Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pioli takes responsiblity for lack of depth

Default Pioli takes responsiblity for lack of depth

Well, if you are not going to address the offensive line then you better have a steady supply of running backs and quarterbacks to throw into the game.

Seems pretty academic to me, maybe I should pick up the phone?

Really though, if I had one question for Pioli it would be:

"Do you really think you have the 5 guys on the offensive line that you need to win football games?" I would just like an honest answer to that question.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I don't see firing the other guy as taking responsibility.
    The other guy was fired for not coaching the talent that is on this team. Say what you will about the injuries but this team is way more talented then 31-3 Dolphins or 48-3 Lions.

But Yes If all the rumors about the lack of a relationship are true then 50% of that blame has to go on Pioli. I think 50% of the blame for this whole mess can go on him.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Well when you are in charge of the personnel decisions, yes, that would be your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    The other guy was fired for not coaching the talent that is on this team. Say what you will about the injuries but this team is way more talented then 31-3 Dolphins or 48-3 Lions.

But Yes If all the rumors about the lack of a relationship are true then 50% of that blame has to go on Pioli. I think 50% of the blame for this whole mess can go on him.
    The talent that is on this team is out for the year.

And no, in case you have not been paying attention to this team, they are not better than anybody without Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    The talent that is on this team is out for the year.

And no, in case you have not been paying attention to this team, they are not better than anybody without Charles.

They might not be better but are they 28 points worse then the Dolphins? Are they 45 points worse then the Lions. Are they 34 points Worse then the Bills? Pioli failed to get depth on this team. He is to blame for that. And at this point all we can hope is that Clark Hunt is making him pay for that in some way. But Haley was not coaching this team to play at there best. He was fired for that.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Good for him. Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery.

He knows the lack of depth was his fault, but does he know how to fix it?
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Good for him. Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery.

He knows the lack of depth was his fault, but does he know how to fix it?
    Sign more Patriot retreads!! LOL

I think with this talk you could really see us make a push next year to bring in FA's that could have a big impact. (I think Pioli's job is depending on us winning next year)

Also...I just wanted to point out that the core talent on this team was brought in by Herm. I'm not saying Pioli hasn't brought in any decent players (Moeaki, Houston, Succop etc.) But he has had his fair share of whoopsies (Jackson, Alex Magee, Donald Washington, Quentin Lawrence, Colin Brown etc.)

Core Players brought in by Herm: Bowe, Hali, Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Carr, Charles, Richardson

Not to mention DJ being drafted by the Vermile era.

Pioli is reaping the rewards of previous coaches not being given enough time to implement their plans.

Just saying that with the 2009 Draft being horrible, the 2010 being fairly decent, and this last one the jury is still out (Houston is looking good, Baldwin can't be graded cus we can't get him the Ball, Hudson has stepped in and done well, Powe isn't cracking the active roster, and Brown is just depth) I think he needs to make a big impact this off-season in both the draft and Free Agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I think with this talk you could really see us make a push next year to bring in FA's that could have a big impact. (I think Pioli's job is depending on us winning next year)

Also...I just wanted to point out that the core talent on this team was brought in by Herm. I'm not saying Pioli hasn't brought in any decent players (Moeaki, Houston, Succop etc.) But he has had his fair share of whoopsies (Jackson, Alex Magee, Donald Washington, Quentin Lawrence, Colin Brown etc.)

Core Players brought in by Herm: Bowe, Hali, Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Carr, Charles, Richardson

Pioli is reaping the rewards of previous coaches not being given enough time to implement their plans.

Just saying that with the 2009 Draft being horrible, the 2010 being fairly decent, and this last one the jury is still out (Houston is looking good, Baldwin can't be graded cus we can't get him the Ball, Hudson has stepped in and done well, Powe isn't cracking the active roster, and Brown is just depth) I think he needs to make a big impact this off-season in both the draft and Free Agency.
    Very good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post

I'll only agree in principle. Herm's guys have had the necessary time to grow and show what they've got. Pioli's 2010 and 2011 drafts have done extremely well with all 2010 players currently playing or having major roles. The 2011 draft still is out but Baldwin and Houston are starting and Hudson has played rotationally and will start when Weigmann retires if he doesn't replace him this next year.

As someone said 50% of the people drafted in the 4th round or later aren't playing in the NFL after 3 years. Jalil Brown has been playing special teams and I don't really see him moving (drafted for depth), Stanzi (drafted for backup or future QB and needs time), Miller (LB) and Powe (NT) were drafted for development/backups and Shane Bannon didn't make the team.

Everyone but one player in the 2010 and 2011 drafts are still with the team and playing a role or in the wings to play a role. To me that says that Pioli came in and we didn't have all of our starters let alone depth. Herm got us going, no doubt about that but Herm started from scratch (excluding DJ). So Pioli after 3 years shouldn't be expected to have a stud starting team with backups that can step in and be the new cog in the machine. In another 2 years if I'm still saying that I'm wondering if Pioli is the guy.

Overall Pioli has been doing a good job but didn't have a lot of time when he got here to make major decisions. We saw that in his hiring of Haley and his 2009 draft (hindsight is 20/20 of course). Pioli now has sufficient time to hire the "right" coach and prepare for the draft still. If he screws up this time then yeah, it's on him. Past that I'll agree if someone says I'm drinking the koolaid because I think he's been doing just fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast