Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offseason Needs: OG Edition

Default Offseason Needs: OG Edition

So now that the end of the Chiefs season is near... We look to the off-season and how we can improve our team.

I have posted mock drafts and free agent wish-lists on here, along with many others, and as we all know, the draft/off season is extremely fluid, and the likelihood of one prediction working out to a T' is highly unlikely. Free Agency affects the Draft, the players available/selected affect the strategies and targets for the later rounds in the draft.
    So I have decided to take a different approach, and look at number of positions of need for the Chiefs (OG, OT, QB, RB, ILB, NT/DE, TE, Safety-In no particular order) Assess why it is a position of need, and look at the potential prospects from ALL avenues (Free Agency, and each round of draft). I will give some info about each player, how I think we might acquire them, and why I think they would be a good fit.
    I hope everyone enjoys the threads and it starts some good discussions, so please let us hear your thoughts on the prospects, as well as tossing out other ideas/prospects that might have been overlooked.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Depending on what happens with Orton, there may be a lot of talk about trying to trade up to get a QB. This may be diminished by recent events as there are not going to be as many college stub QBs available as had been expected.

Personally, I would like to see us focus on the O-Line. Of course I don't think any team was ever hurt by picking up a WR or TE.
    I just don't know if I like the idea of trading up, and Pioli doesn't seem to have a history of this.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to land Griffin, but with Barkley staying in school, there is almost no shot he falls to us in the middle of the draft, and I'm just not sold on Landry Jones.

Would have loved to have been a position to land a potential QBOTF, but not seeing that likely

On the other hand, I did watch the Fiesta Bowl, and DeCastro was throwing some mean blocks, did you see the Standford RB's? you can't tell me that all three of them were that overly talented (or they would have went somewhere besides standford haha) Looks like Martin and DeCastro helped there stock in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I just don't know if I like the idea of trading up, and Pioli doesn't seem to have a history of this.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to land Griffin, but with Barkley staying in school, there is almost no shot he falls to us in the middle of the draft, and I'm just not sold on Landry Jones.

Would have loved to have been a position to land a potential QBOTF, but not seeing that likely

On the other hand, I did watch the Fiesta Bowl, and DeCastro was throwing some mean blocks, did you see the Standford RB's? you can't tell me that all three of them were that overly talented (or they would have went somewhere besides standford haha) Looks like Martin and DeCastro helped there stock in that game.
    I'm on the decastro bandwagon after watching that game. Very good player

I'm leaning more and more towards him, but as I said in the first post, the off-season is very fluid, so I'm going to continue to look into other prospects and positions groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I'm leaning more and more towards him, but as I said in the first post, the off-season is very fluid, so I'm going to continue to look into other prospects and positions groups.
    Cool, whens the next position group?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    good job of finding info on OG,jrudi.
    i cant see pioli picking a OG in 1st considering we`ll be picking 7-15th. i can see pioli trading down,if he can pick up another 2nd or 3rd. if this happens the maybe a OG.
    i think we need a NT more than a OG. i would bet he gets a OG in FA.
    I also didn't see us picking a safety with the 5th overall pick last year either. DeCastro is expected to go in the top 15 and after watching the game last night that solidified it. Unless he has a completely poor workout he'll be in that top group.

Everything I've seen and heard and after talking to other Cowboy fans if we don't take him the Cowboys will. We need another OG and I could easily see us taking DeCastro.

Personally I hope we take DeCastro with a 1st and then going right back to the well and taking someone like D.J. Fluker (OT) from Alabama or Nate Potter (OT) from Alabama. Then we've got all of our line problems addressed and have backups if anything. Once that's done then draft a RB like Cyrus Gray after trading down in the 3rd or try for him in the 4th if we can't in the 3rd.

Either way we have two Oline spots to address.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotapower View Post
    Cool, whens the next position group?
    Coming soon haha, I've been busy, and it takes me a little time to get them all written up. Plus I am kinda waiting until the 15th (the deadline to declare for the draft)

That way I don't have too many of these threads about guys that aren't available haha.

Also trying to decide what group to do next. Trying to Decide between OT, ILB, or QB. Any requests??

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    I also didn't see us picking a safety with the 5th overall pick last year either. DeCastro is expected to go in the top 15 and after watching the game last night that solidified it. Unless he has a completely poor workout he'll be in that top group.

Everything I've seen and heard and after talking to other Cowboy fans if we don't take him the Cowboys will. We need another OG and I could easily see us taking DeCastro.

Personally I hope we take DeCastro with a 1st and then going right back to the well and taking someone like D.J. Fluker (OT) from Alabama or Nate Potter (OT) from Alabama. Then we've got all of our line problems addressed and have backups if anything. Once that's done then draft a RB like Cyrus Gray after trading down in the 3rd or try for him in the 4th if we can't in the 3rd.

Either way we have two Oline spots to address.
    Yeah, DeCastro seems to be the top interior lineman in this draft.

With where we are setting to pick, probably the top OT's will be off the board (Kahlil, Martin, and possibly Rieff) also not in a position to take a top QB, I think it would be likely to see us nab him.

I'm leaning towards DeCastro, and ILB like Donta Hightower, or believe it or not if Richardson is there I could see us taking him....

Never know though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12