Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm curious...do you think the Chiefs will keep Dwayne Bowe?

Default I'm curious...do you think the Chiefs will keep Dwayne Bowe?

Dwayne Bowe's contract ends this season. As of yet there has been no news whatsoever that he and the Chiefs are negotiating a new contract. Do you think the Chiefs will do what they can to keep Bowe? :/

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

I certainly hope so. I know Bowe has had maturity issues but I think he has matured during his time in Kansas City. The bottom line is, he is our #1 receiving threat in the passing game and has been pretty much since being drafted. I think Haley has helped him mature and right now he seems to be very workmanlike. Also, consider he has essentially been the only threat on a pretty lackluster passing attack and has still produced...and had to deal with the inconsistencies at quarterback.

I think it would be a big mistake if the Chiefs let Bowe hit the free agent market - especially considering the amount of money that they are currently under the cap (after Flowers I think it was close to $30 million). Now barring Bowe wanting an outrageous extension or simply not wanting to play for the Chiefs, I would think a deal can and should get done.

Personally, I would not look at Baldwin as Bowe's replacement, but as a compliment to take the attention off of Bowe.

And, keep in mind we can franchise him this offseason, which is exactly what the front office may do to continue the "wait-and-see" game with Bowe that they seem to be in right now.

Quote Originally Posted by nicfre2011 View Post
    And, keep in mind we can franchise him this offseason, which is exactly what the front office may do to continue the "wait-and-see" game with Bowe that they seem to be in right now.

I agree, we also need a good QB to put all that fire power we have to good use. Cassel is not the man in my book.

I have many thoughts related to each of your thoughts, but I need to get busy preparing to host Thanksgiving dinner, so will re-visit this subject later tonight.

I will say this much for now, Dwayne is my favorite Chief, and he has been a favorite since drafting him in 2007, evolved into my very favorite his worst year, 2009. I will be absolutely heartbroken if the Chiefs lose him, for whatever reason. It's times like these I wish for days gone by, before Free Agency, when a player spent most of his career with the same team.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

ESPN talked about this yesterday on NFL Live. They said Pioli always wraps up his key players early and they said there was a 75-80% chance he would be wearing a different uniform next year. I hope not, but it isn't looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    ESPN talked about this yesterday on NFL Live. They said Pioli always wraps up his key players early and they said there was a 75-80% chance he would be wearing a different uniform next year. I hope not, but it isn't looking good.
    That's my fear. We are sitting on around $30 million under the cap right now after signing Flowers and could get a deal done if we wanted to...again, unless Bowe is going to/has asked for the world...or simply is biding his time to leave. I worry that Pioli drafted Baldwin with the idea of replacing Bowe and not the idea of adding another weapon in the passing game to take the pressure off of Bowe.

Maybe Pioli feels Bowe is not one of the "right 53".

He's looking at how many draft picks he can get...

That's my fear. We are sitting on around $30 million under the cap right now after signing Flowers and could get a deal done if we wanted to...again, unless Bowe is going to/has asked for the world...or simply is biding his time to leave. I worry that Pioli drafted Baldwin with the idea of replacing Bowe and not the idea of adding another weapon in the passing game to take the pressure off of Bowe.

Maybe Pioli feels Bowe is not one of the "right 53".
    Also makes you wonder if all of this isn't manifesting into some drops. Bowe doesn't really have his head in the game and so he drops routine passes. But when a ball is thrown and he has to make a difficult catch his brain and his natural athleticism makes him work for the catch. Just a thought, not really saying that's the case.

If it is the problem though I'd be working my butt off to prove Pioli wrong and to give me a big contract. That is if I really wanted to stay in KC.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Also makes you wonder if all of this isn't manifesting into some drops. Bowe doesn't really have his head in the game and so he drops routine passes. But when a ball is thrown and he has to make a difficult catch his brain and his natural athleticism makes him work for the catch. Just a thought, not really saying that's the case.

If it is the problem though I'd be working my butt off to prove Pioli wrong and to give me a big contract. That is if I really wanted to stay in KC.
    It's a good thought, but I really don't think that is the real case. I think Bowe is who he is...the type of wide receiver that will at times lose concentration and drop what looks like an easy pass and on the very next pass make a catch that makes you go "wow!". I think for alot of players that is the nature of the position to an extent. That was his knock coming out of LSU and while I think he has improved alot and become alot more dependable, I still think he will drop the occassional "easy" catch.

I just don't think it is easy to get a read on what Bowe's true impact can be until we get consistent quarterback play. One of Bowe's strengths coming out of LSU (in addition to his downfield blocking) was his ability to make plays with the ball in his hands after the catch (due to his size, strength, and athleticism). One thing that helps a wide receiver make plays after the catch is when the ball is thrown to the receiver while they are in motion...to allow them to keep their momentum. It seems like alot of Cassel's throws while maybe being in the "vicinity" do require the wide receiver to reposition or adjust to a ball that just isn't that accurate.

I think Bowe would be alot more effective (and I think Baldwin could develop to make an impact the same way) if he had more passes hit him in stride on crossing routes, timing routes, etc.

It's a good thought, but I really don't think that is the real case. I think Bowe is who he is...the type of wide receiver that will at times lose concentration and drop what looks like an easy pass and on the very next pass make a catch that makes you go "wow!". I think for alot of players that is the nature of the position to an extent. That was his knock coming out of LSU and while I think he has improved alot and become alot more dependable, I still think he will drop the occassional "easy" catch.

I just don't think it is easy to get a read on what Bowe's true impact can be until we get consistent quarterback play. One of Bowe's strengths coming out of LSU (in addition to his downfield blocking) was his ability to make plays with the ball in his hands after the catch (due to his size, strength, and athleticism). One thing that helps a wide receiver make plays after the catch is when the ball is thrown to the receiver while they are in motion...to allow them to keep their momentum. It seems like alot of Cassel's throws while maybe being in the "vicinity" do require the wide receiver to reposition or adjust to a ball that just isn't that accurate.

I think Bowe would be alot more effective (and I think Baldwin could develop to make an impact the same way) if he had more passes hit him in stride on crossing routes, timing routes, etc.
    This is what I've been trying to say from day one but haven't ever said it so succinctly. Rep!

One thing that helps a wide receiver make plays after the catch is when the ball is thrown to the receiver while they are in motion...to allow them to keep their momentum. It seems like alot of Cassel's throws while maybe being in the "vicinity" do require the wide receiver to reposition or adjust to a ball that just isn't that accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    This is what I've been trying to say from day one but haven't ever said it so succinctly. Rep!
    Let's just say that if Bowe had Matt Stafford or Tom Brady throwing to him, he'd probably be putting up Calvin Johnson type numbers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast