Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kyle Orton interview

Default Kyle Orton interview

On the game: “That was a good football team we beat. The coaches put together a good game plan for us. Everybody on offense, everybody on the team did their job. They didn’t try to do too much. We beat a really good football team.”

Did you have an advantage having faced this team already this season? “It is always better to be able to see a team twice. Having said that they beat me the first time. That’s a good football team. They have a great chance to win the Super Bowl. We are happy we played together as a team. Our coaches coached great and we got a big win.”

Where does this game rank in your career? “This about the most fun as I’ve had on the football field. You go through practice and all that stuff but your teammates don’t really know you until you get in that huddle. That’s a special time for me, inside the huddle. I kind of turn into [another] person. I think everybody took it well. We had a lot of fun and battled together.”

Before scoring the touchdown, was it frustrating having only field goals on previous trips to the Red Zone? “We just kept on pressing. We kept on pushing and kept on fighting. Obviously, when you are playing an offense on the other side, which is so prolific, you want to come away with touchdowns. We talked about it all week. They did a good job on their goal-line defense and we couldn’t punch it in. It’s a team win. We kicked field goals and special teams played outstanding and we made enough plays on offense.”

Did it help to be named the starter early in the week? “Yes, not only for me but for all my teammates too. No matter what, the quarterback has to lead the team through the week of practice and lead them into the game. I always try to be the most prepared guy on the field and go out a play well for my team.”

What did they ask you to do in the game? “I thought our tight ends showed up. I don’t know if [Coach] expected them to catch that many passes but they were open and did a great job. They made some big plays. [Leonard] Pope made a couple of really big plays for us. Anthony [Becht] on the naked we ran to get the touchdown was a huge play. I think everybody stepped up. It was a total team win. It wasn’t just one guy. It wasn’t just one coach. It was everybody fighting together for a win.”

How do you deal with moving around and the uncertainty of the future? “We play Oakland next week. That’s the only thing that you think about. We had so much to think about this week. We played a great team in the Packers and now we will go play a big rival in the Oakland Raiders and try to go get a win.”

Was this the most excited you have ever seen a locker room? “I’ve played in a Super Bowl so it’s hard to say. All teams are different, with different personalities and that’s the tough thing coming into a team late in the season; you haven’t had training camp, you haven’t had all those grueling practices to get to know the guys. They haven’t had those practices to get to know me so it was a crash course on the field. I thought everybody gelled together and played hard for each other and got the big win.”

What’s the key to keeping the ball for 36 minutes? “I think that was the key to the game. We talked about it all week. I thought we did a great job of having success on first down. We ran a bunch of second-and-three, second-and-four plays. We could throw play action, we could run the ball, we could take shots and we did them all. I thought Bill [Muir] called a great game, was aggressive and gave us a great chance to have success.”

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    This scenario has been suggested many times. I must say I find it hard to believe.
    I was repling to "haley chose palko as a way to stand up to pioli."

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    I was repling to "haley chose palko as a way to stand up to pioli."
    I understood that. I was agreeing with you.

Wait a minute. Do some you the think that Haley didn't do a bad job with our QB situation, even though the first game without him and without Palko was our best win of the year. Yes he had many chances to replace Palko with Stanzi and two games to replace Palko with Orton and he didn't do it. Stubborn reasons in my opinion. I don't care if Stanzi threw 10 interceptions in one game. At least we would know what he's capable of. The coach owes the fans at least that after Palko's horrible display. Look how bad Denver thought Tebow was and because of the fans they played him and now there in 1st place in the AFC west. Thankfully Romeo is our HC now and now I can look forward to the next two games unlike when Hailey was coach!

Quote Originally Posted by 2010chiefs View Post
    Wait a minute. Do some you the think that Haley didn't do a bad job with our QB situation, even though the first game without him and without Palko was our best win of the year. Yes he had many chances to replace Palko with Stanzi and two games to replace Palko with Orton and he didn't do it. Stubborn reasons in my opinion. I don't care if Stanzi threw 10 interceptions in one game. At least we would know what he's capable of. The coach owes the fans at least that after Palko's horrible display. Look how bad Denver thought Tebow was and because of the fans they played him and now there in 1st place in the AFC west. Thankfully Romeo is our HC now and now I can look forward to the next two games unlike when Hailey was coach!
    I don't think any of us will ever know why Haley stuck with Palko.

And I don't think there are any "Haley defenders" left here. Including myself.

But do I think Haley deliberately got himself fired by defying Pioli and playing that moron Palko week in and week out just to F*** with Pioli? No. They ain't never made anybody that stupid yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I don't think any of us will ever know why Haley stuck with Palko.

And I don't think there are any "Haley defenders" left here. Including myself.

But do I think Haley deliberately got himself fired by defying Pioli and playing that moron Palko week in and week out just to F*** with Pioli? No. They ain't never made anybody that stupid yet.
    There are exceptions, Haley may have been that pizzed to do just that because he knew after the first half of the season that he was going to be shown the door after the season was over no matter what. He might have flipped out and that was his way at getting back at Pioli who knows why he did it no one in here and the only ones that do will never let us know it.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    I have dislocated my finger before and shoulder and all be it very painful i continued to play i would imagine any number of nfl players in the nfl have done it. mine were to my throwing hand and shoulder. haley chose palko as a way to stand up to pioli.

To what degree was your shoulder and finger separation? I have had a second and third degree shoulder separations and I can tell you one thing for sure...I darn sure wasn't throwing a football afterwards and could barely use that arm to do anything.

Again, NONE of us know the the detailed medical facts so to assume that Haley did not want to start Orton just to buck up to Pioli is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    To what degree was your shoulder and finger separation? I have had a second and third degree shoulder separations and I can tell you one thing for sure...I darn sure wasn't throwing a football afterwards and could barely use that arm to do anything.

Again, NONE of us know the the detailed medical facts so to assume that Haley did not want to start Orton just to buck up to Pioli is absurd.
    Yeah, I agree.

It's pretty clear to me that Haley knew his job was on the line and he had to win. Orton wasn't ready to play when we first got him. He probably wasn't ready against the Bears, either, but Haley felt like he had to play him when Palko continued to struggle. One flea-flicker later Orton couldn't play again.

So what about Stanzi? As the 3rd stringer, he wasn't prepared to start when Cassel got hurt. Before he had anough time working as the back-up, Orton was brought in and he moved back to 3rd string, so, again, he wasn't getting any snaps in practice. Haley probably should have started, or at least went to Stanzi in the Jets game just to show he was doing something to address the QB situation, but he must have felt that Stanzi would still be worse than Palko given that he had very little practice time with the starters.

I'm sure Haley wanted to win and keep his job. He just didn't have any options.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Yeah, I agree.

It's pretty clear to me that Haley knew his job was on the line and he had to win. Orton wasn't ready to play when we first got him. He probably wasn't ready against the Bears, either, but Haley felt like he had to play him when Palko continued to struggle. One flea-flicker later Orton couldn't play again.

So what about Stanzi? As the 3rd stringer, he wasn't prepared to start when Cassel got hurt. Before he had anough time working as the back-up, Orton was brought in and he moved back to 3rd string, so, again, he wasn't getting any snaps in practice. Haley probably should have started, or at least went to Stanzi in the Jets game just to show he was doing something to address the QB situation, but he must have felt that Stanzi would still be worse than Palko given that he had very little practice time with the starters.

I'm sure Haley wanted to win and keep his job. He just didn't have any options.
    True, true. One thing I believe for certain...Haley seems to be very competitive and I just don't believe that he would throw in the towel. If he felt Stanzi was the best option, he would have made that decision.

Now, I belive Romeo has said he would have given Stanzi a shot, but that was WAY after the fact. RC is experienced enough to play the fans and the media! LOL!

Anyways...I always want the Chiefs to do better...I sat in the stands in the cold and rain many years ago when hardly NO ONE else was there...

Hail Okoye on a rainy day!! LOL!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123