Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill muir and hali want crenel as hc

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    No, he was a free agent. Not knowing a whole lot about him, I can't say whether he would have been able to make the change to a 4-3 OLD (Like Hali), but clearly the guy can get to the QB.
    I see. You can't keep everybody, I guess.

When converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 there is a lot of personnel shifting and it makes sense that we wouldn't out bid every other team in the NFL for a free agent who doesn't fit our defensive scheme. Maybe he could have been another Hali, but I think we are doing okay with Hali Johnson and now Houston.

I also see he his tied for 209th in the NFL in total tackles (34) and when you add in his assists (4) then he drops to 269th so if he doesn't get to the QB he's pretty much just running around on the wrong side of the play...

for whatever that's worth.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    Reading an article on this earlier, I came across this statement, which brought to mind how I felt during that time:

I thought he was a good pick up, and that we were silly to get rid of him. Dang.
    I was disappointed about this at the time also. Babin actually started his career (I think in Houston) as a 3-4 OLB. At the time I thought, since we were shifting to a 3-4, that he would have been valuable as the only guy on the D who had experience in a 3-4 AND could produce sacks.

But there is probably a reason that he bounces from team to team every couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I was disappointed about this at the time also. Babin actually started his career (I think in Houston) as a 3-4 OLB. At the time I thought, since we were shifting to a 3-4, that he would have been valuable as the only guy on the D who had experience in a 3-4 AND could produce sacks.

But there is probably a reason that he bounces from team to team every couple of years.
    It just occurred to me that the Eagles are using what is called a "wide 9" defense. The defensive ends line up on the tight end or outside of the defensive tackles and often are unblocked on their way to the QB. This would account for Babin's high number of sacks. The idea is to keep the QB from getting outside of the pocket and funnel plays up the middle. The problems with the wide 9 are that it creates big gaps for teams to run the ball through, you can't really disguise it, amd the DE's are so far away form the QB that he usually has plenty of time to get rid of the ball.

This would explain why Babin has so many sacks but so few tackles. It would also explain why the Eagles were 4-8 before winning their last 2 games.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by 2010chiefs View Post
    Well one things for sure. YOU DIDN'T SEE ANY OF THE CHIEFS PLAYERS DEFENDING HAILEY AND HIM KEEPING HIS JOB! But they will speak up for Romeo.
    Actually, Derrick Johnson did, as well as Jackie Battle...in print and tv, the day or two after his firing.

"Haley’s dismissal came as a shock to some of his players. Linebacker Derrick Johnson and running back Jackie Battle said Haley hadn’t lost the support of those inside the locker room.

“We believed in his system and believed in what he was telling us,” Johnson said. “He was a guy that was very passionate about what he does on the field and in the meeting room.”

Battle indicated that Monday’s news simply underscored the high expectations in the NFL.

“I don’t know if it’s fair or not, but that’s part of the business,” Battle said. “We’re judged and it all comes down to wins....."

Quote Originally Posted by KCraised View Post
    Actually, Derrick Johnson did, as well as Jackie Battle...in print and tv, the day or two after his firing.

"Haley’s dismissal came as a shock to some of his players. Linebacker Derrick Johnson and running back Jackie Battle said Haley hadn’t lost the support of those inside the locker room.

“We believed in his system and believed in what he was telling us,” Johnson said. “He was a guy that was very passionate about what he does on the field and in the meeting room.”

Battle indicated that Monday’s news simply underscored the high expectations in the NFL.

“I don’t know if it’s fair or not, but that’s part of the business,” Battle said. “We’re judged and it all comes down to wins....."
    Neither of those seems to be a statement of support for Haley or that they disagreed with the firing. DJ's is about as close as you can get to saying you support him but still not saying it. I had an old boss who had some good ideas but how he acted to those that reported to him and the person he was in general is what got him fired. You can agree with the idea and message but not want the person there.

Well I'm sure he really meant it too!

I think this shows that DJ and Battle are true Pro's. You cannot deny Haley did not light a spark to this team. I do not know if he lost the locker room or not, something happened.
    Cudos to DJ and Battle though for showing class.

If these guys want to play for RAC, I'm all for that.

It was nice to see the ball being moved down the field. Need to work on that red zone efficiency.

there have many errors in personnel since herm, put them out of mind or you will drive yourself crazy, also lets wait and see if we win out to jump on the romeo bandwagon, if..God forbid...we lose both i wonder if everyone will still want him as HC.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Why hiring Romeo Crennel makes sense - AFC West Blog - ESPN

Another article from ESPN summarizing the positive reasons for Crennel. They mention the Jax interim head coach as a possible DC candidate in that scenario. I personally dont know anything about Jax except that they sucked this year, so I dont know if their defense is any good.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Why hiring Romeo Crennel makes sense - AFC West Blog - ESPN

Another article from ESPN summarizing the positive reasons for Crennel. They mention the Jax interim head coach as a possible DC candidate in that scenario. I personally dont know anything about Jax except that they sucked this year, so I dont know if their defense is any good.
    In total defense the Jags are #4. Not bad. Total offense dead last. Not good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast