Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Who should be our next head coach thread!

Default Unofficial Who should be our next head coach thread!

I think we should have one thread for all of them.

Who do you think should be and who do you want?

I would like to see Bill Cohwer back here at first choice. As a head coach he is 149–90–1

But if Cohwer can't make it here, then Jeff Fisher would be the ideal man here.He is 146-120 as a head coach, not as good, but he is a pretty respectable head coach in my eyes. The only reason he got fired is cause of the owner wanting this and not that.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorechiefsfan View Post
    The royals get respect, the might not be the best baseball team but they aren't the worst
    Tell that to the empty seats at Kauffmann.

I desperately hope that Clark gets this one right, much like his father did 20some years ago when he hired Marty and we went 101-58-1 and made the playoffs 7 times in 8 years. Oh to relive those glorious years............

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    I vote for Canada as head coach!
    I vote for Canada to be the Beer Man, I will be the head of the beer line.

I vote Canada to be the kick the players in the butt when they stink it up.

I'm just casting a line here and seeing if I get any bites since I've held this thought for a few years now.

In my opinion, Peyton Manning knows more about football than any of the coaches currently in the league. Would it or would it not be a good experiment to see if he could be a good coach if his current health problems prevent him from playing again?

Quote Originally Posted by reded View Post
    I'm just casting a line here and seeing if I get any bites since I've held this thought for a few years now.

In my opinion, Peyton Manning knows more about football than any of the coaches currently in the league. Would it or would it not be a good experiment to see if he could be a good coach if his current health problems prevent him from playing again?
    No. I think people are jumping the gun on Peyton being an out-of-the-box head coach. He has shown the ability to understand and successfully operate the offensive system he is familiar with and read the defenses that line up across from him.

But to think that what he has shown on the field as a quarterback automatically translates to the head coach position is a bit premmature.

And to say that he knows more now from a coaching perspective than any current head coach is going a bit too far.

Here is my hypothetical scenario, and not necessarily what I think will ultimately be reality...but more if I were GM right now looking for a head coach for the Chiefs (and trying to balance what I think is a "Pioli" reality and what I would like to see happen) :

Bill Cowher
    I would contact Bill Cowher and gauge if he has any interest in flying to Kansas City to talk about the current open head coach position. If he is interested in meeting, I would add him to my list.

Kirk Ferentz
    I would contact Kirk Ferentz to see if he is possibly interested in speaking about the open position or if he would prefer to remain at Iowa.

Romeo Crennel
    I would also add Romeo Crennel to the list as he does have head coaching experience at the NFL level and because he is more familiar with our current roster.

Winston Moss
    I would contact the Green Bay Packers and request permission to interview Winston Moss for the open head coaching position.

Jeff Fisher
    The word appears to be that Fisher is interested in getting back into coaching in the NFL. I would contact his agent to see if he is interested in coming to Kansas City to talk about the position.

I will say, my preference is for a young, up-and-coming head coach that could serve as our Mike Tomlin or Sean Payton. The idea behind bringing in Winston Moss would be to see if he can clearly articulate his vision as a head coach, and if he can define a clear path of building and maintaining a consistently competitive team. I would also look to see if he has a clear idea of names that he can outline as targets to fill out a coaching staff.

I believe the key for Moss would be if he can show he understands the dynamics of handling overall head coaching responsibilities and if he can show he has a willingness to trust in the coaching staff he assembles without having a tendency to "micro-manage" or second guess his staff.

I would speak to Moss about his relationship with current Green Bay quarterback coach Tom Clements, who I personally feel is an excellent candidate as an offensive coordinator. He has had a chance to work with Mike McCarthy and the dynamic Green Bay offense, and more than likely has had a positive influence on the development of Aaron Rodgers.

On the defensive side of the ball, I like both Kevin Green (currently the outside linebackers coach) and Darren Perry (currently the safety position coach). I do think Green could use some more time as a position coach, but I do think Perry has had an opportunity to work closely with Dom Capers and has certainly been an integral part in the success of the innovative 2-4-5 defensive look that the Packers use as a sub-package.

I would be very interesting in getting Moss's opinion on these coaches and if he feels comfortable contacting them for possible positions on his coaching staff should he be hired.

The reason I like Moss is I think he may be more apt to have a good working relationship with the front office than a more established head coach may be. The key would obviously be how he articulates that in the interviews.

I wouldn't be interested as much in seeing how he does explaining x's and o's, but I would definitely be more interested in seeing how he explains his overall skill set as a planner, organizer, motivator, and personnel leader...how much he understands the daily activities that a head coach will undertake.

Two coaching candidates I would be interested in speaking about with possible head coaching candidates is current Pittsburgh Steelers linebackers coach Keith Davis. He has been on the staff since 2003, and as such has atleast a working relationship and familiarity with Bill Cowher. I think by all appearances he has done an excellent job working with the linebackers, both the veterans, and helping the younger players develop and make an impact. I would definitely bring is name up when talking to Bill Cowher as a possible defensive coordinator...and could be a candidate for someone like Moss should Darren Perry turn down an offer to be interviewed for the position.

Another name I would be very interested in for any new staff is current Iowa Hawkeyes offensive line coach Reese Morgan. Iowa has become known for developing offensive linemen who tend to be much further along as far as technique goes than most college offensive linemen. I think he has to be given credit for giving them a good foundation of fundamentals and technique as not many Iowa linmen have top-tier raw athletic ability, but as mentioned are usually fairly advances on fundamentals and technique.

My goal with any head coaching candidate would be to gauge how they feel Romeo Crennel either does or does not fit in on the coaching staff. I would be open to him remaining the defensive coordinator or seeing if he could be retained in some other form as possibly a consultant or assistant head coach type role.

Default Is it possible for Pioli to have an independent thought?

I am completely amazed and...wait for it...Horrified! that McDaniels name is even being mentioned for consideration for HC. And all this McDaniels 'mentioning' comes from one thing - Pioli's inability to demonstrate the capacity for independent thought. Every person we hire or drag from the depths of free agency seems to be an ex, current or imitation patriot.

McDaniels completely tanked in Denver and is tanking in St Lou, but Pioli is familiar and has a comfort level with him. So, the McDaniels thing is gaining traction in the media and they are probably correct. Because old Peehole knows him!!

I don't believe we have much of a shot to land Gruden or Cowher, maybe Jeff Fischer would consider KC and I'd be okay with any of them. But it will be Ferentz or McD and they seem like a car wreck in the making!!

Quote Originally Posted by nicfre2011 View Post
    Here is my hypothetical scenario, and not necessarily what I think will ultimately be reality...but more if I were GM right now looking for a head coach for the Chiefs (and trying to balance what I think is a "Pioli" reality and what I would like to see happen) :

Bill Cowher
    I would contact Bill Cowher and gauge if he has any interest in flying to Kansas City to talk about the current open head coach position. If he is interested in meeting, I would add him to my list.

I would love this pick. Upside: He would likely run a 3-4. He would probably be able to pull some quality position/coordinators from pittsburgh. Downside: I just dont see him coming here.

Kirk Ferentz
    I would contact Kirk Ferentz to see if he is possibly interested in speaking about the open position or if he would prefer to remain at Iowa.

I dont know much about Iowa's program, so I cannot intelligently comment on this option.

Romeo Crennel
    I would also add Romeo Crennel to the list as he does have head coaching experience at the NFL level and because he is more familiar with our current roster.

This would be the easiest and fastest transition. He would need to pull some quality coordinators for him to be successful.

Winston Moss
    I would contact the Green Bay Packers and request permission to interview Winston Moss for the open head coaching position.

Definitely someone who would be a good candidate.

Jeff Fisher
    The word appears to be that Fisher is interested in getting back into coaching in the NFL. I would contact his agent to see if he is interested in coming to Kansas City to talk about the position.

Great candidate as well. He would probably change our defense, although I am of the opinion that we have the personnel to run either a 4-3 or a 3-4.

I will say, my preference is for a young, up-and-coming head coach that could serve as our Mike Tomlin or Sean Payton. The idea behind bringing in Winston Moss would be to see if he can clearly articulate his vision as a head coach, and if he can define a clear path of building and maintaining a consistently competitive team. I would also look to see if he has a clear idea of names that he can outline as targets to fill out a coaching staff.

I believe the key for Moss would be if he can show he understands the dynamics of handling overall head coaching responsibilities and if he can show he has a willingness to trust in the coaching staff he assembles without having a tendency to "micro-manage" or second guess his staff.

I think you could say the same for any HC candidate.

I would speak to Moss about his relationship with current Green Bay quarterback coach Tom Clements, who I personally feel is an excellent candidate as an offensive coordinator. He has had a chance to work with Mike McCarthy and the dynamic Green Bay offense, and more than likely has had a positive influence on the development of Aaron Rodgers.

I would like him as an O.C. to pair up with whomever our HC ends up being. I like having OC that have history as either a QB coach or a RB coach. Those are the two most important positions when considering game plan. I think having a QB friendly OC is very important if you are planning on developing a QB. IMO Cassel still needs to develop, or we are going to go a different direction, so a rookie will still need to develop.

On the defensive side of the ball, I like both Kevin Green (currently the outside linebackers coach) and Darren Perry (currently the safety position coach). I do think Green could use some more time as a position coach, but I do think Perry has had an opportunity to work closely with Dom Capers and has certainly been an integral part in the success of the innovative 2-4-5 defensive look that the Packers use as a sub-package.

I would be very interesting in getting Moss's opinion on these coaches and if he feels comfortable contacting them for possible positions on his coaching staff should he be hired.

The reason I like Moss is I think he may be more apt to have a good working relationship with the front office than a more established head coach may be. The key would obviously be how he articulates that in the interviews.

I wouldn't be interested as much in seeing how he does explaining x's and o's, but I would definitely be more interested in seeing how he explains his overall skill set as a planner, organizer, motivator, and personnel leader...how much he understands the daily activities that a head coach will undertake.

Two coaching candidates I would be interested in speaking about with possible head coaching candidates is current Pittsburgh Steelers linebackers coach Keith Davis. He has been on the staff since 2003, and as such has atleast a working relationship and familiarity with Bill Cowher. I think by all appearances he has done an excellent job working with the linebackers, both the veterans, and helping the younger players develop and make an impact. I would definitely bring is name up when talking to Bill Cowher as a possible defensive coordinator...and could be a candidate for someone like Moss should Darren Perry turn down an offer to be interviewed for the position.

I would love to get Davis as a D. Coordinator. He runs a 3-4. Probably the best 3-4 LBs in the league. There is a reason why Steelers LBs usually dont do well outside of pittsburgh, and it is their coaching staff.

Another name I would be very interested in for any new staff is current Iowa Hawkeyes offensive line coach Reese Morgan. Iowa has become known for developing offensive linemen who tend to be much further along as far as technique goes than most college offensive linemen. I think he has to be given credit for giving them a good foundation of fundamentals and technique as not many Iowa linmen have top-tier raw athletic ability, but as mentioned are usually fairly advances on fundamentals and technique.

Im not sure about him as a coordinator, but I would love to bring him in as OL coach.

My goal with any head coaching candidate would be to gauge how they feel Romeo Crennel either does or does not fit in on the coaching staff. I would be open to him remaining the defensive coordinator or seeing if he could be retained in some other form as possibly a consultant or assistant head coach type role.

With Crennel now saying he wants to be HC. I doubt he would stick around as DC if he doesnt get the job.
    Im starting to grow on the idea of Romeo as HC. If he is able to pull some good coordinators, I think he can have more success than he did in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Im starting to grow on the idea of Romeo as HC. If he is able to pull some good coordinators, I think he can have more success than he did in Cleveland.
    I am leaning this way myself.

I have such high hopes for 2012. Firing Haley throws it all out of whack. But keeping stability with Crennel salvages a whole lot of that.

And I think the minimal shake-up that would be caused by McDaniels is also a favorable trait of that prospect.

Not sure who I like the most - perhaps Gruden - but I know folks I would NOT want to see: Haley (duh), McDaniels, Crennel. Whoever is hired, just please, please, please either bring in a DC to run a 4-3 or get the right people to run a 3-4.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast