Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Take on the Chiefs Win Today (If anyone cares)

Default My Take on the Chiefs Win Today (If anyone cares)

1.) I've been a big fan of Romeo, and this defense all year. Put behind a competent QB that can actually keep the offense moving, the Chiefs defense is probably the most underrated in the league (right there with the Broncos that continue to win "because of Tebow").

2.) If the Broncos do win the AFC West, this plays well into the hands of the Chiefs. Why?

The Raiders have no draft picks and are stuck with Carson Palmer, which was a backfire waiting to happen from the beginning. Raiders fans tried to be oblivious of Carson's past and all of the sudden think he's a quarterback capable of leading a team to the playoffs. He is not. And they have about nothing for draft picks in the next year. The Raiders willl continue to be a sub .500 team for the next years coming.

On the other hand, the Tebow situation is interesting. Broncos fans, they love him. John Elway, on the other hand, is not a big fan. Does this pin the fans vs. management though, into the Broncos not drafting a competent quarterback? Who knows...I don't know if Elway has the stones to go against the fan base ... what I do know though is that Tebow could set that organization back a lot. He's essentially the Vince Young of today. Benefits from a great defense, doesn't do much for himself offensively, and is certainly not the solution for the Broncos.

3.) The Chiefs are an elite quarterback away from contending. And this point is key, because we, as a fanbase deserve better. We haven't gotten it to this point, and it's been 42 years since this team has been able to bring us a Super Bowl. But let's realize what is in front of us ...

A defense that can shut down and hold the best offense in the league to 14 points.

A defense that can keep the Steelers within range of being beat, and provided a competent quarterback, could have won that game.

A defense that shut the Patriots down for the first half, until the Patriots got the better of them in the 2nd half. Had the Chiefs had an offense that could have put up 30+ points (against a bad defense), that could have been another win.

What am I getting at? We saw what Orton could do for us today...What could an elite quarterback do on this team, given that we have perhaps the most underrated defense in the league?

Resign Carr, for one thing...The Chiefs corners have shut down the best wide receivers all year. Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Wes Welker, Jordy Nelson, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress...what have they done? Bring back Berry next year, and wow, we have something to really brag about.

Cassel, or Orton, can lead this team deep into the playoffs. Can they win a Super Bowl? Maybe, but I doubt it. But now is the time with an early draft pick, and a deep QB draft, to draft the QB of the future. If we keep going as we are, we won't be picking in the top 15 in the near future.

I'm rambling at this point, but will stick to what I've said all year. Put a legit offense with this defense against any team, and you have a Super Bowl contender...The ONLY thing missing from the offense? An elite quarterback.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 12-18-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Not sure how I feel about all this Manning talk. But you're certainly suggesting we offer an awful lot for a guy that we're not even certain will be able to play next year.

You're talking a VERY BIG GAMBLE.

Manning isn't going anywhere, and to suggest anything different would be to live a pipe dream. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Manning isn't going anywhere, and to suggest anything different would be to live a pipe dream. IMHO
    I think you're wrong. You saw what the Manning family is capable of when the Chargers took Eli #1 overall. If Manning isn't the future in Indy, the Colts would be foolish to sit on an asset like Manning without converting him into draft picks or other young NFL talent.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I think you're wrong. You saw what the Manning family is capable of when the Chargers took Eli #1 overall. If Manning isn't the future in Indy, the Colts would be foolish to sit on an asset like Manning without converting him into draft picks or other young NFL talent.
    I don't know; he comes with a pretty steep price tag. I don't know if anyone else around the league will want to pay for him.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    But there is a difference between a rookie coming into the league and a 35 to be 36 at start of season coming off a year layoff and what could be the end of his career injury even if he is cleared to play one wrong hit and his playing days are over. I know one hit and every player's career could be over but someone 36 that has had 3 neck surgeries in 6 months is a lot closer than most. I DO NOT want the Chiefs to give up 2 1st and a 2nd round pick for him the Colts could be using the picks after Manning is retired or worse disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I don't know; he comes with a pretty steep price tag. I don't know if anyone else around the league will want to pay for him.
    His contract won't allow for the Colts to be in a position to ask for a ton in return. He will bring back a decent bounty, but it won't be anything over the top that will set this Chiefs franchise back over the long-run.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    But there is a difference between a rookie coming into the league and a 35 to be 36 at start of season coming off a year layoff and what could be the end of his career injury even if he is cleared to play one wrong hit and his playing days are over. I know one hit and every player's career could be over but someone 36 that has had 3 neck surgeries in 6 months is a lot closer than most. I DO NOT want the Chiefs to give up 2 1st and a 2nd round pick for him the Colts could be using the picks after Manning is retired or worse disabled.
    There's no way the Colts could ask for 2 first round picks and a 2nd... for the exact reasons you just mentioned and the fact that he just signed a pretty large contract that the Chiefs would have to take over. If the Colts DO in fact, trade Manning, the Chiefs are one of only a hand full of teams who have the cap space and the need for a QB... in fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of a better fit for a player like Manning than the Chiefs. Again, we have the cap space, the resources, and an uncertain OC situation along with questions at the QB position... put that along with a team who's ready to win in 2012 and a front office who knows all too well what Peyton Manning is capable of and you can see how Manning is a possible fit in Arrowhead.

It's not like this franchise hasn't been the home of the last years of an elite QB before...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    1.) I've been a big fan of Romeo, and this defense all year. Put behind a competent QB that can actually keep the offense moving, the Chiefs defense is probably the most underrated in the league (right there with the Broncos that continue to win "because of Tebow").

2.) If the Broncos do win the AFC West, this plays well into the hands of the Chiefs. Why?

The Raiders have no draft picks and are stuck with Carson Palmer, which was a backfire waiting to happen from the beginning. Raiders fans tried to be oblivious of Carson's past and all of the sudden think he's a quarterback capable of leading a team to the playoffs. He is not. And they have about nothing for draft picks in the next year. The Raiders willl continue to be a sub .500 team for the next years coming.

On the other hand, the Tebow situation is interesting. Broncos fans, they love him. John Elway, on the other hand, is not a big fan. Does this pin the fans vs. management though, into the Broncos not drafting a competent quarterback? Who knows...I don't know if Elway has the stones to go against the fan base ... what I do know though is that Tebow could set that organization back a lot. He's essentially the Vince Young of today. Benefits from a great defense, doesn't do much for himself offensively, and is certainly not the solution for the Broncos.

3.) The Chiefs are an elite quarterback away from contending. And this point is key, because we, as a fanbase deserve better. We haven't gotten it to this point, and it's been 42 years since this team has been able to bring us a Super Bowl. But let's realize what is in front of us ...

A defense that can shut down and hold the best offense in the league to 14 points.

A defense that can keep the Steelers within range of being beat, and provided a competent quarterback, could have won that game.

A defense that shut the Patriots down for the first half, until the Patriots got the better of them in the 2nd half. Had the Chiefs had an offense that could have put up 30+ points (against a bad defense), that could have been another win.

What am I getting at? We saw what Orton could do for us today...What could an elite quarterback do on this team, given that we have perhaps the most underrated defense in the league?

Resign Carr, for one thing...The Chiefs corners have shut down the best wide receivers all year. Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Wes Welker, Jordy Nelson, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress...what have they done? Bring back Berry next year, and wow, we have something to really brag about.

Cassel, or Orton, can lead this team deep into the playoffs. Can they win a Super Bowl? Maybe, but I doubt it. But now is the time with an early draft pick, and a deep QB draft, to draft the QB of the future. If we keep going as we are, we won't be picking in the top 15 in the near future.

I'm rambling at this point, but will stick to what I've said all year. Put a legit offense with this defense against any team, and you have a Super Bowl contender...The ONLY thing missing from the offense? An elite quarterback.

I haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but after I read the opening post, I once again would like to say "Great Mind's think alike" haha

I've mentioned before that it seems we are usually on the same page when it comes to our thoughts about needs on this team.

I 100% Agree with this post! I hear people saying "Man we're set with Cassel, Orton, & Stanzi" 1.) Cassel proven that he is not an elite QB (Hell the guy didn't even start in College! I've been a defender of him for a long time, but since his injury I defend him no more) 2.) Although Orton looked good against GB, he showed he is better than Cassel, but I still don't believe he is considered an Elite QB, and don't think he is the answer long term for this team. & 3.) People ranting and raving that Stanzi is our QBOTF...C'Mon Man! I think if they thought there was any hope of that happening, we would have seen him on the field when Palko was sucking it up.

I'm not saying we need to get rid of Stanzi. My thoughts are that we need to #1 look to re-structure Cassel's deal, and Tag Orton with a 2nd or 3rd Round Tender or #2 Re-sign Orton to a 2 year deal, and trade Cassel. I think keep Stanzi on no matter what as our 3rd stringer, but we need to gain compensation from either Orton or Cassel, and look to draft a QB in round 1.

Anyone thought of the idea that we package our 1st, a late rounder, and Cassel to move up? Not saying we have the firepower to get Luck, but maybe Barkley or Griffin. (Ya never know...)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Good post, Ryfo, but I have to disagree with you on one thing.

I disagree with you here and for precisely the same reasons that you say we need an elite QB! If we learned anything from todays game it is that with this defense and just a proficient QB we can beat any team in the NFL. I know it's only one game and "on any given Sunday ..." but we beat the best team in the NFL without our superstar running back, without Eric Berry and without a really good offensive line. Get those guys back and upgrade the O-line at 1 or 2 spots and we are a Super Bowl contender with Orton or even Cassel. Although i think Orton handles defensive pressure better than Cassel does, we saw last year that even Cassel can be decent with a good run game to help him out.

An elite QB would be great, but if we get our injured starters back and upgrade a few positions in "the trenches" we can definitely win without one.
    I would actually have to disagree with you on this.

We need a team that can pick up the other side of the ball. Too many times this year the Defense has bailed the offense out, so what happens when the defense has a bad day? we get blown out by the Bills, Lions, and Dolphins.

Just saying, we need an offense that has the ability to put points on the board as well, and even Sunday we only scored 19. We need an offense that has the ability to win a shootout in case the D is having a down game.

Our D has played great at times this year, and I feel is under-rated, but just like our Defense has helped keep us in games, we need an Offense that can help out our defense as well, and an Elite QB would definitely help that cause.

Also, Since 2004 here are the QB's that won the Super Bowl: Rogers, Brees, Big Ben, Eli, Peyton, & Brady (All Elite QB's)
    And even the loosers had the likes of Warner, McNabb, Brady, Peyton, Big Ben, Hasselbeck (who was considered Elite at the Time).

The one exception: Rex Grossman (who could probably be arguably the worst QB to ever reach a SB.) So 1 out of 14 teams since 2004 to reach the SB had a "mediocre" QB....Odds don't look very good. I'll roll the dice with a potential elite...

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    My problem with that whole mentality is that all of those guys can be made to look like they are not elite QBs, if the rest of the offense is failing.

Not that I disagree with the philosphy. Just the notion that an elite QB has to be a guy who can do everything, regardless of the surrounding talent.

How did Rodgers look today, without all the receivers open everywhere, and with lesser pass-blocking?

Give him the poor play-calling that The Chiefs have had for the past several seasons, along with that, and keep it that way for two years, and then listen to all his former fans start calling for a new QB.

I look at a guy like Todd Collins, who, in limited play looked great with The Chiefs, and Vermiel's offense. And then, with Al Saunders' offense, in Washington, continued to show a whole lot of promise.

But, when Saunders left and the offense fell apart, he looked bad. And when he played for The Bears, who have yet to figure out how to build a QB-friendly offense, he looked horrible.

I think we have two QBs on our roster who are capable of being elite QBs, if we get a solid consistency from the rest of the offense, especially the play-calling and offensive design.

And, if we build a dominant offense around either of those guys, then the sky's the limit.

Sorry I know I just posted 3 times in a row, but I kept going to the next post and finding myself wanting to respond to it haha!

You've got to be kidding me! Look at the Colts! Proof that and Elite QB can elevate a teams performance!

And Brady has been great this year with a Defense that is close to the bottom of the league in most categories!

I'm not saying that one the 1st rounders this year will be of that caliber, but you have to think it's worth a shot to find out...

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    Anyone thought of the idea that we package our 1st, a late rounder, and Cassel to move up? Not saying we have the firepower to get Luck, but maybe Barkley or Griffin. (Ya never know...)
    It's been my opinion (and still is) that our first need is to strengthen our O-line and our second is more depth on our D.

That said, depending on how Orton plays the next two weeks I would have no problems with the deal you suggest so long as the QB we put with our first rounder was either Cassel or Orton--depending on how Orton plays the next two weeks.

As much as I believe that the offensive line and the D win games, having a young star QB on the team would certainly be a thrill.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast