Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pass Rush? What Pass Rush?

Default Pass Rush? What Pass Rush?

Just wanted to post a positive note about the Defensive side of the ball....

In week 11, the Chiefs were at the bottom of the league in the sacks department with I think 9... Since then

10 Sacks in last 3 weeks
    4 Int's in last 3 weeks
    3 FF's in last 3 weeks

And the pressure has been outstanding, guys like Amon Gordon, and Wallace Gillberry have shown up. And JUSTIN HOUSTON!!! WOW this dude has played lights out the last 3 weeks, he is all over the field, and became and every down OLB. He not only has begun to provide a good pass rush opposite Hali, he is all over the field. While watching the games, I think I could honestly say I see his jersey around the play at least 80% of the time.

He is always in the mix, and looks to be what we are missing on D!

I think with the young Core talent we have on D, we are at a point to where just 1 or 2 FA talents (already proven) away from being a nasty defense! (continue to build through the draft, but I think now is the time to look to adding those difference makers through FA.)

Pioli is still making good decisions in spite of what I want in the short term. With what we have left of our team to play the Pats, Steelers and the Bears D the way we have is impressive. I hope he does add some FA not only to the D but the O as well.

Not to mention for Da Bearse game we had 52 tackles. Ten of those were for a loss. Three interceptions (one was at the end of the game in a jump ball situation) and seven sacks...I'll say that again, seven sacks in ONE game.

Of those sacks three are from our rookie Justin Houston, one from Derick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Tyson Jackson and John McGraw.

Of the ten tackles for losses Houston had three, both Derick Johnson and Tyson Jackson had two and then Hali, Belcher and McGraw had one. Just an absolute monster of a game from our D!

I have to say they looked inspired and I have to say I can understand why. Coming out of the tunnel for the second half and seeing us in the lead would light a fire under my butt too. Then tacking on a field goal and knowing that one score that you can prevent would give the entire team the win. Heck yeah that's inspiration.

As I had said in the first post, I of course still want to draft defensive players in order to develop them, and sustain our defense for years to come, but along with that I do feel like with the young core group of defensive talent we have, it is the perfect time to add let's say 2 deference makers via free agency that can come in and produce right away.

3 player's I would love to see us get:

Curtis Lofton ILB from Atlanta. I like Belcher and his story and feel like he has been a diamond in the rough for us, but could only imagine if Lofton lined up next to DJ. With the improved play of Houston, we could now consider our lB corps among the best in the league! Belcher, would still play a pivitol role for us rotating at ILB.

Calias Cample DE from Arizona. Knows Haley through his days in Arizona, is not considered an "Elite" DE so he may not warrant an outrageous paycheck, but is big enough to play the 3-4 DE in our system. Would be able to take Jackson's place (and rotate) and improve our pass rush. Plus the dude is a BEAST (6'8" 300lbs)

And finally we need Safety Depth....

So I'm thinking Brandon Merriweather. Has the history with Pioli, has starting experience, and a pro bowl season. Would probably be willing to take a rotational/ backup role to Kendrick Lewis, as he is in this situation in Chicago now. After being let go by New England, and now not starting in Chicago, shouldn't require much cash to bring him in, and will provide a better option at safety than any other backup currently on our roster.

just some thoughts....

Nothing would help our defense more than a better offense. Nothing would help our offense more than offensive line help. My vote is to get the best tackle on the board. Move him to right or left tackle. Depending I if he can beat out branden for the starting lt spot.

My thinking exactly. Every facet of our team would be instantly upgraded by shoring up the OL. In every game this year our D has played well in the first half, but just got worn out from being on the field too long. Just having our offense on the field 10 minutes more a game would make all the difference in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Nothing would help our defense more than a better offense. Nothing would help our offense more than offensive line help. My vote is to get the best tackle on the board. Move him to right or left tackle. Depending I if he can beat out branden for the starting lt spot.

I agree that we need to upgrade the o-line, but I have mentioned many times before on the forum that my thoughts have changed since the Cassel Injury.

I was a believer/supporter of Cassel, but since his injury have came to the conclusion that I'm not so sure our O-line is as absolutely horrible as we all make it out to be.

I've mentioned that since Palko has been starting (although accuracy, and arm strength are issues) he is more naturally athletic than Cassel, and his mobility allows him to move up and around in the pock when any pressure is felt (Only 1 sack gave up against a Pittsburgh D that is one of the best in the league when it comes to pressuring the QB). Although the lack of points with Palko and Int's has been an issue with him, it does seem like our Offense has moved the ball or gotten off to faster starts than it did with Cassel. I have realized that Cassel take's too much time to make his decisions, and does not have the pocket awareness to move up when the pocket flows past him (causing him to get flustered, and take sacks)

I do think we need to upgrade our O-line, But, I have begun to realize that it is time for us to find an athletic QB that can avoid pressure, and help our O-line. I think we can find O-lineman in rounds 2-5 that can make impacts, and improve our protection (a la Rodney Hudson, & Jon Asamoah, not to mention what may turn out with Mims who was un-drafted)

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    ...Can a brother get an AMEN!

The pass rush has improved big time Houston has been really good. I have also been seeing more and more of Bailey and have liked what I have seen so far. I think many underrated our draft class. There are a few rookies that are starting to show what they can do and that's great for this team
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    The pass rush has improved big time Houston has been really good. I have also been seeing more and more of Bailey and have liked what I have seen so far. I think many underrated our draft class. There are a few rookies that are starting to show what they can do and that's great for this team
    I knew there was someone I forgot to mention when I started the thread...My apologies to Mr. Bailey haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast