Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Who should be our next head coach thread!

Default Unofficial Who should be our next head coach thread!

I think we should have one thread for all of them.

Who do you think should be and who do you want?

I would like to see Bill Cohwer back here at first choice. As a head coach he is 149–90–1

But if Cohwer can't make it here, then Jeff Fisher would be the ideal man here.He is 146-120 as a head coach, not as good, but he is a pretty respectable head coach in my eyes. The only reason he got fired is cause of the owner wanting this and not that.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

My list starts with Jon Gruden. I think with a new head coach, we'll be taking a QB early in the draft and he does a great job grooming young QBs. Plus, he was in charge of the Raiders when they built their Super Bowl contender, but also has the ability to win the Super Bowl as he did with Tampa. Problem is that he has no ties to Pioli, so I highly doubt he'll be an option.

Next is Brian Billick. He's an offensive minded coach but still allowed a great defensive coordinator in Marvin Lewis the flexibility to draft, build, and develop a dominant 3-4 defense in Baltimore... and WON a Super Bowl with.... wait for it... Trent Dilfer of all people. But, again, doesn't have any Pioli ties and brings more seniority to the franchise than what Pioli has and it's doubtful that Pioli would make this hire either.

Greg Olson is the OC in Tampa and has been grooming Josh Freeman over the last couple years. Olson has built a high-powered offense in Tampa, capable of scoring points in a hurry. He has a reputation for attention to detail, he's highly respected by front office personnel, coaches, and players alike. He's a great motivator and works well with young players like Blount, Freeman, and Williams. I think he'd be the BEST fit here in Kansas City, but again, no Pioli ties... so this hire is unlikely as well.

I'm not excited about McDaniels because he DESTROYED Denver and I'm not excited about Ferentz because his hiring may lead to an overly bias opinion of Ricki Stanzi. I think Pioli knew this Haley firing was coming... regardless of the outcome this season (outside of Super Bowl win). I think he already had Ferentz in mind to be the head coach in 2012, which is why he took Stanzi in the draft.

I don't think Ferentz should be the head coach, but too many things seem to be falling into place on that front. Kirk Ferentz will probably be our next head coach.... it SHOULD be Greg Olson... but it WILL be Kirk Ferentz.

I'd be ok with Fisher. I doubt we'll lure Ferentz away from Iowa, and I doubt very seriously if Cowher or Gruden is going back to coaching. Unfortunately, having watched about 30 years of Chiefs football, drafts, admin, and such, I suspect we're going to have Coach Josh McDaniels, and that we'll get a

"no, he's REALLY good, he just didn't have the right pieces in place in Denver."

Sick already of hearing his familiarity with Cassell. Great, let's send Matt to St. Louis, then. McDaniels' ability to piss off players, head office, and fans in Denver should be the BIGGEST, RED, FLASHING, WARNING, SIGN, EVER.

My humble opinion

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    I'd be ok with Fisher. I doubt we'll lure Ferentz away from Iowa, and I doubt very seriously if Cowher or Gruden is going back to coaching. Unfortunately, having watched about 30 years of Chiefs football, drafts, admin, and such, I suspect we're going to have Coach Josh McDaniels, and that we'll get a

"no, he's REALLY good, he just didn't have the right pieces in place in Denver."

Sick already of hearing his familiarity with Cassell. Great, let's send Matt to St. Louis, then. McDaniels' ability to piss off players, head office, and fans in Denver should be the BIGGEST, RED, FLASHING, WARNING, SIGN, EVER.

My humble opinion
    Sounds like a Pioli guy to me...

I vote for Canada as head coach!
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 12-13-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Sounds like a Pioli guy to me...
    Yes, but McDaniels probably DOES know how to use a comb...

Seriously though, I think there are a number of coaches out there, and I don't think they need to have Pioli ties. Haley had two years with Pioli back in the 90s, and look how that turned out.

Whatever coach comes in here, he has to fit in with Pioli's plans is all, is that McDaniels? I am not sure it is. I think senior level coaches who have been big in the NFL for years are not likely to be on the list though. Meaning as much as I would like Cowher, I don't think he is coming back.

Let me throw out a name, how about Brian Shottenheimer? What about Marty? I saw Marty in the owenr's box with Clark earlier this season.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

I know some Jets fans that want to see Brian Schottenheimer lynched.

They could be wrong of course, but it sounds like he could use a little more time in the oven before getting a head coaching gig.

I love Marty, but doubt he's going to return to the NFL.

I would like to see Winston Moss interviewed for the position. As I have mentioned previously, he has received several interviews in recent years but hasn't been hired yet. Ron Rivera seemed to be in the same situation for several years. It was reported that the reason Rivera wasn't hired until recently largely because he didn't present himself as well as some front office exexcutives/owners would have liked. It very well could be a personal preparation issue. I don't know if Moss has suffered from the same issues or not.

But if he can show in his interview that he has a clear vision of fielding a consistently competitive team year-in and year-out and has a clear indication of the type of offensive and defensive philosophies as well as being able to articulate that vision along with having a good network of possible coaching staff candidates....I think he has to be considered.

The key for me is if he has had an opportunity in Green Bay to get an overall picture of how to coach a team from the head coach perspective. I don't want a candidate that leans to one side (ex. offensive) and tends to get lost in the details when handling the overall head coach responsibilities. I think that is where Haley failed. I want someone who has a good collection of coaching staff candidates that he feels comfortable with. Basically, let the defensive coordinator run the defense, let the offensive coordinator run the offense...and the head coach makes the whole team work.

That's why I like the idea of Moss being an innovative, motivational leader at the head coach position...and bringing in someone like Tom Clements (current Green Bay quarterback coach) to be the offensive coordinator and Darren Perry (assistant defensive coordinator/safety position coach) to be defensive coordinator.

On the flip side, I also like the idea of having Bill Cowher as head coach. The key for Cowher would be his ability to work with Scott Pioli, but I think both have similar philosophies in building a team. I also think Cowher is much more willing to be reliant on his coaching staff than he is given credit for...so I think he could assemble a strong staff and avoid the pitfalls of micromanaging the coaching responsibilities.

So while I would want Moss to end up being a dynamic hire (ala Mike Tomlin for example), if Moss doesn't seem to be ready yet to handle the head coaching responsibilities, I think Cowher is a very good candidate if he isn't looking for total control. In the end, I don't think Moss or Cowher will be hired and I think Pioli will end up going for someone he has worked with in the past or is very familar with...like possibly Kirk Ferentz...or most likely Josh McDaniels.

1st choice Bill Cower
    2nd choice Bill Cower
    3rd choice Bill Cower
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast