Thread: Chiefs Waive Gaither

Default Chiefs Waive Gaither

Well, I guess he the false start penalty was the last straw:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4497/jared-gaither

So much for hoping he could replace Richardson haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Well, I guess he the false start penalty was the last straw:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4497/jared-gaither
    I am surprised by this. I have to think there must be something else behind the move because I find it hard to believe he would have been waived simply because of the false start. If so, then our coaching staff/front office is absolutely inept. The fact that right after Albert went down the Chiefs took a timeout would have allowed for Albert to return to the game (the ref even explained that when he came back in)...and he came back on the very next play after the false start. I highly doubt the couple seconds he was on the sideline were the difference on whether he could play or not. So why risk having a player that has largely played jumbo right tackle come in on a high pressure play to play left tackle if your starter is only going to stand on the sideline for a couple seconds after you call a timeout??

Now, if there are things that went on behind the scenes like nagging injuries or conditioning issues, I can understand...but now we NEED to upgrade right tackle unless we are ok with continuing to help out Richardson on passing plays.

The Barry Richardson Project is over- that guy has to go, or at least be relegated to being a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by nicfre2011 View Post
    I am surprised by this. I have to think there must be something else behind the move because I find it hard to believe he would have been waived simply because of the false start. If so, then our coaching staff/front office is absolutely inept. The fact that right after Albert went down the Chiefs took a timeout would have allowed for Albert to return to the game (the ref even explained that when he came back in)...and he came back on the very next play after the false start. I highly doubt the couple seconds he was on the sideline were the difference on whether he could play or not. So why risk having a player that has largely played jumbo right tackle come in on a high pressure play to play left tackle if your starter is only going to stand on the sideline for a couple seconds after you call a timeout??

Now, if there are things that went on behind the scenes like nagging injuries or conditioning issues, I can understand...but now we NEED to upgrade right tackle unless we are ok with continuing to help out Richardson on passing plays.
    Gaither has always been nagged by injuries, so I'm assuming that figures into it as well.

Jared should have been waived. He was given 12 weeks to earn his spot at rt, and after 12 weeks he was still not as good as Barry Richardson. I think the fact that he false started when we got an opportunity was the last straw.

To not start a guy as big as a house, he had to be hurt pretty good. The guy had chronic
    Back problems, didnt he? For that reason alone, i never would've considered picking him up
    Last edited by KCraised; 11-29-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Jared should have been waived. He was given 12 weeks to earn his spot at rt, and after 12 weeks he was still not as good as Barry Richardson. I think the fact that he false started when we got an opportunity was the last straw.
    True; it was a complete lack of concentration on his part. A false start on your own home field is inexcusable. It's not like the guy had to deal with crowd noise.

Wow. I'm surprised by this, too. Picking him up in the first place was a gamble, but our O-line doesn't have much depth as it is. I don't see how letting him go makes the team better.

The O-line does seem to be playing better lately. Maybe they just need more time to gel as a unit. But this makes upgrading the O-line in the off season that much more important.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Wow. I'm surprised by this, too. Picking him up in the first place was a gamble, but our O-line doesn't have much depth as it is. I don't see how letting him go makes the team better.

The O-line does seem to be playing better lately. Maybe they just need more time to gel as a unit. But this makes upgrading the O-line in the off season that much more important.
    According to Arrowhead Pride they did it to make room for David Mims.

"The Kansas City Chiefs have confirmed that offensive tackle Jared Gaither has been released from the 53-man roster. And, according to a couple of reports from 810 WHB's Jay Binkley and Soren Petro, he's expected to be replaced by OT David Mims from the practice squad. (The Chiefs haven't confirmed that yet.)

Mims went through training camp with the Chiefs and, as Petro said on Twitter, he certainly looks the part of an NFL player getting off the bus coming in at 6'8" and 335 pounds.

We haven't heard from Todd Haley on Gaither's release (and won't until tomorrow) so we're not sure why the move was made now. Most people are pointing out Gaither's false start penalty on his fill-in snap for an injured Brandon Albert.

The Chiefs offensive tackle situation is now: Brandon Albert, Barry Richardson, Steve Maneri and soon-to-be David Mims."

Chiefs Confirm Jared Gaither Release; David Mims On His Way - Arrowhead Pride

I remember someone talking about Mims earlier and if he's developed he could be the stud we hoped Gaither could be. I just hope we aren't rushing Mims into it and that he's ready and can produce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast