Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what should be our biggest need this offseason

Default what should be our biggest need this offseason

ok yes we should start with naming a head coach. I don't like gruden and yes im one of those in love with cowher. But Crennel did gain some votes imo. But after that through free agency and the draft what should we focus on? To me it all depends on if jamall, tony, and eric can come back to the form they showed promise with last year. Number one who is the qb? stanzi, cassel, orton, id prefer luck but that would take....luck. we gotta build o line d line above all else. what do you guys want our focus to be this offseason to make you feel like itll be a succesful one?

O-LINE!!!!!! for the love of all that's holy. O-LINE.

Quote Originally Posted by whackojacko58 View Post
    ok yes we should start with naming a head coach. I don't like gruden and yes im one of those in love with cowher. But Crennel did gain some votes imo. But after that through free agency and the draft what should we focus on? To me it all depends on if jamall, tony, and eric can come back to the form they showed promise with last year. Number one who is the qb? stanzi, cassel, orton, id prefer luck but that would take....luck. we gotta build o line d line above all else. what do you guys want our focus to be this offseason to make you feel like itll be a succesful one?
    Unless we intend to lose somebody, I don't think the D-line needs much.

I think our DEs have been exceptional in 2011. Maybe we could look at some NTs. But that would tell me that we have low expectations for Powe.

Other than NT, I see nothing to go after here, except for some depth.

And I don't think our NT situation is at the top of our list of needs.

Houston has started to show some real promise, opposite Hali. And Derrick Johnson might well be the best player on this team, excluding JC, who is injured.

The Belcher/Williams combo at the other ILB spot could use an upgraded starter.

But they have not been bad.

The DBs should get a huge boost this offseason, with the return of Berry. And, so long as we do not lose Carr, I see little need for anything but depth there.

And even our depth has proven to be pretty darn good.

On offense, I think we are solid at RB, so long as JC comes back strong.

If not, then that would be a position I would place some emphasis on.

I like our WRs. But TE is certainly a question mark.

Myself, I like our QBs, but doubt our ability to keep, both, Cassel and Orton.

And there really is no questioning the merits of drafting a blue chip prospect QB.

Even the O-line is not exactly on fire.

I find Albert to be below average at LOT, but not a total disaster.

Hudson should excel filling in for either Weigmann, or Lilja, and I like Asamoah where he is. Which leaves either C, or LOG to an undersized, aging starter.

And then there's ROT.

I don't think Richardson is as bad as many say, but I agree that he is a liability.

And I don't see a real problem on our STs either.

So, for my money, I would rank our team needs like this....

OT - A LOT would be terrific. We could start him at ROT and allow him a chance to displace Albert, who lacks only the ability to handle speed rushers, around the edge. And, with Albert's abilities, he should be a great OG, which fills the final spot on the interior.

And, if he proves unable to take the LOT job from Albert, he still likely upgrades our weakest position, ROT.

RB - The placement of RB here is highly dependent upon the return of JC. And that will still be under scrutiny when we draft.

However, even if we have every reason to expect JC back at 100% for 2012, We have Jackie Battle, and little else. Jones is still getting older every year. And McCluster has not shown the ability to carry the load.

So, even with JC at 100%, I would still be looking for a star here. Likely a power-type of runner.

OG/C - I expect Hudson to replace Weigmann, and to do well there. So this is really more about the OG position. Our depth chart shows no backups. And that really isn't a joke.

We have Mims and Maneri, who are both supposed to be OTs. And they are probably both being prepared to step in on the inside, should a situation arise.

But we are very thin along the O-line, as a whole. And Lilja is not bad. But he is not great at run-blocking, nor pass protection.

TE - This too depends upon the status of a starter's return from injury.

But I think we will be taking a TE, at some point in the draft, regardless.

Moeaki, even if he returns at full strength, will continue to be a risk for injury, as will the others, and our depth is pretty scarce.

NT - As stated above, I don't think we are in bad shape here. But the fact that Powe has only played in one game suggests that he is not making much progress toward taking the starting role. And Gregg and Gordon are not stars, by any means.

QB - I include QB here, because I expect to need a backup QB, with either Cassel, or Orton leaving town during the offseason.

ILB - I like Belcher and Williams. But we are not really bleeding at any other positions.

Siler was lost for the season. And he may be enough to ignore this spot.

I would be OK with not finding a starter here. But it is not one of our stronger positions.

Basically, I think The Chiefs are in far better shape, as far as positional needs, than I have seen them in a very long time.

But there will be some surprises before 2012 starts.

We have some key starters who are scheduled to become FAs at the end of the year, and we still have some question marks about the players we expect to return from 2011 injuries.

But, if we bring back the starters, injured, and otherwise, I think The Chiefs are in very good shape for 2012.

I think that gives us the luxury of being able to make some deals on draft day, possibly bringing some future draft picks, to help replace players, as we lose them in coming seasons.

i like dorsey and bailey our rook this year, but i just have never liked what tyson jackson gives us hes to much a non factor

Hard to tell now, after the GB win. i think we are Superbowl ready!;D

Sign Orton
    Sign Colston
    Get a G and a T for the O-line (this shold make you guys happy! ;-)

Get Fisher as HC and retain Crennel as DC.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Sign Orton
    Sign Colston
    Get a G and a T for the O-line
    Agreed with this. I think those acquisitions give us a good chance to compete for and through the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Sign Orton
    Sign Colston
    Get a G and a T for the O-line (this shold make you guys happy! ;-)

Get Fisher as HC and retain Crennel as DC.
    I agree except whomever our HC is should be able to pick their own coordinators even Crennel said so. Just because we like Crennel doesn't mean he will work well with our new HC and if Crennel is our new HC he should be able to pick his own coordinators.

I still think our biggest needs will be QB, & O-line. I think we could use help at NT, ILB, TE, Sfty, & RB

Last week proved what I had been saying since Cassel went out. Our biggest problem on offense besides our OC was our QB. We need a talented young QB, and I would love to see us take one in the first two rounds. (RG3 in round one and I would be Giddy, Tannehill in round 2 might not be a bad one, and then you could let Cassel or Orton play until he is ready)

I think OG (Lilja) and RT (Richardson) are the only two positions on the O-line we need to worry about right now. Hudson is taking over for Weiggmann @ C and has shown this year that he can hold his own. I don't think Albert is as bad as he is made out to be, and with the Idea that we do still have Maneri and Mims, I think it puts more of an emphasis on filling our LG in an earlier round, or adding someone like Ben Grubbs in FA and finding a developmental prospect in a later round (only reason I could see us going the Grubbs route is because with Hudson & Asamoah, our interior get's very young and inexperienced (even though Asamoah has started this entire year) I think they would feel more confident having a vet in there to help man the ship (although Grubbs isn't actually that old, I think he's like 26-27 so we could plan on production for at least another 4-5 years).

So let's say we land Grubbs via FA, This now puts RT on our list of high draft needs. You could then look to guys like Andrew Datko (LT FLA St. and former teamate of Hudson, so I would think we've had our eye on him, since we scouted hudson, dude is a pure athlete, versatile, and hard worker) or Levy Addock LT from OSU in round 2, or A Brandon Mosley (LT Auburn) in round 3, and our line is looking a lot more solid.

Now we could look in rounds 3-5 add help at NT, TE, & RB. I've mentioned a NT like Josh Champman from Alabama (could be a decent option to rotate with Powe) in round 3. Or TE's like Micheal Engrew (Mizzou) or Ladarius Green (La-Lafayette) both are 6'6" around 240lbs and versatile and athletic, would be nice to have a receiving TE outside of Moeaki in case of injury.

In Round 4 we could bolster our inside run game with a guy like Vick Ballard from Ms. St. (5'11" 220lbs) Jones is getting older, and I'm just not a believer in Battle.

and round 5 we could look for ILB depth in a guy like Sam Acho from TX, or another option for an inside runner with Brandon Bolden (5'11" 220lbs) from Ole' miss.

I think with Pioli's talk about blaming himself for the lack of depth on the team we could see him be the most active in FA then we have yet. This is why I think we could actually plan to see at least 1 big addition on both sides of the ball. As I had mentioned Grubbs would be our Offensive addition, and I would love to see us go out and grab Curtis Lofton to pair with DJ. If we could land him, our LB corps would be among the elite in the NFL. I like Belcher, but would like to see an upgrade.

Lastly we need depth at safety, and would love to see us add help at DE even thought Bailey and Gordon have came on recently.

As said before, in the O-line we need a G/C and a RT. I'm not comfortable filling those 2 positions with draft picks, way too young line!
    ILB and RB are positions that must be upgraded. Our RB's are: JC, Jones, Battle, McCluster. Besides JC, we need a solid RB.

About QB, if we get Barkley or Luck, I'm on it, otherwise, keep Cassel, Orton and Sanzi.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast