will finally cave and accept an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Nicfre2011 mentioned the franchise tag several posts ago. I, too, think this is the route the Chiefs will take.

Pioli has a history of locking up players he wants to keep early in the last year of their contracts, like he did with Flowers. I would guess that Bowe's agent has told him to reject any offer the Chiefs make in hopes of getting more in the free agent market. Otherwise, a reasonable offer would have been made and accepted by now. Why wouldn't the Chiefs try to keep one of the best receivers in the NFL?

My guess is that he won't accept any offer from the Chiefs and they will be forced to use the franchise tag on him, so he'll make good money next year. Early next season, he will finally cave and accept an extension.
    I don't think they'll franchise him. If they do, they have to pay the average of the 3 top position players. That means a HUGE salary and that has NEVER, EVER been Hunt or Pioli's way. It was worth it for a defensive player because the salary is relatively low. It would easily be $8-12 million a year for Bowe. That absolutely, positively will NEVER, EVER happen because they have NEVER, EVER done it before. But I can appreciate the dream like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    I don't think they'll franchise him. If they do, they have to pay the average of the 3 top position players. That means a HUGE salary and that has NEVER, EVER been Hunt or Pioli's way. It was worth it for a defensive player because the salary is relatively low. It would easily be $8-12 million a year for Bowe. That absolutely, positively will NEVER, EVER happen because they have NEVER, EVER done it before. But I can appreciate the dream like everyone else.
    You may be right but from their perspective, I think it makes more sense to pay him $10 million for one year than to pay him 50 million for a long term contract or lose him on the open market. That way they pay him what he will make anyway and they get to keep him for another year without a long term risk/investment. They have little chance of winning a bidding war for him.

I know they have never done it before but there is first time for everything and this time it might make the most sense.

They could hope to get another Baldwin in next years draft or take a chance on another cheaper free agent, but I have a hunch they will pull out all of the stops to try and field a Superbowl team next year. Remember too, that with the new CBA, next year is the only year that they can carry over this year's unused cap space and add it to next year's spending.

I think it depends on how much Bowe wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I think it depends on how much Bowe wants.
    I believe this to be true. I think they will wait and see what he wants, if he wants to be the top paid wide recciever in the league, then they will franchise him. If they can work out a deal that is good for both teams, they will resign him.

Remember, Tamba and Johnson were resigned very late in the season, I think this is clearly a ploy to wait and see what kind of numbers Bowe puts up, knowing that he likely will not have league leading numbers and the cost goes down.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

The thing is we really dont know how things are in the locker room or between coach and players well, unless your T.O. Now we have Pioli. I mean I was shocked and pissed each time I turned on the tv and he had traded J.A. and Tony G, and the list goes on. So really who knows. I trust in Pioli but to be honest sometimes he scares the living s#@t outa me on what he's gonna do next. But I do like him and and I hope he keeps Bowe. But again, WR's like big numbers and I hope that Orton can change his mind in that department if he really wants to leave. Go Bowe and Go Chiefs!

Letting go of Bowe is just a step backwards IMO. We are right back to where we were before taking Baldwin. And with this offenses total lack of effectiveness this season I can't imagine letting a Pro Bowl receiver go without an effort of keeping him.

chiefs will try, but pioli is known for not giving more thank market value on free agents. If Bowe wants to be here, he will, if not, he wont.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast