Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nicfre's 2012 KC Mock Draft (Version 1.0)

Default Nicfre's 2012 KC Mock Draft (Version 1.0)

I usually do a KC mock draft later in the season and I usually include free agent signings/departures, but thought I would put one out there now for the fun of it with just the mock draft in this version. I tried to be as realistic as possible IMO regarding the trade scenarios and the players selected in their respective rounds while considering their possible draft value. I also tried to consider the picks from the standpoint of our current front office, and the types of players I think they could target. Personally, I think the fact that our team has suffered soo many key injuries this year has underscored the need for immediate depth...with the idea that those young players eventually challenge for more playing time and starting roles.

I also believe that Pioli very well may not be as enamored with the top quarterback prospects as some of us.

Some of the prospects might not be as flashy as we would like, but I think each of them bring specific value to the team considering our needs and also the idea of BPA.

2012 Kansas City Chiefs Draft

The Kansas City Chiefs trade their 2012 first round pick (#10) to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for their 2012 first round pick (#12) and their 2012 third round pick.

The Kansas City Chiefs trade their 2012 first round pick acquired from the Cleveland Browns (#12) to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for their 2012 first round pick (#14) and their 2012 third round pick.

Round 1 (from Tampa Bay Buccaneers) : Kawann Short, DT, Purdue (Junior)
    Height : 6’-4”
    Weight : 310 lbs.

My Take : I think Purdue junior defensive tackle Kawann Short is a very underrated draft eligible 2012 prospect. I see him as a versatile 3-4 nose tackle and end prospect. He has good strength and anchor at the point of attack, but also has good quickness when attacking gaps in both run defense and rushing the passer as evident by his impressive tackles for loss and solid sack totals for an interior defender. Personally, I see him as a B.J. Raji-type of player that would give our defensive line some versatility in handling 1-gap and 2-gap assignments.

Round 2 : Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford (Senior)
    Height : 6’-6”
    Weight : 245 lbs.

My Take : With Tony Moeaki coming back from injury, this selection might seem like nothing more than a luxury pick. But with the Moeaki’s injury history and the current trend of teams to value the position (see the imact recent draft picks Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, and Fred Davis have made for their teams), I think Fleener is an underrated tight end prospect. He has excellent hands and moves well for his size which makes him a dangerous weapon over the middle of the field and in the red zone. While he isn’t a top-tier blocker at the position, he does handle in-line blocking responsibilities well and has shown improvement in this area. With the loss of Moeaki, the team was forced to make use of such below average players as Leonard Pope, Anthony Becht, and Jake O’Connell. If Moeaki can return to form prior to his injury we could have two quality tight ends that will give our offense added versatility.

Round 3 : Markus Zusevics (Senior)
    Height : 6’-5”
    Weight : 305 lbs.

My Take : With Jared Gaither being waived it looks like we will have to look elsewhere for a possible replacement for Barry Richardson. Richardson adds value, and should be re-signed, but I think we certainly need to look at adding a player that could provide competition for Richardson right now at the position and a possible long term solution in the future. I think Zusevics would be a good fit for our zone blocking scheme and seems more well-rounded than Richardson as both a pass blocker and run blocker. I am big believer in using open competition to push incumbents, and Zusevics could do just that for Richardson. Whatever player loses the starting right tackle competition could serve as valuable depth as a swing-tackle.

Round 3 (from Cleveland Browns) : Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State (Junior)
    Height : 5’-9”
    Weight : 215 lbs.

My Take : A small school prospect that the more I look into, the more I like as not only a replacement for Thomas Jones as a power-inside running presence but also as a change-of-pace back for Jamaal Charles. He has impressive upper body strength and above average vision and surprising balance for his size. He keeps his legs moving after contact and while he doesn’t have blazing speed, can use his strength to get yardage after contact and break into the open field. He is a junior, but after a very strong season, there is talk he could make the jump to the NFL by declaring early. With prospects like Trent Richardson, Chris Polk, Lamar Miller, and David Wilson possibly declaring as well, Turbin could be an excellent value pick in the middle rounds.

Round 3 (from Tampa Bay Buccaneers) : Winston Guy, S, Kentucky (Senior)
    Height : 6’-1”
    Weight : 216 lbs.

My Take : I think the return of Eric Berry will bring some much needed stability to the back end of our secondary, but the fact remains Romeo Crennel uses three safety subpackages on a regular basis. Jon McGraw has been used a lot as an “in-the-box” type and while he has experience, I think his physical limitations have been exposed last year and this year as well. Guy has been used in the same type of role at Kentucky and has made an impact near the line of scrimmage. He has good read-and-react skills and flows well to the ball in traffic.

Round 4 : Senio Kelemete, OG, Washington (Senior)
    Weight : 300 lbs.

My Take : Originally a defensive tackle when first joining Washington, Kelemete has made surprising progress after making the move to the offensive side of the ball. He has experience at left tackle and left guard and while he has good footwork, his best position is probably inside. He has good athleticism to get to the second level and figures to be able to be used on pulling plays and sweeps. His ability to move and hit targets on the move seems to make him the best fit in a zone blocking scheme. He is developing his strength at the point of attack and has a nasty streak. I envision Kelemete backing up Ryan Lilja for one more year and then hopefully challenging for the starting nod with Hudson hopefully being able to replace Casey Wiegmann at center.

Round 5 : Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas (Senior)
    Height : 6’-2”
    Weight : 245 lbs.

My Take : Acho is a solid middle round inside linebacker prospect. I like his all-around physical skill set and while he might never be exceptional at any one area, I think he could develop into a potentially solid all-around starting caliber inside linebacker. With Brandon Siler being injured and now a free agent this upcoming offseason, we need to seriously consider adding depth behind Jovan Belcher right now. While Belcher hasn’t necessarily been a weak link, I do think he is the type of player that if you have a chance to upgrade you do so. Acho could give us valuable depth right out of the gate, play on special teams, and hopefully show enough to get more playing time as he makes the adjustment to the NFL.

Round 6 : Desmond Marrow, CB, Toledo (Senior)
    Weight : 210 lbs.

My Take : In my opinion, the later rounds are when you look for physically talented players that might be raw at a specific position but could be worth taking a chance on as a developmental prospect and a special teams contributor. Marrow fits the bill in this area. A big cornerback, he might eventually need to make the transition to safety, but I think the team has shown the willingness to take bigger cornerback prospects (Donald Washington and Jalil Brown) and work at developing their technique. I like Marrow’s upside and at the point in the draft, even if he only becomes a solid special teams contributor, that has to be looked at as a win.

Round 7 : Thomas Mayo, WR, California (PA) (Senior)
    Weight : 200 lbs.

My Take : Similar to Marrow at the last pick, Mayo is another small school prospect that could end up making a splash in the 2012 draft. May has been very consistent as a playmaker at the college level and while he doesn’t have elite physical skills, he does have a good understanding of the position and seems to be quite capable of getting open. There always seems to be a player or two like Mayo in every draft that starts to get attention but ends up going about where many expect after a period of “excitement” over a lesser known name. Just like the cornerback position, I like the idea of adding wide receivers in the later rounds of the draft with the idea of finding a playmaker (albeit unlikely) but in reality trying to hit on a special teams diamond in the rough.

Round 7 (from New England Patriots) : B.J. Coleman, QB, Tennessee-Chattanooga (Senior)
    Weight : 220 lbs.

My Take : The common theme from the last two picks is still in force here. Pioli and I seem to be on the same page when it comes to late round developmental quarterbacks. During his tenure in the New England front office, the Patriots often would select a developmental prospect at the position in the later rounds. I firmly believe that Tyler Palko is not the long term answer…as neither do I believe Matt Cassel is as well. Coleman more than likely will not be either, but could provide value as a backup and has enough skill at the position to warrant a later round flyer. He could benefit by a year on the practice squad and if he shows enough at that point, he could be worth bringing up as the #3 emergency quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    So we bail on Powe already, huh?
    Not at all. The fact remains Powe is a sixth round pick that has been inactive for the majority of the season. Now does that mean there is no hope for him? Certainly not? But at such a critical position, personally I am not willing on annointing him as the long term starter. I see Short as a B.J. Raji type of player as I mentioned, but the Green Bay defense also utilizes a rotation for their line and Powe could have a good opportunity to make an impact in several ways like Ryan Pickett and Howard Green for the Packers.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

i dont think acho will make it to the 5th.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    i dont think acho will make it to the 5th.
    You may be right. Acho is a guy that could go higher than some expect, but at the same time could end up going lower. The middle of my draft could be jockeyed around a bit and one or more of the players could be interchangable as far as when they are picked. Turbin could be a bit lower and Acho could be a bit higher. Actually, the more I think about it, the more it might be possible for them to be switched...depending on what other juniors declare, Turbin if he declares could end up sliding a bit...I don't think he will run a blazing 40 and might get lost in the mix to an extent when it comes to available juniors and some of the solid senior prospects.

we do need a ILB bad, but i think a good NT is a must. To me it all starts there.Also backup at saftey is a must.
    Most of the draft better be offense. That being said, i think alot will have to do with who gets in FA

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    we do need a ILB bad, but i think a good NT is a must. To me it all starts there.Also backup at saftey is a must.
    Most of the draft better be offense. That being said, i think alot will have to do with who gets in FA
    Very true. I will say, I don't see Pioli going after any top-tier free agents. I think there are a couple of lesser known names that could be interesting targets, although I do think we will be less active in free agency than many might hope for.

Personally, I would like to see us go after Jeremy Zuttah from Tampa Bay. He isn't an All-Pro, but he has experience at left tackle and left guard in college and has played left guard and most recently center for the Buccaneers. I really like his versatility and if we are looking for some veteran competition with Lilja along with someone who could slide to center, I like Zuttah. He is athletic and probably best fits in a zone blocking scheme, I think the Buccaneers use more man-blocking than zone. If we signed him, he could replace Wiegmann if Hudson either isn't ready to start at center or if he ends up being a better fit at left guard. Conversley, if Hudson slides to center, Zuttah could compete with Lilja for a starting role and hopefully replace him.

Another guy that might be worth bringing in largely for depth is Cincinnati tackle Anthony Collins. He could give us a swing tackle presence for depth or I could see him competing and quite possibly replacing Barry Richardson (if we re-sign Richardson). That way Richardson could hopefully be used as a swing tackle. I also think Collins could play some right guard if Asamoah gets hurt for any period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by nicfre2011 View Post
    Very true. I will say, I don't see Pioli going after any top-tier free agents. I think there are a couple of lesser known names that could be interesting targets, although I do think we will be less active in free agency than many might hope for.

Personally, I would like to see us go after Jeremy Zuttah from Tampa Bay. He isn't an All-Pro, but he has experience at left tackle and left guard in college and has played left guard and most recently center for the Buccaneers. I really like his versatility and if we are looking for some veteran competition with Lilja along with someone who could slide to center, I like Zuttah. He is athletic and probably best fits in a zone blocking scheme, I think the Buccaneers use more man-blocking than zone. If we signed him, he could replace Wiegmann if Hudson either isn't ready to start at center or if he ends up being a better fit at left guard. Conversley, if Hudson slides to center, Zuttah could compete with Lilja for a starting role and hopefully replace him.

Another guy that might be worth bringing in largely for depth is Cincinnati tackle Anthony Collins. He could give us a swing tackle presence for depth or I could see him competing and quite possibly replacing Barry Richardson (if we re-sign Richardson). That way Richardson could hopefully be used as a swing tackle. I also think Collins could play some right guard if Asamoah gets hurt for any period of time.
    If he has to "compete" with richardson then he isn`t that good. The way richardson plays it is hard to think he can beat out anyone.
    I still say it will depend on two factor, 1)who we pick up in FA and 2) if we go for a QB in 1st.

I've mentioned on other threads the idea of bringing in Curtis Lofton via FA to pair up with DJ as the ILB's (if we don't plan to target one in the 1st round like Te'o or Hightower)

This would be a nasty combo, and could elevate our LB Corps to that next level of one of the best in the league.

I know Pioli isn't as active in FA but I really feel like we are 1-2 proven players that can come in and impact the D immediately.

I sitll think we should look to Draft a NT like Ta'mu in the 2nd or Josh Champan from Alabama in the 3rd to pair with Powe. As well as and ILB like Acho in rounds 4 or 5.

I like Belcher and his story, and has tremendously exceeded expectations, but I think someone like Lofton would have a big impact on our D. (and Belcher would still play a big role in a rotational spot)

The other FA of the 2 players I think could make our D Elite, would be Calias Campbell from Arizona, have him take over for Jackson at the DE position and Jackson can rotate. Dude is huge!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12