Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why are we cheating Stanzi out of an opportunity?

Default Why are we cheating Stanzi out of an opportunity?

I'm not sold on Orton, I wouldn't mind being wrong but there is a thread about that already. I am confused as to why they made a decision on Palko after one NFL start and in effect completely passed on Stanzi. God knows if we judged Cassel like that we would have got a new quarterback three years ago.

Looking solely at college stats Ricky has numbers close to several guys that started as rookies and have had some success with a higher ceiling than our current veterans.

Stanzi 59.8% completion rate, 58 td 31 int @ Iowa

Newton 65.4% completion rate, 30 td 7 int @ FL & AUB not counting JUCO

Stafford 57.2% completion rate, 51 td 33 int @ Georgia

Freeman 59.1% completion rate, 44 td 34 int @ K State

I know hes the most popular guy on the team but I am looking for a long term solution to a postion that has been iffy on this team for some time now. I support Cassel no matter how bad he makes me look but he isn't getting any younger.

Palko probably got the start beacuse of the familiarity with our offensive system. He's was here last year, and they probably thought (which I agree) that Palko gave us the best chance to beat the Pat's because we wouldn't have to limit the playbook.

They might just not think Stanzi is ready to this point. He might not even know the entire playbook, because when the regular season starts, backups RARELY get reps practicing our plays. They normally are running the scout team and focus on the other teams playbook.

I heard the other day that it wasn't until year 3 that Ben Rothlesburger was allowed to even see the entire playbook in Pittsburgh. It might have been more of a mental readiness than a physical.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    I'm not sold on Orton, I wouldn't mind being wrong but there is a thread about that already. I am confused as to why they made a decision on Palko after one NFL start and in effect completely passed on Stanzi. God knows if we judged Cassel like that we would have got a new quarterback three years ago.

Looking solely at college stats Ricky has numbers close to several guys that started as rookies and have had some success with a higher ceiling than our current veterans.

Stanzi 59.8% completion rate, 58 td 31 int @ Iowa

Newton 65.4% completion rate, 30 td 7 int @ FL & AUB not counting JUCO

Stafford 57.2% completion rate, 51 td 33 int @ Georgia

Freeman 59.1% completion rate, 44 td 34 int @ K State

I know hes the most popular guy on the team but I am looking for a long term solution to a postion that has been iffy on this team for some time now. I support Cassel no matter how bad he makes me look but he isn't getting any younger.

We need to win games plain and simple. Palko is more ready then Stanzi and Orton is better than Palko and has been there. We cant just quit, Orton is our best chance at this point.

I fully support the decision to use Palko over Ricky for now, my issue stems from they had a chance to see what both of these guys can offer us and flushed it by bringing in Orton. We are not going to the playoffs without a Devine intervention so I don't believe that was the reasoning. We can not drop the pats and steelers games both and hope that the rest of the division sucks it up with us. If Palko can get the win why not let him keep going and let Stanzi actually be a backup? You can get any practice squad guy and throw them in as a scout qb.

I thought it was a good move to claim Orton. He is highly coveted. The Chiefs should hold him a couple weeks and wait to see if they can squeeze out a draft pick in a trade from Chicago. This scenario is the ONLY way that I see the claim of Orton as a good move.

If the the claim of Kyle Orton is legitimate and they want him as a competitor to start this season, it only tells me that the Chiefs are still believers in Matt Cassel, which is disappointing. A Kyle Orton claim means they don't want to know what they have in Stanzi before they head to the draft. The only reason they WOULDN'T want to know is because they still believe Matt Cassel is the answer at QB next season and beyond. If the Chiefs had any ideas of drafting a QB with a top 6 draft pick, they would be trying to figure if they NEEDED to make such a pick by playing Stanzi.

The Orton claim would make sense if Stanzi was the starter right now because Orton could compete with Cassel next season as the starter. Then, whoever the QBOTF is, whether it be Stanzi or a first round pick, would sit behind the starter for at least one more season.

If they plan on starting Orton this season in hopes of getting a couple more wins, then I think that's tragic. Never let a disaster go to waste. This is the perfect time to be evaluating what you have to set up your offseason in hopes of having a great 2012. With a few great free agent signings and a nice draft class along with all the returning injured players AND a last place schedule, 2012 is shaping up to be one of those seasons that could lead to a deep playoff run. But the franchise is just letting this opportunity go to waste and it really is disappointing.

I think it is as simple as Pioli is on the hot seat, no matter what "NFL insiders" say. I think right now he wants the best chance to win to save his job and he'll worry about next season after this one's over. Stanzi had a terrible preseason, much worse than any of the other 1st round picks. Could he grow into a good QB? Maybe, but the odds aren't in his favor when you factor in the history of struggling rookie QB's. Pioli has to win and I think Stanzi is about #54 on his list of priorities right now.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    I think it is as simple as Pioli is on the hot seat, no matter what "NFL insiders" say. I think right now he wants the best chance to win to save his job and he'll worry about next season after this one's over. Stanzi had a terrible preseason, much worse than any of the other 1st round picks. Could he grow into a good QB? Maybe, but the odds aren't in his favor when you factor in the history of struggling rookie QB's. Pioli has to win and I think Stanzi is about #54 on his list of priorities right now.
    Pioli's job on the hotseat? No chance.

Haley's? Almost no chance.

But Pioli's? No.

Losing your biggest contributing players for the season means that the season is a wash, especially for the GM.

I think you are way off base on this one.

I think you can't go wrong with having Orton, Cassel, Stanzi and Palko competing for the starting QB position. I'm sure the coaches know where all of these guys rank better then we do. Adding Orton tells me they know they need help at QB just we like we do! That's a good thing in IMO! Now Cassel needs to be out a legitimate QB like Orton!

Thing is I don't see how Stanzi can have any chance of competing against those three. At this point on the surface it appears that they will end up releasing Ricky at some point in 2012 if they keep Orton. If Kyle ends up leaving they still screwed Stanzi.

Haley has a history of having 2 Qbs active with one running the scout team. As a Chiefs fan I have serious doubts whether or not this organization could ever develop a QB. The signing of Orton further proves this to me. If we are going to buy a QB I think we could have done better, though if Orton proves me wrong that crow will taste good.

Palko made some mistakes in NE but it was his first start. Is it truely throwing a season away if they stuck with the kid and give him more than one game before declaring him unfit to remain the starter?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Pioli's job on the hotseat? No chance.

Haley's? Almost no chance.

But Pioli's? No.

Losing your biggest contributing players for the season means that the season is a wash, especially for the GM.

I think you are way off base on this one.
    If Pioli and Haley's jobs aren't on the line, then I need to seriously rethink my loyalties-junior isn't ever going to win a Super Bowl. The Packers lost even more starters than us and won the Super Bowl. The injury excuse has been played to death. It isn't the injuries, it is a lack of drafting what we need most, like the O and D lines and linebackers. That is an oversight that has caused injuries and set us back more than the injuries themselves. That is poor management. I am not ready to throw them over board, but if there isn't ant impetus on them to get this team better than they are now, this franchise is hopeless.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast