Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Weeden is a sleeper QB draft pick

Default Brandon Weeden is a sleeper QB draft pick

OSU QB Brandon Weeden

Yes he's 28Yrs old comin out of college but he is already seasoned and may go in the 2nd or 3rd round. I would take him over Landry Jones and Matt Barkley. He passed for well over 4000 yds each of the last two years and doesnt throw too many ints. I like him as a sleeper pick for us.

espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/235677/brandon-weeden
    "If only we could take the 90's D and our '03 O......there's our Superbowl" :(

28 years old, really! Was he in the military or something? I guess anything is possible during the draft but he seems like a guy that will fall. You don't grab someone that is 28 years old and try to groom them in your qbotf. My first thought is he could be a great backup somewhere. But if you want a decent backup, there are plenty of guys on the street that have nfl experience and have carried a nfl clipboard before.

So I think his best case scenario is that turns out to be Kurt Warner. Which isn't such a bad scenario. I know nothing about this kid but those would be thoughts from 30,000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    28 years old, really! Was he in the military or something? I guess anything is possible during the draft but he seems like a guy that will fall. You don't grab someone that is 28 years old and try to groom them in your qbotf. My first thought is he could be a great backup somewhere. But if you want a decent backup, there are plenty of guys on the street that have nfl experience and have carried a nfl clipboard before.

So I think his best case scenario is that turns out to be Kurt Warner. Which isn't such a bad scenario. I know nothing about this kid but those would be thoughts from 30,000 feet.
    He was drafted to the baseball major leagues and decided to go back to school and wanted to play football. He's a potential starting QB who could immediately step in and contribute right away. He has a nice touch on the ball and makes great decisions in the pocket.
    "If only we could take the 90's D and our '03 O......there's our Superbowl" :(

If by sleeper you mean napping on our bench for the next 4 years then you are correct. He's a backup at best heres an analysis of him from Todd Mcshay:

"Cowboys QB Brandon Weeden (Grade: 58) takes too many risks at times and is often sloppy with his footwork, but he’s showing a better grasp of pre-snap reads and understanding coverages. He is also showing solid pocket presence and does a nice job of moving his feet to buy extra time and to create passing windows."

As you mentioned he will be 29 his rookie season. You may like him better then Barkley are Jones but he is 6 years older. In ways your right he better at reading defenses then both of these guys but you is still behind the curb of being an NFL ready QB. If he rides our bench 2 years before he becomes a starter he will be 31 years old barkley or jones would only be 25. At 31 he might have what 2 or 3 years as a starter. I could see picking him up in the 4th round and just letting him be our back up but I don't see us building a team around someone like him. I do like the guy and he has a unique story but I think he waited too long plus didn't he play for Royals?

Nick Foles.
    The Chiefs are Back!

Quote Originally Posted by GarH View Post
    Nick Foles.
    Yeah I'd take him over Weeden

Quote Originally Posted by GoHardorGoHome View Post
    He was drafted to the baseball major leagues and decided to go back to school and wanted to play football. He's a potential starting QB who could immediately step in and contribute right away. He has a nice touch on the ball and makes great decisions in the pocket.
    was he drafted right out of high school?

Seeing how my wife bleeds orange and black ive followed osu this year (first time ive ever followed a college team) must say i agree with you guys about his age, hes seasoned has game if he falls i know id have to be as happy as she would be to have him on the chiefs. Not as a starter but if we don't draft a qb high and only keep one qb (orton, cassel) id draft him 4th round. ads security and a third or fourth option for whoever our head coach will be. Crennel won a little of me over against the champs beltless packers.

fyi to chiefscrowd fans who might remember jacko58 i have had alot of issues with that account so now im whackojacko58 missed voiceing my comments but im back :>

Quote Originally Posted by whackojacko58 View Post
    Seeing how my wife bleeds orange and black ive followed osu this year (first time ive ever followed a college team) must say i agree with you guys about his age, hes seasoned has game if he falls i know id have to be as happy as she would be to have him on the chiefs. Not as a starter but if we don't draft a qb high and only keep one qb (orton, cassel) id draft him 4th round. ads security and a third or fourth option for whoever our head coach will be. Crennel won a little of me over against the champs beltless packers.

fyi to chiefscrowd fans who might remember jacko58 i have had alot of issues with that account so now im whackojacko58 missed voiceing my comments but im back :>
    I was wondering... Welcome back, Jack!

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    If by sleeper you mean napping on our bench for the next 4 years then you are correct. He's a backup at best heres an analysis of him from Todd Mcshay:

"Cowboys QB Brandon Weeden (Grade: 58) takes too many risks at times and is often sloppy with his footwork, but he’s showing a better grasp of pre-snap reads and understanding coverages. He is also showing solid pocket presence and does a nice job of moving his feet to buy extra time and to create passing windows."

As you mentioned he will be 29 his rookie season. You may like him better then Barkley are Jones but he is 6 years older. In ways your right he better at reading defenses then both of these guys but you is still behind the curb of being an NFL ready QB. If he rides our bench 2 years before he becomes a starter he will be 31 years old barkley or jones would only be 25. At 31 he might have what 2 or 3 years as a starter. I could see picking him up in the 4th round and just letting him be our back up but I don't see us building a team around someone like him. I do like the guy and he has a unique story but I think he waited too long plus didn't he play for Royals?
    Did you ever see the movie Necessary Roughness?
    This guy is reminding me of Paul Blake(in the movie)
    A 34 year old gets recruited to a college to play QB. Never played earlier due to the death of his father.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast