Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So what happens

Default So what happens

If orton comes in and clicks really well with the offense and they score alot of points and win some games before seasons end. At least 2 or 3. Will people still wanna draft a qb and get rid of orton? Or sign him to a contract and trade cassell?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Cash?

Draft picks.

We have three young guys who can be stalwarts for years to come. All we need there is a LOT to get Albert into a position that better fits his abilities, and the O-line can grow together and become a dominant force.

You just aren't going to find a real LOT in free agency. You are going to find ROTs trying to get a LOT payday, and high-risk, injury-prone LOTs.

The same way so many people want a stud QB, I want a stud LOT.

I want Albert at LG, Hudson at C, and Asamoah at RG and Khalil at LOT.

Then we can go buy a ROT. Good ROTs are actually allowed to hit the free agent market.
    Unfortunately I don't see Pioli and company giving up what needs to be given up to trade up and draft Khalil. Past Khalil the only other LOT that I see is worth anything is Jonathan Martin from Standford. He'll probably be right there for us (or a small trade up) depending on where we pick as he's predicted (right now) as a top 10 pick. Past that I see RT's, tackles that probably should be guards and then it's down into the 3rd round and later.

Not saying a stud tackle can't be found there it's just that it's well out of starting LT in the first round range. I wouldn't be upset with either Khalil or Martin but past that I'd be tempted to trade down or get one of those QB's that'll be floating around like Jones from Oklahoma or RG3 like everyone seems to want.

Cash?

Draft picks.

We have three young guys who can be stalwarts for years to come. All we need there is a LOT to get Albert into a position that better fits his abilities, and the O-line can grow together and become a dominant force.

You just aren't going to find a real LOT in free agency. You are going to find ROTs trying to get a LOT payday, and high-risk, injury-prone LOTs.

The same way so many people want a stud QB, I want a stud LOT.

I want Albert at LG, Hudson at C, and Asamoah at RG and Khalil at LOT.

Then we can go buy a ROT. Good ROTs are actually allowed to hit the free agent market.

I think every one here would like to see Khalil,including me. But what would we have to give up, I 'm thinking we will be drafting from 7 to 10. To insure that we get him we would have to give up our first and probably a second and 3rd. If it takes that we would have to trade either Cassel or Orton if we sign orton in order to be able to give that much.Assuming we could get a second for the lesser of the two. I think Khalil would be a very safe pick even if we had to take him at number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Unfortunately I don't see Pioli and company giving up what needs to be given up to trade up and draft Khalil. Past Khalil the only other LOT that I see is worth anything is Jonathan Martin from Standford. He'll probably be right there for us (or a small trade up) depending on where we pick as he's predicted (right now) as a top 10 pick. Past that I see RT's, tackles that probably should be guards and then it's down into the 3rd round and later.

Not saying a stud tackle can't be found there it's just that it's well out of starting LT in the first round range. I wouldn't be upset with either Khalil or Martin but past that I'd be tempted to trade down or get one of those QB's that'll be floating around like Jones from Oklahoma or RG3 like everyone seems to want.
    I've been leaning more towards RG3 myself as well, but did want to mention Riely Reiff form Iowa (Pioli has the relationship with Frentz, and could be a possibility).

He is I think the 3rd rated OT, and is projected as a LOT (has been mentioned that he is more of a sure LOT than Bullagga from GB was, which Bullagga is a ROT now)

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I think every one here would like to see Khalil,including me. But what would we have to give up, I 'm thinking we will be drafting from 7 to 10. To insure that we get him we would have to give up our first and probably a second and 3rd. If it takes that we would have to trade either Cassel or Orton if we sign orton in order to be able to give that much.Assuming we could get a second for the lesser of the two. I think Khalil would be a very safe pick even if we had to take him at number 1.
    Yes. I realize that it is a long shot to think we would ever trade up in the first.

But that is what I would be looking to do.

Yes. I realize that it is a long shot to think we would ever trade up in the first.

But that is what I would be looking to do.

I think the Colts are making sure they get the first pick. They could go after Khalil as well as Luck. It would make sense either way as even when manning gets back, he will need more protection then ever. I think every team that drafts before us will have a need for Khalil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I've been leaning more towards RG3 myself as well, but did want to mention Riely Reiff form Iowa (Pioli has the relationship with Frentz, and could be a possibility).

He is I think the 3rd rated OT, and is projected as a LOT (has been mentioned that he is more of a sure LOT than Bullagga from GB was, which Bullagga is a ROT now)
    Everything I've seen thus far has Reiff moving to ROT and starting there. I can't say I've seen anything mentioning him as a LOT but I'd sure be happy if he can play LOT better than Albert. Any upgrade is always good regardless of how you fall into it.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Everything I've seen thus far has Reiff moving to ROT and starting there. I can't say I've seen anything mentioning him as a LOT but I'd sure be happy if he can play LOT better than Albert. Any upgrade is always good regardless of how you fall into it.

This is what I saw on CBS Sports.com (just a paragraph taken out of his scouting report)

"Unlike Bulaga, however, there is little doubt that Reiff can play left tackle at the next level. He does have to improve his hand placement and lower-body strength to handle NFL-caliber defenders, but given his athleticism, tenacity in the run game, and relative youth, teams will have no problems projecting him as a solid first round prospect with considerable upside."

Like I said, just what I read on a scouting report. I by no means consider myself a scout haha.

If Orton comes in and puts points on the board and gets this offense moving consistently, then I say he has to be our starter until he shows he can no longer handle it. If he does well enough this year to earn the starting position, then we would have to trade Cassel to get out of the $12 million a year he is costing and develop Stanzi for a back up. After 2 games I don't think Palko is going to be a legitimate back up. He could still prove me wrong, but he has done far worse than Cassel. Even for Cassel haters, you have to admit Cassel is as safe with the ball as anyone can be with this OL.

Also another little piece of info on Rieff that Pioli will like...

He has started games at LOT, ROT, and LG (Having most of his starts coming at LOT. LG and RT were previous seasons due to injuries)

FLEXABILITY, which he likes may see us likely watching Reiff in red next season.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    If Orton comes in and puts points on the board and gets this offense moving consistently, then I say he has to be our starter until he shows he can no longer handle it. If he does well enough this year to earn the starting position, then we would have to trade Cassel to get out of the $12 million a year he is costing and develop Stanzi for a back up. After 2 games I don't think Palko is going to be a legitimate back up. He could still prove me wrong, but he has done far worse than Cassel. Even for Cassel haters, you have to admit Cassel is as safe with the ball as anyone can be with this OL.
    The good news is that it won't cost us $12 million a year to dump Cassel. His contract was insanely front loaded and next year his salary is $5.25 million with what I'd imagine has $2 million in bonuses or incentives.

At $12 million it'd almost be insane to dump him, for $5.25 if Orton is showing something then yeah buh bye Cassel. Palko isn't a backup on any team in the NFL and he's shown that. I knew that as soon as they declared Palko the starter. I went up to training camp a few times over the years and have watched him when he's been in the game. He's inaccurate with a weak arm and makes bad decisions. Quite honestly I don't even know how he's in the league. So saying that Cassel is better with the ball is like comparing a starting high school QB to a college QB.

Both have shown what we have and what the other lacks. I think because of this that I wouldn't be shocked if we see a QB selected in the first round. I'm hoping its an O-lineman like Martin out of Stanford.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123