Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pass Rush? What Pass Rush?

Default Pass Rush? What Pass Rush?

Just wanted to post a positive note about the Defensive side of the ball....

In week 11, the Chiefs were at the bottom of the league in the sacks department with I think 9... Since then

10 Sacks in last 3 weeks
    4 Int's in last 3 weeks
    3 FF's in last 3 weeks

And the pressure has been outstanding, guys like Amon Gordon, and Wallace Gillberry have shown up. And JUSTIN HOUSTON!!! WOW this dude has played lights out the last 3 weeks, he is all over the field, and became and every down OLB. He not only has begun to provide a good pass rush opposite Hali, he is all over the field. While watching the games, I think I could honestly say I see his jersey around the play at least 80% of the time.

He is always in the mix, and looks to be what we are missing on D!

I think with the young Core talent we have on D, we are at a point to where just 1 or 2 FA talents (already proven) away from being a nasty defense! (continue to build through the draft, but I think now is the time to look to adding those difference makers through FA.)

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

It also seems romeo finally decided to blitz more. And they seem tobe alot more aggresive on the defense.
    This is all good. To bad it took most of the year to figure it out.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    As I had said in the first post, I of course still want to draft defensive players in order to develop them, and sustain our defense for years to come, but along with that I do feel like with the young core group of defensive talent we have, it is the perfect time to add let's say 2 deference makers via free agency that can come in and produce right away.

3 player's I would love to see us get:

Curtis Lofton ILB from Atlanta. I like Belcher and his story and feel like he has been a diamond in the rough for us, but could only imagine if Lofton lined up next to DJ. With the improved play of Houston, we could now consider our lB corps among the best in the league! Belcher, would still play a pivitol role for us rotating at ILB.

Calias Cample DE from Arizona. Knows Haley through his days in Arizona, is not considered an "Elite" DE so he may not warrant an outrageous paycheck, but is big enough to play the 3-4 DE in our system. Would be able to take Jackson's place (and rotate) and improve our pass rush. Plus the dude is a BEAST (6'8" 300lbs)

And finally we need Safety Depth....

So I'm thinking Brandon Merriweather. Has the history with Pioli, has starting experience, and a pro bowl season. Would probably be willing to take a rotational/ backup role to Kendrick Lewis, as he is in this situation in Chicago now. After being let go by New England, and now not starting in Chicago, shouldn't require much cash to bring him in, and will provide a better option at safety than any other backup currently on our roster.

just some thoughts....
    The additions of Siler and Berry would just about cover all of that.

Our depth at Safety has become top-notch.

McGraw, Piscatelli and Washington have stepped up big time. And McGraw would be a viable starter, if Berry were not returning.

I think consistency is all that is missing from this defense, especially if Justin Houston continues to perform.

The only position I would be worried about might be NT. Gregg is ok. But I would really like to find out what Powe has to offer.

Not that I am advocating neglecting the defense, come draft time, but I would seriously be working hard to make the offense my top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Nothing would help our defense more than a better offense. Nothing would help our offense more than offensive line help. My vote is to get the best tackle on the board. Move him to right or left tackle. Depending I if he can beat out branden for the starting lt spot.
    Agreed.

I would even try real hard to move up to get that guy.

The absence of JC this season has forced our o-line to learn how to run block for mere mortal RBs, and they have had to deal with a pass rush that was not slowed by the threat of Charles making them look silly.

And they have actually looked pretty good, as a pass-protecting unit, for five of the last seven games.

I see so much promise in this team, as most are ready to throw the whole thing out and start over.

I sure hope that Pioli sees what I am seeing.

Get that LOT and, if he isn't ready to knock Albert out of his way immediately, then start him at ROT until he is.

Either way, getting Richardson out of the starting line-up would be a very good thing.

This D really IS shaping up. Cant wait till next season when the O has some of its weapons back

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    The pass rush has improved big time Houston has been really good. I have also been seeing more and more of Bailey and have liked what I have seen so far. I think many underrated our draft class. There are a few rookies that are starting to show what they can do and that's great for this team
    And look what happens- when they have to start making adjustments for Hali and Houston, guys like Tyson and others end up getting sacks as well.

I agree with Coach- our main deficiency is O-line.

Soooo, is the general feeling that Haley's stays? Or our DC finally got this squad going in the right direction and we still need changes at head coach? Just asking.

Haley has one year left on his contract- I'm totally cool with him coming back for at least that. It will do more damage to the team's progress to get rid of him and start all over with a new coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I knew there was someone I forgot to mention when I started the thread...My apologies to Mr. Bailey haha

Bailey is still very new. I was watching the Steelers game with a friend of mine and I told him I don't no where this Bailey guy came from but I want to see more of him. He's been playing really well Hopefully he can keep it up.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    And look what happens- when they have to start making adjustments for Hali and Houston, guys like Tyson and others end up getting sacks as well.

I agree with Coach- our main deficiency is O-line.
    Yeah If Tyson can keep playing like he did Sunday then I think we can finally stop looking at him like he's a bust. I noticed him a couple of times on Sunday. He's had good games before but has never been able to keep it up. Hopefully he can start to play at a high level every week.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    This D really IS shaping up. Cant wait till next season when the O has some of its weapons back
    The problem in years past is that we can never seem to get the "D" and the "O" to play well at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Yeah If Tyson can keep playing like he did Sunday then I think we can finally stop looking at him like he's a bust. I noticed him a couple of times on Sunday. He's had good games before but has never been able to keep it up. Hopefully he can start to play at a high level every week.
    I think he has been a monster almost all year.

Even when we played The Broncos, and they ran on us like a faucet, the front was still tough.

Basically, you are not supposed to notice a 3-4 DE. You are supposed to notice the LBs, because the DEs are making it possible for them to make plays.

And, I think most would agree, that our LBing crew has been awfully good, for the most part.

I think that Jackson and Dorsey have been excellent in 2011.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast