Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Value of Matt Cassel

Default Trade Value of Matt Cassel

So, I want to pose a hypothetical question. How much do you think we can get by trading Matt Cassel? Now I am not a Cassel hater. I know he is no Aaron Rodgers or even Eli Manning, but I think if he is given a GOOD offensive line, he could lead this team deep into the playoffs.

I ask this question, because the only scenario where it would make sense to me to draft a QB in the first round were if we were to trade away Matt Cassel would be if we were to receive a 1st round draft pick, or a young pro-bowl caliber OT, ILB, NT.

If we were able to get an OT for Matt Cassel (either a direct trade or via a 1st round draft pick) then I would understand picking up a young QB in the draft.

I don't know what his trade value is, but I highly doubt we're going to trade him.

I would like to see us enter camp next year with Cassell, Orton, and Stanzi. Let the battle begin!

I'm thinking he's a high second round pick to maybe a low first round pick level.

I don't think we would do much better than a third rounder.
    Chiefs in 2011

I would say 4th or 5th rounder. Someone would want him to be backup at least.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Considering only 3 teams were willing to claim Orton off waivers (and Dallas just did it to mess with the Bears) I don't think Cassel would get more than a 2nd or third, especially with his large contracr,

That's not to say he isn't a decent QB, but high draft picks are usually overvalued based on what teams could get with them, compared to what they usually do get with them.

His contract would make his trade value pretty low I think.
    The Chiefs are Back!

This year's draft has a strong QB class so I think his trade value would be fairly low.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    So, I want to pose a hypothetical question. How much do you think we can get by trading Matt Cassel? Now I am not a Cassel hater. I know he is no Aaron Rodgers or even Eli Manning, but I think if he is given a GOOD offensive line, he could lead this team deep into the playoffs.

I ask this question, because the only scenario where it would make sense to me to draft a QB in the first round were if we were to trade away Matt Cassel would be if we were to receive a 1st round draft pick, or a young pro-bowl caliber OT, ILB, NT.

If we were able to get an OT for Matt Cassel (either a direct trade or via a 1st round draft pick) then I would understand picking up a young QB in the draft.
    I suppose if we could pick up a 1st round pick then it might be worth it but I doubt we'd get what he's worth to this team, from the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Considering only 3 teams were willing to claim Orton off waivers (and Dallas just did it to mess with the Bears) I don't think Cassel would get more than a 2nd or third, especially with his large contracr,

That's not to say he isn't a decent QB, but high draft picks are usually overvalued based on what teams could get with them, compared to what they usually do get with them.
    I dont think you can judge who put in a waiver request this late in the season as who wants a QB. Teams like Washington, Jacksonville, Miami, Seattle, Denver (if Elway has his way) could all use an upgrade over their current QB situation, but wouldnt consider picking up Orton only for the last few weeks of the season.
    The teams that usually put in waiver requests for a QB are teams that are competitive in their divisions lost a QB and need better player to stay competitive and to possibly compete in the playoffs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast