Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who should our 1st draft pick be?

Default Who should our 1st draft pick be?

Okay so if the season ended today we would be 10th overall. As a football coach and miserable Chiefs fan, it's my honest humble redneck opinion that we should attempt to take RGIII, EVEN if we must trade up and this is why:

- He's a run threat (9 rushing TD's in '11)
    - He doesn't throw int's or make bad decisions
    - He's used to getting sacked - LMAO (23 times in '11)
    - The most accurate deep ball I've seen in a LONG time
    - He will help us convert 3rd downs and force opposing Defenses to stack the box, which opens up the Killer B's

Imagine this:

RGIII
    Jamaal Charles
    Le'Ron McClain
    Tony Moeki
    Dwayne Bowe
    Steve Breaston
    Jon Baldwin

Dexter McCluster on 3rd downs, etc.

WOW.

As an Oklahoma Sooners fan I can say that after 3yrs of watching RGIII, he's the real deal. It's a risk I would be willing to bet on if I was Clark Hunt.

OTHERWISE: If he's not there then we take the very best available LT in the draft and draft nothing but LINEMEN to build back our O-line & maybe a DE to replace Tyson's worthless @$$

Robert Griffin III stats

Interesting Article on Recommended Draft Choices (this just confirms my thoughts)

Your Thoughts Please?
    "If only we could take the 90's D and our '03 O......there's our Superbowl" :(

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    LBut I believe that we would improve this team far more by getting a top notch OT.
    I agree to some extent, but what has that done for the Dolphins (Jake Long), the Seahawks (Russell Okung, who's always hurt), the Browns (Joe Thomas), the Redskins (Trent Williams), the Panthers (Jordan Gross)...

One thing all of those teams are missing is a franchise QB. We can argue if Cassel is that or not, but I say there is a lot of room for improvement, and he's definitely not a guy that I'd be so confident in that I wouldn't hesitate to draft another guy like RGIII, Barkley, or Jones in the first round.

Simply put, the league is a quarterback first league. If you have one, you're pretty set to compete year in and year out. If you don't, well you're not.

Left tackle can be put on standby if the right quarterback is there in the draft, and you're picking early (which we will be). And this year's draft is certainly a deep QB draft. The same cannot be said for tackles.

If the Chiefs should choose to move down in the draft, while acquiring another first round pick, and taking a tackle and other position of need in the first round, I would not fault them if they think Cassel is the guy. That said, I still think it's foolish to pass on an RGIII talent if he's there.

Final food for thought, I always fall back to Profootballfocus (I wish I had the ability to watch every game and make these judgements myself)...Here are the top 15 rated LT's this year:

1.) Jason Peters, PHI
    2.) Michael Roos, TEN
    3.) Eugene Monroe, JAC
    4.) Joe Thomas, CLE
    5.) Donald Penn, TB
    6.) Jordan Gross, CAR
    7.) Jermon Bushrod, NO
    8.) D'Brickashaw Ferguson, NYJ
    9.) Duane Brown, HOU
    10.) Andrew Whitworth, CIN
    11.) Jake Long, MIA
    12.) Trent Williams, WAS
    13.) Branden Albert, KC
    14.) Matt Light, NE
    15.) Doug Free, DAL

Out of the top 5, 1 plays on a perrenial contender (Peters), and that team is not even in the hunt this year. Of the top 10, 7-10 are all in the hunt for the playoffs.

I just don't see, and never have seen, a strong correlation between stud LT's and team performance. On the other hand, you see pretty much the same quarterbacks in the mix for a Super Bowl year in and year out.

Luck would be the best of course, but after him, Moore ( Boise kid ), Barkley, then Landry Jones. RG3 is sooooooo skinny I have serious questions about his durability. The Boise kid reminds me of Drew Brees in a lot of ways and Barkley is use to a pro system.

RG3 did not WOW me for the heisman at all I personally think its time for the Chiefs to find a franchise QB like Landry Jones and leave Charles and Battle to set up the playaction. If we dont select a QB in the first round and history says we won't. Then we need a RT like a fat kid needs cake. Barry Richardson is TRASH any tackle that allows 6 sacks in one game is worthless to any team. Other than those two we need to get find a replacement for tyson jackson. SUPER BOWL here we come 2012.

RGIII! We need a QB badly and now! Not even a free agent QB would do in 2012.

I want so badly to get RGIII and him getting that Heisman has nothing to do with it but upset me at all the attention he is getting. I want him under the radar so we can pick him up!

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Looks like a crew of victims, if we don't significantly improve our blocking.

Trusting JC to make it look good was a bad idea this year, and it would be just as bad an idea any year.

The real problem is at LOT.

Despite what PFF says, We are very bad at pass protection. The interior has done well at times. But the OT positions make up for that.

The O-line makes up almost half of the starting positions on the offense.

This offense is horrible.

And it is primarily because we don't block well.

Jones has shown that he can do it, and Cassel has too. But, without JC to make the o-line look good, I think anybody else on this offense is going to underachieve.

I fully expect a fan's draft, where we get the glam at QB. That's what coaches do when they go to a new team.

And I think we could find some success that way.

But I believe that we would improve this team far more by getting a top notch OT.
    I would like to see them pick up RG3, but I don't see them giving up on Cassel yet.

IMO every OL in the NFL would look horrible with Cassel as there QB. Everyone seems to forget how bad Cassel is. He is not able to stand under pressure. How many times has he brought the team back for a forth quarter win? How many 4th quarter losses?

These in my opinion speak more of a QB then any other number. There is nothing I have ever seen Cassel do that makes me think he will ever, ever win a playoff game.

I would love to see us get a stud LOT like Kalil, but hes not going to fix whats wrong with this team.

As bad as Palko is, he makes the OL look far better then Cassel.

Our OL needs help but other then the RT its far better then they appear. If we replace Richardson and draft a mobile QB and we are a good offense, if the injured stars come back healthy and 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I would like to see them pick up RG3, but I don't see them giving up on Cassel yet.

IMO every OL in the NFL would look horrible with Cassel as there QB. Everyone seems to forget how bad Cassel is. He is not able to stand under pressure. How many times has he brought the team back for a forth quarter win? How many 4th quarter losses?

These in my opinion speak more of a QB then any other number. There is nothing I have ever seen Cassel do that makes me think he will ever, ever win a playoff game.

I would love to see us get a stud LOT like Kalil, but hes not going to fix whats wrong with this team.

As bad as Palko is, he makes the OL look far better then Cassel.

Our OL needs help but other then the RT its far better then they appear. If we replace Richardson and draft a mobile QB and we are a good offense, if the injured stars come back healthy and 100%.
    The only thing wrong with your train of thought is if the line is good what has happened to the running lanes it seems to me they are just not there. I heard Dawson say several times last week that the OL is just getting blown backwards on both run and pass plays and if they are getting blown back then the team can not run or pass I don't care who the QB/RB is.

Quote Originally Posted by turner_robert View Post
    RG3 did not WOW me for the heisman at all I personally think its time for the Chiefs to find a franchise QB like Landry Jones and leave Charles and Battle to set up the playaction. If we dont select a QB in the first round and history says we won't. Then we need a RT like a fat kid needs cake. Barry Richardson is TRASH any tackle that allows 6 sacks in one game is worthless to any team. Other than those two we need to get find a replacement for tyson jackson. SUPER BOWL here we come 2012.
    Agreed RGIII is a poor mans cam newton.

Offensive Line. Don't care who it is

Quote Originally Posted by jb908 View Post
    Offensive Line. Don't care who it is
    Unfortunately Khalil seems to be leaning towards staying in school. St. Louis is going to take Martin then and that leaves us with only one option of Reiff. I'm not sure I want to pick a guy just because he's the only one left. I'd rather us pick the guy because he's the best fit. If that's the case then cool. Past these two though (if Khalil doesn't come out) we're picking T/G's or guys that are projected to possibly slide to the 2nd. No thanks, draft for best fit and of need and get a LT/RT in free agency.

Edit: After doing some google searches it seems that Khalil is still deciding if he should declare and not set to staying in school. With that said if it's between Martin or Reiff I have no problem taking a LT.
    Last edited by OPLookn; 12-14-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast