Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Take on the Chiefs Win Today (If anyone cares)

Default My Take on the Chiefs Win Today (If anyone cares)

1.) I've been a big fan of Romeo, and this defense all year. Put behind a competent QB that can actually keep the offense moving, the Chiefs defense is probably the most underrated in the league (right there with the Broncos that continue to win "because of Tebow").

2.) If the Broncos do win the AFC West, this plays well into the hands of the Chiefs. Why?

The Raiders have no draft picks and are stuck with Carson Palmer, which was a backfire waiting to happen from the beginning. Raiders fans tried to be oblivious of Carson's past and all of the sudden think he's a quarterback capable of leading a team to the playoffs. He is not. And they have about nothing for draft picks in the next year. The Raiders willl continue to be a sub .500 team for the next years coming.

On the other hand, the Tebow situation is interesting. Broncos fans, they love him. John Elway, on the other hand, is not a big fan. Does this pin the fans vs. management though, into the Broncos not drafting a competent quarterback? Who knows...I don't know if Elway has the stones to go against the fan base ... what I do know though is that Tebow could set that organization back a lot. He's essentially the Vince Young of today. Benefits from a great defense, doesn't do much for himself offensively, and is certainly not the solution for the Broncos.

3.) The Chiefs are an elite quarterback away from contending. And this point is key, because we, as a fanbase deserve better. We haven't gotten it to this point, and it's been 42 years since this team has been able to bring us a Super Bowl. But let's realize what is in front of us ...

A defense that can shut down and hold the best offense in the league to 14 points.

A defense that can keep the Steelers within range of being beat, and provided a competent quarterback, could have won that game.

A defense that shut the Patriots down for the first half, until the Patriots got the better of them in the 2nd half. Had the Chiefs had an offense that could have put up 30+ points (against a bad defense), that could have been another win.

What am I getting at? We saw what Orton could do for us today...What could an elite quarterback do on this team, given that we have perhaps the most underrated defense in the league?

Resign Carr, for one thing...The Chiefs corners have shut down the best wide receivers all year. Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Wes Welker, Jordy Nelson, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress...what have they done? Bring back Berry next year, and wow, we have something to really brag about.

Cassel, or Orton, can lead this team deep into the playoffs. Can they win a Super Bowl? Maybe, but I doubt it. But now is the time with an early draft pick, and a deep QB draft, to draft the QB of the future. If we keep going as we are, we won't be picking in the top 15 in the near future.

I'm rambling at this point, but will stick to what I've said all year. Put a legit offense with this defense against any team, and you have a Super Bowl contender...The ONLY thing missing from the offense? An elite quarterback.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 12-18-2011 at 08:25 PM.

If the Chargers lose tonight and we win our last two games, we win the AFC West. So I wouldn't put the Chiefs memorabilia in the closet yet.

I agree with most of what you say. I do think that we need to see Orton more then 1 game before we start to talk about how far he can take us. Today he was pretty good. He was not the thing that was stopping us from putting points on the board. I will have to see more from him before I decided if I think he can take us to a super bowl or not
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    If the Chargers lose tonight and we win our last two games, we win the AFC West. So I wouldn't put the Chiefs memorabilia in the closet yet.
    Still need Denver to lose their next two though (one would be against the Chiefs). They're sitting at 8-6. ON win makes them essentially the division champs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    1.) I've been a big fan of Romeo, and this defense all year. Put behind a competent QB that can actually keep the offense moving, the Chiefs defense is probably the most underrated in the league (right there with the Broncos that continue to win "because of Tebow").

2.) If the Broncos do win the AFC West, this plays well into the hands of the Chiefs. Why?

The Raiders have no draft picks and are stuck with Carson Palmer, which was a backfire waiting to happen from the beginning. Raiders fans tried to be oblivious of Carson's past and all of the sudden think he's a quarterback capable of leading a team to the playoffs. He is not. And they have about nothing for draft picks in the next year. The Raiders willl continue to be a sub .500 team for the next years coming.

On the other hand, the Tebow situation is interesting. Broncos fans, they love him. John Elway, on the other hand, is not a big fan. Does this pin the fans vs. management though, into the Broncos not drafting a competent quarterback? Who knows...I don't know if Elway has the stones to go against the fan base ... what I do know though is that Tebow could set that organization back a lot. He's essentially the Vince Young of today. Benefits from a great defense, doesn't do much for himself offensively, and is certainly not the solution for the Broncos.

3.) The Chiefs are an elite quarterback away from contending. And this point is key, because we, as a fanbase deserve better. We haven't gotten it to this point, and it's been 42 years since this team has been able to bring us a Super Bowl. But let's realize what is in front of us ...

A defense that can shut down and hold the best offense in the league to 14 points.

A defense that can keep the Steelers within range of being beat, and provided a competent quarterback, could have won that game.

A defense that shut the Patriots down for the first half, until the Patriots got the better of them in the 2nd half. Had the Chiefs had an offense that could have put up 30+ points (against a bad defense), that could have been another win.

What am I getting at? We saw what Orton could do for us today...What could an elite quarterback do on this team, given that we have perhaps the most underrated defense in the league?

Resign Carr, for one thing...The Chiefs corners have shut down the best wide receivers all year. Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Wes Welker, Jordy Nelson, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress...what have they done? Bring back Berry next year, and wow, we have something to really brag about.

Cassel, or Orton, can lead this team deep into the playoffs. Can they win a Super Bowl? Maybe, but I doubt it. But now is the time with an early draft pick, and a deep QB draft, to draft the QB of the future. If we keep going as we are, we won't be picking in the top 15 in the near future.

I'm rambling at this point, but will stick to what I've said all year. Put a legit offense with this defense against any team, and you have a Super Bowl contender...The ONLY thing missing from the offense? An elite quarterback.
    I think you are correct, this team needs a new leader, Cassel is not getting it done.

Good post, Ryfo, but I have to disagree with you on one thing.
    3.) The Chiefs are an elite quarterback away from contending.
    I disagree with you here and for precisely the same reasons that you say we need an elite QB! If we learned anything from todays game it is that with this defense and just a proficient QB we can beat any team in the NFL. I know it's only one game and "on any given Sunday ..." but we beat the best team in the NFL without our superstar running back, without Eric Berry and without a really good offensive line. Get those guys back and upgrade the O-line at 1 or 2 spots and we are a Super Bowl contender with Orton or even Cassel. Although i think Orton handles defensive pressure better than Cassel does, we saw last year that even Cassel can be decent with a good run game to help him out.

An elite QB would be great, but if we get our injured starters back and upgrade a few positions in "the trenches" we can definitely win without one.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Good post, Ryfo, but I have to disagree with you on one thing.

I disagree with you here and for precisely the same reasons that you say we need an elite QB! If we learned anything from todays game it is that with this defense and just a proficient QB we can beat any team in the NFL. I know it's only one game and "on any given Sunday ..." but we beat the best team in the NFL without our superstar running back, without Eric Berry and without a really good offensive line. Get those guys back and upgrade the O-line at 1 or 2 spots and we are a Super Bowl contender with Orton or even Cassel. Although i think Orton handles defensive pressure better than Cassel does, we saw last year that even Cassel can be decent with a good run game to help him out.

An elite QB would be great, but if we get our injured starters and upgrade a few positions in "the trenches" we can definitely win without one.
    I absolutely hear what you are saying...But if I were asked, what is the one position you want a stud at? I would say quarterback...Get us a Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc...Man this team would be fun.

I absolutely hear what you are saying...But if I were asked, what is the one position you want a stud at? I would say quarterback...Get us a Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc...Man this team would be fun.
    What if Orton could become that stud? It's possible. I know that he hasn't been GREAT where hes been but if Orton could become anther Trent Green I think that would be fun as well. And this time we would have a defense to go along with it. I would just say it's not time to shut the door on Orton going forward.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    What if Orton could become that stud? It's possible. I know that he hasn't been GREAT where hes been but if Orton could become anther Trent Green I think that would be fun as well. And this time we would have a defense to go along with it. I would just say it's not time to shut the door on Orton going forward.
    Amen to that, but you don't want to hand him the keys to the sprots car based on one game let him do it two more games and then give him the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Amen to that, but you don't want to hand him the keys to the sprots car based on one game let him do it two more games and then give him the keys.
    I agree. 1 game is not enough to give him the keys but it's also not enough to close the door on him is all I am saying.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast