Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't want RGIII and no I'm not crazy

Default I don't want RGIII and no I'm not crazy

Despite how many people on this board are saying the NFL is moving toward mobile qb's lets look at the facts

1) The current best teams in the NFL: Packers, Patriots, Saints, Forty Niners, and the Steelers not one of them has a RG3 qb, some of them like Aaron Rodgers or Ben Rothlesberger might be good at avoiding a sack but are hardly speedy qb's

2) Mobile QB's get injured more: Michael Vick has been injured in college, he was injured last year, and once again he's injured. RGIII missed almost a whole season due to an injury even Cam Newton who is a huge man much bigger and stronger then both Vick and RGIII hurt his ankle his sophmore year even the superman Tebow broke his fibula in college.

3) RGIII doesn't have the size He's 6"1 1/2 and only 220 pounds which I think he's closer to 200-210 range

4) In the NFL he will not be the best athlete like he is playing for Baylor.

I really see this guy coming out and being somewhere between Pat White-Michael Vick he has a lot of talent athletically but I don't see him making the hard throws. Lets face it he played on a team that used his talents well and he rarely got sacked if he played for the Chiefs which I don't think he will he will be getting barraged every play and I see a lot of bad decisions. My vote is Landry Jones he plays in an NFL style offense already, he makes very quick decsions, he plays in a tougher division then RGIII, and he has that NFL caliber arm and accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    Despite how many people on this board are saying the NFL is moving toward mobile qb's lets look at the facts

1) The current best teams in the NFL: Packers, Patriots, Saints, Forty Niners, and the Steelers not one of them has a RG3 qb, some of them like Aaron Rodgers or Ben Rothlesberger might be good at avoiding a sack but are hardly speedy qb's

2) Mobile QB's get injured more: Michael Vick has been injured in college, he was injured last year, and once again he's injured. RGIII missed almost a whole season due to an injury even Cam Newton who is a huge man much bigger and stronger then both Vick and RGIII hurt his ankle his sophmore year even the superman Tebow broke his fibula in college.

3) RGIII doesn't have the size He's 6"1 1/2 and only 220 pounds which I think he's closer to 200-210 range

They said the same thing about a guy that's QB in a little town called New Orleans.

4) In the NFL he will not be the best athlete like he is playing for Baylor. You must be crazy. If he can win the Heisman at Baylor, he will produce for a legit NFL squad, no doubt.

I really see this guy coming out and being somewhere between Pat White-Michael Vick he has a lot of talent athletically but I don't see him making the hard throws. Lets face it he played on a team that used his talents well and he rarely got sacked if he played for the Chiefs which I don't think he will he will be getting barraged every play and I see a lot of bad decisions. My vote is Landry Jones he plays in an NFL style offense already, he makes very quick decsions, he plays in a tougher division then RGIII, and he has that NFL caliber arm and accuracy.
    Now I know you don't know what you're talking about. THEY ARE IN THE SAME DIVISION. LOL. And Landry threw 14 int's this year dude.

With all do respect, I'm a Lifetime Oklahoma Sooners fan and I was at the OU spring game, watched every game and Landry will be a bust on any mediocre team. Your recommending a QB who didn't throw a single TD pass in the last 3 games w/o his start wideout in the game. Really? Why don't we just make Tyler Palko the starting QB then?

Landry Jones doesn't have the footwork or the patience in the pocket and throws more int's then anybody in the class.

RGIII is going to get the same haters that Tebow got. What you cannot question is his will to win and the talent that would surround him in KC. No doubt mobile QB's get hurt more but the game is changing and so is the position. Look at his numbers and compare them to the caliber of team Luck, Barkley, and Jones had. Baylor is NO WHERE near the talent of those teams, he was sacked 23 times and STILL threw less int's, converted more 3rd downs, Passed for more yards, and threw more TD's (also ran for 9 TDs) all on a very ****ty Baylor squad in a very tough conference comparably speaking.

He will need some time to develop and we need to invest in a O-line that can block, but this kid ain't Vick, he ain't Tebow, and he definitely ain't Pat White. His passer rating against AP teams was ridiculous. Seriously.

I was right about Cam Newton and I'm right about RGIII.
    It's the New Breed. Mobile but damaging in the pocket.
    Last edited by GoHardorGoHome; 12-14-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added
    "If only we could take the 90's D and our '03 O......there's our Superbowl" :(

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post

4) In the NFL he will not be the best athlete like he is playing for Baylor.

RG3 plays in the same conference as Jones does. The Big 12 lost 2 teams so every team in the Big 12 now plays one another.

Jones does play in an NFL style offense but he's too tied to the offense. He's forced a play simply because that's the play that's called. That will get him lit up with INT's in the NFL.

RG3 makes quick decisions as well, has just as good of accuracy as Jones and has the double threat of being able to run. Yes he's the best player on his team and he runs but it's because it's available. I'm sure once he's in the NFL it'll be communicated that unless he's got just enough room to squeak out he's either in the pocket or extending the play.

I've seen enough Oklahoma/Baylor games to want RG3 over Jones. If I had to pick, my order would be Luck, Barkley, RG3 and Jones. Barkley is excellent at reading defenses, has an accurate ball, USC runs a pro style offense and makes good decisions. A prime example of Barkley reading D's is the USC/Oregon game. Barkley carved up the Oregon D and had them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a side of leftovers.

I think the big difference, one that's well documented among scouts and draft experts, is that unlike the "mobile qbs" tag you apply, RGIII is an excellent passer in regards to both accuracy and arm strength. What's nice, is that he's not always looking at his first read and if it's not there take off. He is able to see through his progressions. While that's something he'll have to continue to work on in the NFL, the end result for me points toward a passer that's excellent in the pocket, but has the speed and ability to avoid sacks (similar to Rodgers/Roethlisberger).

Quote Originally Posted by GoHardorGoHome View Post
    They said the same thing about a guy that's QB in a little town called New Orleans.
    Acutally, I always thought they said he was too short, not too skinny. People's complaints about RG3 arent his height, it is his build, or relative lack thereof.

I agree with not wanting RGIII OLINE first. No matter who we get at QB we won't get anywhere without making big upgrades to the o line.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by GoHardorGoHome View Post
    Now I know you don't know what you're talking about. THEY ARE IN THE SAME DIVISION. LOL. And Landry threw 14 int's this year dude.

With all do respect, I'm a Lifetime Oklahoma Sooners fan and I was at the OU spring game, watched every game and Landry will be a bust on any mediocre team. Your recommending a QB who didn't throw a single TD pass in the last 3 games w/o his start wideout in the game. Really? Why don't we just make Tyler Palko the starting QB then?

Landry Jones doesn't have the footwork or the patience in the pocket and throws more int's then anybody in the class.

RGIII is going to get the same haters that Tebow got. What you cannot question is his will to win and the talent that would surround him in KC. No doubt mobile QB's get hurt more but the game is changing and so is the position. Look at his numbers and compare them to the caliber of team Luck, Barkley, and Jones had. Baylor is NO WHERE near the talent of those teams, he was sacked 23 times and STILL threw less int's, converted more 3rd downs, Passed for more yards, and threw more TD's (also ran for 9 TDs) all on a very ****ty Baylor squad in a very tough conference comparably speaking.

He will need some time to develop and we need to invest in a O-line that can block, but this kid ain't Vick, he ain't Tebow, and he definitely ain't Pat White. His passer rating against AP teams was ridiculous. Seriously.

I was right about Cam Newton and I'm right about RGIII.
    It's the New Breed. Mobile but damaging in the pocket.
    I'm still not sold on Tebow they are having him playing in a highschool offense and he still can't complete even half of his passes and if their O-line and defense wasn't so good and he didn't play in such a weak *** division he would be getting killed and I actually like Tebow but he is not a good qb at the NFL level. The reason I brought up his size is because he is a runner and will get killed, remember were talking about a player that got injured and was put out for the whole year in college think about what the NFL players will do to him. I want consistency not a guy that will be fun to watch a couple years until he gets permanetly injured I want a guy playing for us for 10+ years thats how you win super bowls I'm tired of the gimmicks and trying to get players that are a jack of all trades master of known like mccluster and javier arenas. I want guys that do 1 or 2 things and do it the best like Tamba Hali. As far as Heismans go didn't Matt Leinhart win a Heisman? And what's he been up to? Oh yeah and remember that one guy that was a pretty good runner hmm oh yeah Vince Young yeah he came in second in the Heisman and not much since then... isn't he a backup now to another runnner who constantly gets injured...no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I think the big difference, one that's well documented among scouts and draft experts, is that unlike the "mobile qbs" tag you apply, RGIII is an excellent passer in regards to both accuracy and arm strength. What's nice, is that he's not always looking at his first read and if it's not there take off. He is able to see through his progressions. While that's something he'll have to continue to work on in the NFL, the end result for me points toward a passer that's excellent in the pocket, but has the speed and ability to avoid sacks (similar to Rodgers/Roethlisberger).
    AMEN! VERY WELL PUT!!!!!!

LUCK, RGIII, BARKLEY for me. Gotta love that Barkley kid, I was hoping they would be Stanford. Damn rookie RB coughed it up on the goal in OT.
    "If only we could take the 90's D and our '03 O......there's our Superbowl" :(

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Acutally, I always thought they said he was too short, not too skinny. People's complaints about RG3 arent his height, it is his build, or relative lack thereof.
    And the fact that he gets injured because of it and misses almost a season of football

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I agree with not wanting RGIII OLINE first. No matter who we get at QB we won't get anywhere without making big upgrades to the o line.
    I posted this on another thread, but feel it's worth reiterating:

I agree to some extent, but what has that done for the Dolphins (Jake Long), the Seahawks (Russell Okung, who's always hurt), the Browns (Joe Thomas), the Redskins (Trent Williams), the Panthers (Jordan Gross)...

One thing all of those teams are missing is a franchise QB. We can argue if Cassel is that or not, but I say there is a lot of room for improvement, and he's definitely not a guy that I'd be so confident in that I wouldn't hesitate to draft another guy like RGIII, Barkley, or Jones in the first round.

Simply put, the league is a quarterback first league. If you have one, you're pretty set to compete year in and year out. If you don't, well you're not.

Left tackle can be put on standby if the right quarterback is there in the draft, and you're picking early (which we will be). And this year's draft is certainly a deep QB draft. The same cannot be said for tackles.

If the Chiefs should choose to move down in the draft, while acquiring another first round pick, and taking a tackle and other position of need in the first round, I would not fault them if they think Cassel is the guy. That said, I still think it's foolish to pass on an RGIII talent if he's there.

Final food for thought, I always fall back to Profootballfocus (I wish I had the ability to watch every game and make these judgements myself)...Here are the top 15 rated LT's this year:

1.) Jason Peters, PHI
    2.) Michael Roos, TEN
    3.) Eugene Monroe, JAC
    4.) Joe Thomas, CLE
    5.) Donald Penn, TB
    6.) Jordan Gross, CAR
    7.) Jermon Bushrod, NO
    8.) D'Brickashaw Ferguson, NYJ
    9.) Duane Brown, HOU
    10.) Andrew Whitworth, CIN
    11.) Jake Long, MIA
    12.) Trent Williams, WAS
    13.) Branden Albert, KC
    14.) Matt Light, NE
    15.) Doug Free, DAL

Out of the top 5, 1 plays on a perrenial contender (Peters), and that team is not even in the hunt this year. Of the top 10, 7-10 are all in the hunt for the playoffs.

I just don't see, and never have seen, a strong correlation between stud LT's and team performance. On the other hand, you see pretty much the same quarterbacks in the mix for a Super Bowl year in and year out.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast