Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Take on the Chiefs Win Today (If anyone cares)

Default My Take on the Chiefs Win Today (If anyone cares)

1.) I've been a big fan of Romeo, and this defense all year. Put behind a competent QB that can actually keep the offense moving, the Chiefs defense is probably the most underrated in the league (right there with the Broncos that continue to win "because of Tebow").

2.) If the Broncos do win the AFC West, this plays well into the hands of the Chiefs. Why?

The Raiders have no draft picks and are stuck with Carson Palmer, which was a backfire waiting to happen from the beginning. Raiders fans tried to be oblivious of Carson's past and all of the sudden think he's a quarterback capable of leading a team to the playoffs. He is not. And they have about nothing for draft picks in the next year. The Raiders willl continue to be a sub .500 team for the next years coming.

On the other hand, the Tebow situation is interesting. Broncos fans, they love him. John Elway, on the other hand, is not a big fan. Does this pin the fans vs. management though, into the Broncos not drafting a competent quarterback? Who knows...I don't know if Elway has the stones to go against the fan base ... what I do know though is that Tebow could set that organization back a lot. He's essentially the Vince Young of today. Benefits from a great defense, doesn't do much for himself offensively, and is certainly not the solution for the Broncos.

3.) The Chiefs are an elite quarterback away from contending. And this point is key, because we, as a fanbase deserve better. We haven't gotten it to this point, and it's been 42 years since this team has been able to bring us a Super Bowl. But let's realize what is in front of us ...

A defense that can shut down and hold the best offense in the league to 14 points.

A defense that can keep the Steelers within range of being beat, and provided a competent quarterback, could have won that game.

A defense that shut the Patriots down for the first half, until the Patriots got the better of them in the 2nd half. Had the Chiefs had an offense that could have put up 30+ points (against a bad defense), that could have been another win.

What am I getting at? We saw what Orton could do for us today...What could an elite quarterback do on this team, given that we have perhaps the most underrated defense in the league?

Resign Carr, for one thing...The Chiefs corners have shut down the best wide receivers all year. Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Wes Welker, Jordy Nelson, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress...what have they done? Bring back Berry next year, and wow, we have something to really brag about.

Cassel, or Orton, can lead this team deep into the playoffs. Can they win a Super Bowl? Maybe, but I doubt it. But now is the time with an early draft pick, and a deep QB draft, to draft the QB of the future. If we keep going as we are, we won't be picking in the top 15 in the near future.

I'm rambling at this point, but will stick to what I've said all year. Put a legit offense with this defense against any team, and you have a Super Bowl contender...The ONLY thing missing from the offense? An elite quarterback.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 12-18-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I would actually have to disagree with you on this.

We need a team that can pick up the other side of the ball. Too many times this year the Defense has bailed the offense out, so what happens when the defense has a bad day? we get blown out by the Bills, Lions, and Dolphins.

Just saying, we need an offense that has the ability to put points on the board as well, and even Sunday we only scored 19. We need an offense that has the ability to win a shootout in case the D is having a down game.

Our D has played great at times this year, and I feel is under-rated, but just like our Defense has helped keep us in games, we need an Offense that can help out our defense as well, and an Elite QB would definitely help that cause.

Also, Since 2004 here are the QB's that won the Super Bowl: Rogers, Brees, Big Ben, Eli, Peyton, & Brady (All Elite QB's)
    And even the loosers had the likes of Warner, McNabb, Brady, Peyton, Big Ben, Hasselbeck (who was considered Elite at the Time).

The one exception: Rex Grossman (who could probably be arguably the worst QB to ever reach a SB.) So 1 out of 14 teams since 2004 to reach the SB had a "mediocre" QB....Odds don't look very good. I'll roll the dice with a potential elite...
    I agree with you but I will turn it around how many elite QB's are out there? Ten - twelve and there are 32 teams out there so 20 teams are not going to have an elite QB should they just fold up camp until they can get the elite QB? It is fine to say draft one of the hot college QB and you will have an elite QB. Well look at the first round QB drafts that have been busts.

Jerry Tagge (1972)
    Rich Campbell (1981)
    Todd Blackledge (1982)
    Kelly Stouffer (1987)
    Andre Ware (1990)
    David Klinger (1992)
    Heath Shuler (1994)
    Tim Couch (1999)
    Akili Smith (1999)
    Cade McNown (1999)
    Vince Young (2006) is potentially a bust
    Art Schlichter (1982)
    Jeff George (1990)
    Andre Ware (1990)
    Dan McGwire (1991)
    Todd Marinovich (1991)
    Tommy Maddox (1992)
    Rick Mirer (1993)
    Jim Druckenmiller (1997)
    Ryan Leaf (1998)
    Tim Couch (1999)
    Cade McNown (1999)
    Joey Harrington (2002)
    J.P. Losman (2004)
    Matt Leinart (2006) is potentially a bust
    JaMarcus Russell (2007) is potentially a bust
    David Klinger (1992)
    Tim Couch (1999)
    David Carr (2002)
    Joey Harrington (2002)

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    I agree with you but I will turn it around how many elite QB's are out there? Ten - twelve and there are 32 teams out there so 20 teams are not going to have an elite QB should they just fold up camp until they can get the elite QB? It is fine to say draft one of the hot college QB and you will have an elite QB. Well look at the first round QB drafts that have been busts.
    Jerry Tagge (1972)
    Rich Campbell (1981)
    Todd Blackledge (1982)
    Kelly Stouffer (1987)
    Andre Ware (1990)
    David Klinger (1992)
    Heath Shuler (1994)
    Tim Couch (1999)
    Akili Smith (1999)
    Cade McNown (1999)
    Art Schlichter (1982)
    Jeff George (1990)
    Andre Ware (1990)
    Dan McGwire (1991)
    Todd Marinovich (1991)
    Tommy Maddox (1992)
    Rick Mirer (1993)
    Jim Druckenmiller (1997)
    Ryan Leaf (1998)
    Tim Couch (1999)
    Cade McNown (1999)
    Joey Harrington (2002)
    J.P. Losman (2004)
    David Klinger (1992)
    Tim Couch (1999)
    David Carr (2002)
    Joey Harrington (2002)
    I agree with you pretty much, but to be fair you did repeat a bunch of names on that list (in bold). Here it is again in chronological order:

Jerry Tagge (1972)
    Rich Campbell (1981)
    Todd Blackledge (1982)
    Art Schlichter (1982)
    Kelly Stouffer (1987)
    Jeff George (1990)
    Andre Ware (1990)
    Dan McGwire (1991)
    Todd Marinovich (1991)
    David Klinger (1992)
    Tommy Maddox (1992)
    Rick Mirer (1993)
    Heath Shuler (1994)
    Jim Druckenmiller (1997)
    Ryan Leaf (1998)
    Tim Couch (1999)
    Akili Smith (1999)
    Cade McNown (1999)
    Joey Harrington (2002)
    David Carr (2002)
    J.P. Losman (2004)

It's still a pretty long list.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Potentially?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Potentially?

Not my list grabbed off the internet so I did not take liberty that was my thought also Potentially I though he was.

Jrudi... you just made me throw up a little in my mouth when you said Rivers was an "elite" QB. That statement is so far off base, I feel it is pointless to even try and argue.

I'm just going to leave it with a simple...

... no he's not.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Jrudi... you just made me throw up a little in my mouth when you said Rivers was an "elite" QB. That statement is so far off base, I feel it is pointless to even try and argue.

... no he's not.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Jerry Tagge (1972)
    Rich Campbell (1981)
    Todd Blackledge (1982)
    Kelly Stouffer (1987)
    Andre Ware (1990)
    David Klinger (1992)
    Heath Shuler (1994)
    Tim Couch (1999)
    Akili Smith (1999)
    Cade McNown (1999)
    Art Schlichter (1982)
    Jeff George (1990)
    Andre Ware (1990)
    Dan McGwire (1991)
    Todd Marinovich (1991)
    Tommy Maddox (1992)
    Rick Mirer (1993)
    Jim Druckenmiller (1997)
    Ryan Leaf (1998)
    Tim Couch (1999)
    Cade McNown (1999)
    Joey Harrington (2002)
    J.P. Losman (2004)
    David Klinger (1992)
    Tim Couch (1999)
    David Carr (2002)
    Joey Harrington (2002)
    So you listed 24 QB's within a 39 year perior???

I'm not going to waiste my time going back and seeing a total of how many 1st round QB's had a successful career, but my guess is that Odd's are better that you find a decent QB in round 1 vs the one's who became labeled as busts.

The point is that here is about 3 tiers of QB's: Elite, Above Average, Average. Let's look at those QB's and their teams this year: (Note: I did not include rookie QB's)

Elite:
    Brady (11-3)
    Brees (11-3)
    Mannaing (Of Course Hurt this year but last 5 years averaged 10-12 wins a season)
    Big Ben (10-4)
    Aaron Rogers (13-1)

Above Average:
    Stafford (9-5)
    Matt Ryan (9-5)
    Schaub (10-4) (he did most of the work to get here)
    Flacco (10-4)
    Eli (7-7)
    Rivers (7-7)
    Romo (8-6)
    Vick (6-8) (that whole team was a mess)

Average (to below):
    Tarvaris Jackson/Whitehurst (7-7)
    Cassel/Orton (6-8) (I will say Cassel played above average last year, and our record showed it, but only 1 out of 3 seasons isn't promising)
    Chad Henne/Matt More (5-9)
    Freeman (4-10)
    Grossman/Beck (5-9)
    Caleb Hanee (since the loss of Cutler: 0-4)
    Painter/Orlovski (1-13)
    Colt McCoy (4-10)
    Fitzpatrick (5-9)

Trends and History show that if you have an above average to an elite QB, you typically have a better chance of notching the top records in the league and making it to the playoffs, year in and year out. If you have an average to below average QB, the likelyhood drops that you will consistently field a winning record and compete in the playoffs.

And if you look at that list: The Elite's: 3 were 1st round QB's, which could be 4 because Brees was the #32 overall pick in 01'. Only Brady was a late round pick. The Above Avg: 7 of the 8 were 1st round QB's and the Avg to Belows: only 2 of the 14 were 1st round QB's (which like I say there's always an exception, I think that Freeman is better than his record this year is showing)

Yes there is always the exception like a Trent Dilfer, but when you look at the %'s and recent history it says the the talent you have at the QB positions greatly affects a teams success.

I'm also not saying that every QB in this draft will make it to "elite" status, and that there aren't busts in the 1st round, but once again, if you look at the numbers (even in the league right now) the %'s will more than likely show you, that 1st round QB's have the best chance to become above average QB's.

All I am saying is look at the #'s, I know there are a million ways to build a team, and that you can find diamonds in the rough like Tom Brady, but History has shown that you can't bank on Stanzi becoming a Hall of Famer. If he does, hooray for us! But we need to try to control what we can right now, and stop thinking we can turn a 7th round draft pick into a Tom Brady (because that's only happened how many times before?)

This team is built.... We've got a great D, We've got extremely talented skill players, just imagine the situation a young talented QB would be in, if he landed on this roster. We are only a few positions away from really being competitive year in and year our, and although OG and RT are on that list, I think the more impact-full position is QB...

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post

... no he's not.

Listen, I hate river's just as much as any Chiefs fan, I think he's a total Jacka**, but sadly we have to admit that he is a pretty darn good QB. Look at what he did last year (stats) with absolutely no help (no Vjax, Gate's was out most of the year, and Mathews wasn't providing any run game)

I hate him, but man he can sling it, and if he had never been a charger, and was a Chief from the start, I think you might have a different opinion of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    So you listed 24 QB's within a 39 year perior???

I'm not going to waiste my time going back and seeing a total of how many 1st round QB's had a successful career, but my guess is that Odd's are better that you find a decent QB in round 1 vs the one's who became labeled as busts.

The point is that here is about 3 tiers of QB's: Elite, Above Average, Average. Let's look at those QB's and their teams this year: (Note: I did not include rookie QB's)

Elite:
    Brady (11-3)
    Brees (11-3)
    Mannaing (Of Course Hurt this year but last 5 years averaged 10-12 wins a season)
    Big Ben (10-4)
    Aaron Rogers (13-1)

Above Average:
    Stafford (9-5)
    Matt Ryan (9-5)
    Schaub (10-4) (he did most of the work to get here)
    Flacco (10-4)
    Eli (7-7)
    Rivers (7-7)
    Romo (8-6)
    Vick (6-8) (that whole team was a mess)

Average (to below):
    Tarvaris Jackson/Whitehurst (7-7)
    Cassel/Orton (6-8) (I will say Cassel played above average last year, and our record showed it, but only 1 out of 3 seasons isn't promising)
    Chad Henne/Matt More (5-9)
    Freeman (4-10)
    Grossman/Beck (5-9)
    Caleb Hanee (since the loss of Cutler: 0-4)
    Painter/Orlovski (1-13)
    Colt McCoy (4-10)
    Fitzpatrick (5-9)

Trends and History show that if you have an above average to an elite QB, you typically have a better chance of notching the top records in the league and making it to the playoffs, year in and year out. If you have an average to below average QB, the likelyhood drops that you will consistently field a winning record and compete in the playoffs.

And if you look at that list: The Elite's: 3 were 1st round QB's, which could be 4 because Brees was the #32 overall pick in 01'. Only Brady was a late round pick. The Above Avg: 7 of the 8 were 1st round QB's and the Avg to Belows: only 2 of the 14 were 1st round QB's (which like I say there's always an exception, I think that Freeman is better than his record this year is showing)

Yes there is always the exception like a Trent Dilfer, but when you look at the %'s and recent history it says the the talent you have at the QB positions greatly affects a teams success.

I'm also not saying that every QB in this draft will make it to "elite" status, and that there aren't busts in the 1st round, but once again, if you look at the numbers (even in the league right now) the %'s will more than likely show you, that 1st round QB's have the best chance to become above average QB's.

All I am saying is look at the #'s, I know there are a million ways to build a team, and that you can find diamonds in the rough like Tom Brady, but History has shown that you can't bank on Stanzi becoming a Hall of Famer. If he does, hooray for us! But we need to try to control what we can right now, and stop thinking we can turn a 7th round draft pick into a Tom Brady (because that's only happened how many times before?)

This team is built.... We've got a great D, We've got extremely talented skill players, just imagine the situation a young talented QB would be in, if he landed on this roster. We are only a few positions away from really being competitive year in and year our, and although OG and RT are on that list, I think the more impact-full position is QB...
    Thank you! I got to that list and just couldn't get over the realization that this was 29 people over a 40 year period. Yeah there's going to be a bust or two every year in the first round it happens. But that's 25+ people that weren't busts and I'm sure some of them were QB's. The draft is deep in QB's this year, especially considering that we're talking about 4 of the top 10 guys drafted this year could potentially be QB's. Then you have another 4 or 5 that could be second or third rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Thank you! I got to that list and just couldn't get over the realization that this was 29 people over a 40 year period. Yeah there's going to be a bust or two every year in the first round it happens. But that's 25+ people that weren't busts and I'm sure some of them were QB's. The draft is deep in QB's this year, especially considering that we're talking about 4 of the top 10 guys drafted this year could potentially be QB's. Then you have another 4 or 5 that could be second or third rounders.
    No, Thank You!

Exactly what I'm talking about! I'm not saying that there is no possibility of having a 1st round bust (You have them at every position, you just hear about the Quarterbacks because they are the face of their teams)

What I am saying is that the number's and history say that we have a better chance of having an early draft pick turn into a successful QB, than we do of banking on the idea of a 5th-7th rounder to turn into gold (Not saying it can't happen!! There is always guys like Brady and Warner, it just more unlikely to happen) just saying If that is what our plan of actions are to solve our QB issues.... we've got some things to worry about.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast