Thread: Offensive Line

Default Offensive Line

In every thread I read about our O Line. So, let's open one just for them.

What we have:

Albert
    Lilja
    Weigmann
    Asamoah
    Richardson

Others in the team:

Mims (T)
    Maneri (T)
    Hudson (C/G)
    Bruggeman (C) PS
    Harris (G) PS

I think our real needs are to replace Lilja, Weigmann and Richardson. Lilja and Richardson can be backups, but they are bellow average NFL level for starters.
    Hudson will become a starter next season (if he don't take over this season) and Weigmann will be gone. Mims is a work in progress and I think he will become a key player to our line.
    What are our real needs for off-season? A guard or center, pending to Hudson pos., and a short term contract, instant impact RT. I keep wondering why couldn't had been Gaither.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

I think Hudson should be starting now. I think the line has looked better when he has played. Wiegman gives it his all, he's just getting old.
    Chiefs in 2011

Here is a scenario I have with consideration that we are drafting outside of where the top 3 quarterbacks (Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, and Matt Barkley) go....so we look at trade down scenarios (similar to my mock draft posted awhile ago) :

In free agency we look at the following players specific to the offensive line topic :

Ben Grubbs, OG, Baltimore Ravens
    Anthony Collins, RT, Cinncinnati Bengals
    Breno Giacomini, RT, Seattle Seahawks
    Donald Thomas, OG, New England Patriots (not sure if he is actually a free agent)
    Jeremy Zuttah, OG/C, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Barry Richardson, RT - value in re-signing for swing-tackle depth and competition...he can't simply be penciled in at right tackle anymore.

Ben Grubbs will likely be re-signed by the Baltimore Ravens and if he does hit the free agent market will be the top rated free agent offensive lineman available. My priority free agents would be Jeremy Zuttah and Anthony Collins. Zuttah would give us the flexibility of being able to play either left guard or center - I am big on positional flexibility along the offensive line. I do think Zuttah could hit the free agent market, and if he did, I would definitely try to bring him in for a visit. Anthony Collins is a mid-tier tackle free agent. Overall, there aren't any top-tier free agents slated to hit the market, but Collins could be brought in to compete at right tackle with a re-signed Barry Richardson, a rookie (see below), and David Mims (if he shows enough to stick on the 53 man roster). Out of Collins and Richardson, the loser could be cut at a relatively low cost.

In my mock, I have us selecting Washington left guard/left tackle Senio Kelemete. He is an athletic linemen who is playing left tackle this year for the Huskies, but IMO will need to move inside to guard to stay in the NFL and make an impact. His positional versatility and upside is a definite plus. Despite his inexperience, he has come along way since transitioning from defensive tackle to the offensive line. He could give us some much needed depth and athleticism as he continues to develop.

A lesser-known right tackle prospect I like is Iowa right tackle Markus Zusevics. He doesn't receive the publicity of junior left tackle Reilly Reiff, but I like how the Iowa coaching staff develops their offensive linemen with a priority on technique and fundamentals. In fact, if I were in charge, I would really try and get Reese Morgan (Iowa offensive line coach for the last 11 years) to join our staff for the same position.

What I don't get is why we don't use any stunts or very many double teams on the OL. When other teams, like NE, have an under-performing OL, they stunt and scheme to minimize the vulnerability. We don't. We just line up man to man and wait for the bull rush. Even pathetic Denver gets that extra couple seconds for Tebow by stunting and double coverage. If we have 3 receivers, that leaves 7 on the line or 6 on the line and a backer for the relief valve. We almost never see this. It's like we are willing to surrender the rush and hope we get a quick dump.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    What I don't get is why we don't use any stunts or very many double teams on the OL. When other teams, like NE, have an under-performing OL, they stunt and scheme to minimize the vulnerability. We don't. We just line up man to man and wait for the bull rush. Even pathetic Denver gets that extra couple seconds for Tebow by stunting and double coverage. If we have 3 receivers, that leaves 7 on the line or 6 on the line and a backer for the relief valve. We almost never see this. It's like we are willing to surrender the rush and hope we get a quick dump.
    I think we do that, but the problem is, IMO, we need players that can win the one-on-one battles consistenty...and then when asked to get to the second level or double based on defensive alignments, they can do that too. Lilja and Wiegmann get very good movement, but both struggle handling man assignments...so we bog down against better front 7s. The zone blocking system is nice, but if you have too many light offensive linemen (as is the case with Wiegmann and Lilja lined up next to each other) then you have problems because I think they both need alot of help at this point in their careers when asked to block man-up instead of zone blocking...and moving in space.

This certainly doesn't tell us anything that we don't already know, but PFF has a nice write-up on Offensive Tackle Pass Blocking Efficiency.

Brandon Albert comes in tied with Eugene Monroe of the Jaguars for 10th overall.....and as expected, Barry Richardson comes in tied with Guy Whimper (also of the Jaguars) for 54th out of 58 offensive tackles in pass blocking efficiency. So needless to say, combine that with the fact that John Asamoah is relatively inexperienced and both Casey Wiegmann and Ryan Lilja are often physically out-matched.....and that is going to create a very, very inconsistent offensive line...which is exactly what we have seen.

Signature Stats Snapshot: Offensive Tackle Pass Blocking Efficiency | ProFootballFocus.com

We had this guy named Gaither who I will not be quiet about because it is proof of this organization's ineptness. In his 2nd game against the Bills, he rated at +3.5 and didn't allow any pressures. What team have the Chiefs faced where Richardson allowed no pressures?

This organization makes me sick.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Regardless on how we draft in the 1st round, we need to bring in an old school cat to coach old school fundamentals and definitely rebuild the interior line. Albert hasn't done bad at all. And Hudson has the quickest feet I've ever seen on a Guard. I believe he will be our center or G. Weigmann and Lilja are old but Barry was a project that has never panned out. Yes, I agree that Gaither should've never been released, wtf? I know he made a mistake in the Steelers game, but he was only in for one frickin play. We need a Will Shields and Willie Roaf. Bad. I still believe we will have to pick up a punishing runner to replace Thomas Jones and Jackie Battle. We have no physical Rb. Unless we use McClain at HB. I would love that! Just to add some punishment in our run game.
    Last edited by GoHardorGoHome; 12-15-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: add
    "If only we could take the 90's D and our '03 O......there's our Superbowl" :(