Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Needs: OG Edition

Default Offseason Needs: OG Edition

So now that the end of the Chiefs season is near... We look to the off-season and how we can improve our team.

I have posted mock drafts and free agent wish-lists on here, along with many others, and as we all know, the draft/off season is extremely fluid, and the likelihood of one prediction working out to a T' is highly unlikely. Free Agency affects the Draft, the players available/selected affect the strategies and targets for the later rounds in the draft.
    So I have decided to take a different approach, and look at number of positions of need for the Chiefs (OG, OT, QB, RB, ILB, NT/DE, TE, Safety-In no particular order) Assess why it is a position of need, and look at the potential prospects from ALL avenues (Free Agency, and each round of draft). I will give some info about each player, how I think we might acquire them, and why I think they would be a good fit.
    I hope everyone enjoys the threads and it starts some good discussions, so please let us hear your thoughts on the prospects, as well as tossing out other ideas/prospects that might have been overlooked.
    Thanks!

Here we go with Offensive Guard…(Please try to refrain from staggering off topic, and remember this thread is about how we can go about improving this position group, not other position groups)

I think we can all agree that O-line is one of our biggest needs this offseason. I’ve mentioned before that our O-line is starting to take shape, but is still a player or two away from being considered solid. Last years draft addition Rodney Hudson seems primed to take over for the old aged vet in Casey Wieggmann as an easy transition, and 2010’s 3rd round addition of Jon Asamoah has taken the right guard position over by storm. The last of the 3 interior line positions could use an upgrade from the over aged and undersized Ryan Lilja, I like Lilja, but when you see a player with grey hair on the sidelines, it’s safe to say he’s past his prime years in the NFL.
    Now we might look to fill the position with a high draft choice, or we could look to a younger top-level free agent, to be the general of the interior of our line, hoping to get 4-5 years of production, while drafting a mid-round talent for developmental purposes.

So here’s for the Free Agent prospects:

Ben Grubbs (BAL) (6’3” 310)-
    Might likely be re-signed by Baltimore before any other teams have a chance, but has remained stable at his LG position despite having moving pieces next to him at LT since he has been there. Was originally drafted by the Ravens in the 1st round (29th overall) in the 2007 NFL Draft out of Auburn, and has remained at the LG position his entire career. Has the attitude Pioli will look for coming from Baltimore and although has been hampered by a toe injury this year missing a handful of games has 69 starts in 73 career games (only 27 years old). One of the top FA OG’s this offseason it may cause the Chiefs to get into a bidding war to obtain his services, but with the talk from Pioli taking the blame fore the lack of depth and being 33 mil under the cap, I think we can expect to see lots of action in Free Agency this offseason, with Pioli fearing his job depends on next seasons success.

Carl Nicks (NO) (6’5” 343lbs)-
    A HUGE man that could really help the interior push of our O-line and may actually be more likely to land on another team besides his current one due to the fact that the Saints recently gave big money to their other star OG Jahari Evans and might not have the ability to round up the cash to keep him in black and gold. Entered the NFL as a 5th round draft pick out of Nebraska by the Saints has 60 starts in 63 career games at only 26 years old. This will be his big payday, vs Grubbs already making his money as a 1st round pick. Has proven decent in pass protection due to his current offensive system with the Saints and is big enough that I would imagine should have no problem establishing the run as well. The one downer I saw was that I saw he was known as a slacker and troublemaker at Nebraska, but has since changed his ways as he has matured returning to Nebraska in 2010 to apologize to coach Bo Pelini for his behavior while there.

If the Chiefs opt to target one of these impact FA’s to man the LG position, The need for and OG in the draft is pushed back into possibly the 4th-7th rounds, and they can focus on RT, NT, ILB, Etc in round 1

Draft Prospects:
    (When looking at prospects I always take into consideration what Pioli seems to look for: Good Character, Possibly team captains/leaders, Hard workers on and off field, and a passion or love for the game) Feel free to add to this list if I missed anyone you feel should be added. Thanks!)

Round 1:

David DeCastro
    (rJr.) Stanford (6’5” 312lbs)-
    Potentially the top interior line prospect in this years class, and may likely be available when the Chiefs select in the middle part of the draft. Solid in both pass protection and run blocking on the move; was a big part of keeping Andrew Luck’s backside clean since starting every game of his college career since 2009 (redshirted in 2008). Known for his work ethic, great character, durability, versatility, and hard work on the practice field could see fitting in well in Pioli’s “Right 53” Also Chose Stanford for its academic standards, so has the smarts to control the line.

DeCastro could easily take over for Lilja, and now put our remaining focus to our RT in a later round.

From CBS Sports.com:It seems as though Stanford runs behind a pulling DeCastro on three out of four run plays because his prowess as a blocker on the move is impressive. Although he is not an elite athlete, the Washington native simply does get not beaten in pass protection, either. Sound technique, excellent toughness, and intelligence are all traits scouts look for in a first-round interior offensive line prospect--and DeCastro has them all in spades.”

Note: Cordy Glen (6’5” 348lbs) is another OG prospect out of Georgia, projected as a 1st round guy. I did not include him due to reports laziness. He is versatile playing both OG and LT, and stayed in school this year to transition to LT with hopes of being drafted to play this position. Weight and speed may project him as an OT.

Rounds 2-3:

Kevin Zeitler
    (Sr.) Wisconsin (6’4” 318lbs) (Projected late 2nd -3rd)-
    A dependable, no-nonsense 3 year starter at RG for the Badgers, appeared in 3 games as a true freshman (played in a reserve role first 4 games of 09’ due to injury). Is considered a hard worker on the field and in the weight room winning the “Badger Power Award” in 2010. Is being compared to Wisconsin’s 2011 3rd round pick John Moffit, as both are considered to have the size, tenacity, and mobility to play for a long time in the NFL. From In most mock drafts Zeitler has been projected 41% of the time to the Steelers (29%) and Ravens (12%) late in the 2nd round, With Clark hunt wanting to mimic franchises such as the Steelers and Packers, you have to think that if this looks like a guy that could end up in Pittsburgh, he’s just as likely to end up in KC.

From CBSSports.com: “Although he is not as large as Moffit, his lower center of gravity, agility as a pass proector, and consistency hitting targets in space could earn him a higher grade from some teams.”

Rounds 3-4:

Senio Kelemete
    (Sr.) Washington (6’3” 302lbs) –
    A versatile Sr. prospect who started his college career as a D-lineman. Played in 8 of 12 games his true freshman season as a defensive tackle, and made the switch in 2009 to start 11 of 12 games at RG. Transitioned again in 2010 to start all 13 games in 2010 as the Huskies LT, and remained at this position for the rest of his college career (2011). A hard worker who won the teams offensive lineman weight room honor in 2010 and plays up to his weight room numbers, strong hands, aggressive run block, and a passion for the game (which Pioli loves). Although playing LT for the past two seasons is projected better as an OG in the NFL due to his lack of footwork and size to take on edge rushers in the NFL.

Rounds 5-7:

Antonie McClain
    (Sr.) Clemson (6’5” 335lbs)-
    The main draw to McClain is his size, which could be considered a downside that may lead to endurance. Is considered a mauling interior lineman that posses “next-level” size and strength strong hands and a solid punch. McClain would be looked at as a “project” if we were to look at filling our OG position through FA or rounds 1-2.
    Last edited by Jrudi; 12-30-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    Here we go with Offensive Guard…(Please try to refrain from staggering off topic, and remember this thread is about how we can go about improving this position group, not other position groups)

I think we can all agree that O-line is one of our biggest needs this offseason. I’ve mentioned before that our O-line is starting to take shape, but is still a player or two away from being considered solid. Last years draft addition Rodney Hudson seems primed to take over for the old aged vet in Casey Wieggmann as an easy transition, and 2010’s 3rd round addition of Jon Asamoah has taken the right guard position over by storm. The last of the 3 interior line positions could use an upgrade from the over aged and undersized Ryan Lilja, I like Lilja, but when you see a player with grey hair on the sidelines, it’s safe to say he’s past his prime years in the NFL.
    Now we might look to fill the position with a high draft choice, or we could look to a younger top-level free agent, to be the general of the interior of our line, hoping to get 4-5 years of production, while drafting a mid-round talent for developmental purposes.

So here’s for the Free Agent prospects:

Ben Grubbs (BAL) (6’3” 310)-
    Might likely be re-signed by Baltimore before any other teams have a chance, but has remained stable at his LG position despite having moving pieces next to him at LT since he has been there. Was originally drafted by the Ravens in the 1st round (29th overall) in the 2007 NFL Draft out of Auburn, and has remained at the LG position his entire career. Has the attitude Pioli will look for coming from Baltimore and although has been hampered by a toe injury this year missing a handful of games has 69 starts in 73 career games (only 27 years old). One of the top FA OG’s this offseason it may cause the Chiefs to get into a bidding war to obtain his services, but with the talk from Pioli taking the blame fore the lack of depth and being 33 mil under the cap, I think we can expect to see lots of action in Free Agency this offseason, with Pioli fearing his job depends on next seasons success.

Carl Nicks (NO) (6’5” 343lbs)-
    A HUGE man that could really help the interior push of our O-line and may actually be more likely to land on another team besides his current one due to the fact that the Saints recently gave big money to their other star OG Jahari Evans and might not have the ability to round up the cash to keep him in black and gold. Entered the NFL as a 5th round draft pick out of Nebraska by the Saints has 60 starts in 63 career games at only 26 years old. This will be his big payday, vs Grubbs already making his money as a 1st round pick. Has proven decent in pass protection due to his current offensive system with the Saints and is big enough that I would imagine should have no problem establishing the run as well. The one downer I saw was that I saw he was known as a slacker and troublemaker at Nebraska, but has since changed his ways as he has matured returning to Nebraska in 2010 to apologize to coach Bo Pelini for his behavior while there.

If the Chiefs opt to target one of these impact FA’s to man the LG position, The need for and OG in the draft is pushed back into possibly the 4th-7th rounds, and they can focus on RT, NT, ILB, Etc in round 1

Draft Prospects:
    (When looking at prospects I always take into consideration what Pioli seems to look for: Good Character, Possibly team captains/leaders, Hard workers on and off field, and a passion or love for the game) Feel free to add to this list if I missed anyone you feel should be added. Thanks!)

Round 1:

David DeCastro
    (rJr.) Stanford (6’5” 312lbs)-
    Potentially the top interior line prospect in this years class, and may likely be available when the Chiefs select in the middle part of the draft. Solid in both pass protection and run blocking on the move; was a big part of keeping Andrew Luck’s backside clean since starting every game of his college career since 2009 (redshirted in 2008). Known for his work ethic, great character, durability, versatility, and hard work on the practice field could see fitting in well in Pioli’s “Right 53” Also Chose Stanford for its academic standards, so has the smarts to control the line.

DeCastro could easily take over for Lilja, and now put our remaining focus to our RT in a later round.

From CBS Sports.com:It seems as though Stanford runs behind a pulling DeCastro on three out of four run plays because his prowess as a blocker on the move is impressive. Although he is not an elite athlete, the Washington native simply does get not beaten in pass protection, either. Sound technique, excellent toughness, and intelligence are all traits scouts look for in a first-round interior offensive line prospect--and DeCastro has them all in spades.”

Note: Cordy Glen (6’5” 348lbs) is another OG prospect out of Georgia, projected as a 1st round guy. I did not include him due to reports laziness. He is versatile playing both OG and LT, and stayed in school this year to transition to LT with hopes of being drafted to play this position. Weight and speed may project him as an OT.

Rounds 2-3:

Kevin Zeitler
    (Sr.) Wisconsin (6’4” 318lbs) (Projected late 2nd -3rd)-
    A dependable, no-nonsense 3 year starter at RG for the Badgers, appeared in 3 games as a true freshman (played in a reserve role first 4 games of 09’ due to injury). Is considered a hard worker on the field and in the weight room winning the “Badger Power Award” in 2010. Is being compared to Wisconsin’s 2011 3rd round pick John Moffit, as both are considered to have the size, tenacity, and mobility to play for a long time in the NFL. From In most mock drafts Zeitler has been projected 41% of the time to the Steelers (29%) and Ravens (12%) late in the 2nd round, With Clark hunt wanting to mimic franchises such as the Steelers and Packers, you have to think that if this looks like a guy that could end up in Pittsburgh, he’s just as likely to end up in KC.

From CBSSports.com: “Although he is not as large as Moffit, his lower center of gravity, agility as a pass proector, and consistency hitting targets in space could earn him a higher grade from some teams.”

Rounds 3-4:

Senio Kelemete
    (Sr.) Washington (6’3” 302lbs) –
    A versatile Sr. prospect who started his college career as a D-lineman. Played in 8 of 12 games his true freshman season as a defensive tackle, and made the switch in 2009 to start 11 of 12 games at RG. Transitioned again in 2010 to start all 13 games in 2010 as the Huskies LT, and remained at this position for the rest of his college career (2011). A hard worker who won the teams offensive lineman weight room honor in 2010 and plays up to his weight room numbers, strong hands, aggressive run block, and a passion for the game (which Pioli loves). Although playing LT for the past two seasons is projected better as an OG in the NFL due to his lack of footwork and size to take on edge rushers in the NFL.

Rounds 5-7:

Antonie McClain
    (Sr.) Clemson (6’5” 335lbs)-
    The main draw to McClain is his size, which could be considered a downside that may lead to endurance. Is considered a mauling interior lineman that posses “next-level” size and strength strong hands and a solid punch. McClain would be looked at as a “project” if we were to look at filling our OG position through FA or rounds 1-2.
    Has pioli ever drafted defense, getting balwin was a stretch i just dont see him going ol. I saw a mock draft with us getting a NT out ifmemphis 6ft 5 350 lbs and freakishly athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Has pioli ever drafted defense, getting balwin was a stretch
    Pioli's 1st 2 draft choices for us were Defensive players (Tyson Jackson, and Eric Berry), not sure I understand the comment about Baldwin as related to our defense...

i just dont see him going ol.
    Like I said, this is not a mock draft, just going position by position that I think are needs and putting down possibilities through the draft anf FA. This position group is to replace our LG, as I see as a position of need.

I saw a mock draft with us getting a NT out ifmemphis 6ft 5 350 lbs and freakishly athletic.
    Guy's name is Dontari Poe, He will more than likely be on my list of NT's when I get to that position group, but I've seen that he is projected as a late 1st or early 2nd round pick (might be a stretch for us to take him where we will be)

Plus if I remember right, I think he had some character issues?? not known as a hard worker, and has issues with weight. I will look into it more when I move on to the NT position.

Pioli's 1st 2 draft choices for us were Defensive players (Tyson Jackson, and Eric Berry), not sure I understand the comment about Baldwin as related to our defense...

Just referring to pioli historically drafts defense in the first round vs offense like he did last year, apologies for not being clear.

Guy's name is Dontari Poe, He will more than likely be on my list of NT's when I get to that position group, but I've seen that he is projected as a late 1st or early 2nd round pick (might be a stretch for us to take him where we will be)

Plus if I remember right, I think he had some character issues?? not known as a hard worker, and has issues with weight. I will look into it more when I move on to the NT position.
    From what i have read, he seens to have a lot of vince wilfork characteristics, so i hope. His character issues dont outweigh his talent. Also said that after the combine hell move up boards because of relative anonymity in memphis

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

good job of finding info on OG,jrudi.
    i cant see pioli picking a OG in 1st considering we`ll be picking 7-15th. i can see pioli trading down,if he can pick up another 2nd or 3rd. if this happens the maybe a OG.
    i think we need a NT more than a OG. i would bet he gets a OG in FA.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Just referring to pioli historically drafts defense in the first round vs offense like he did last year, apologies for not being clear.

From what i have read, he seens to have a lot of vince wilfork characteristics, so i hope. His character issues dont outweigh his talent. Also said that after the combine hell move up boards because of relative anonymity in memphis

He's got a pretty good mix. Since 1992 He's had his hands in 19 1st round picks. (9 Offensive & 10 Defensive)

If you just look at his time with the Patriots (this what when he was actually the general manager/VP of Player personnel), he had 4 Offensive & 5 Defensive selections

With Browns:(assisted in evaluation of college players and FA's)
    • 1992 Draft #9 pick - Tommy Vardell RB
    • 1993 Draft #13 pick - Steve Everitt C
    • 1994 Draft #9 pick - Antonio Langham DB / #29 Pick - Derrick Alexander WR
    • 1995 Draft #30 pick - Craig Powell LB
    With Ravens:
    • 1996 Draft #4 pick - Johnathan Ogden - T / #26 Pick - Ray Lewis LB
    With Patriots:
    • 2000 Draft - No Pick
    • 2001 Draft #6 pick - Richard Seymour DT
    • 2002 Draft #21 pick - Danial Grahm TE
    • 2003 Draft #13 pick - Ty Warren DE
    • 2004 Draft #22 pick - Vince Wilfork DT / #30 pick - Ben Watson TE
    • 2005 Draft #32 pick - Logan Mankins OG
    • 2006 Draft #21 pick - Laurance Maroney RB
    • 2007 Draft #24 pick - Brandon Meriweather S
    • 2008 Draft #10 pick - Jerod Mayo LB
    With Chiefs:
    • 2009 Draft #3 pick - Tyson Jackson DE
    • 2010 Draft #5 pick- Eric Berry SS
    • 2011 Draft #21 pick- Jon Baldwin WR
    So it's really tough to say that he leans to one side of the ball. I really think he looks at best player available based on positions of need. There are some pretty decent names on this list. Looks good for the Chiefs...

He's got a pretty good mix. Since 1992 He's had his hands in 19 1st round picks. (9 Offensive & 10 Defensive)

If you just look at his time with the Patriots (this what when he was actually the general manager/VP of Player personnel), he had 4 Offensive & 5 Defensive selections

With Browns:(assisted in evaluation of college players and FA's)
    • 1992 Draft #9 pick - Tommy Vardell RB
    • 1993 Draft #13 pick - Steve Everitt C
    • 1994 Draft #9 pick - Antonio Langham DB / #29 Pick - Derrick Alexander WR
    • 1995 Draft #30 pick - Craig Powell LB
    With Ravens:
    • 1996 Draft #4 pick - Johnathan Ogden - T / #26 Pick - Ray Lewis LB
    With Patriots:
    • 2000 Draft - No Pick
    • 2001 Draft #6 pick - Richard Seymour DT
    • 2002 Draft #21 pick - Danial Grahm TE
    • 2003 Draft #13 pick - Ty Warren DE
    • 2004 Draft #22 pick - Vince Wilfork DT / #30 pick - Ben Watson TE
    • 2005 Draft #32 pick - Logan Mankins OG
    • 2006 Draft #21 pick - Laurance Maroney RB
    • 2007 Draft #24 pick - Brandon Meriweather S
    • 2008 Draft #10 pick - Jerod Mayo LB
    With Chiefs:
    • 2009 Draft #3 pick - Tyson Jackson DE
    • 2010 Draft #5 pick- Eric Berry SS
    • 2011 Draft #21 pick- Jon Baldwin WR
    So it's really tough to say that he leans to one side of the ball. I really think he looks at best player available based on positions of need. There are some pretty decent names on this list. Looks good for the Chiefs...
    That is an impressive list. Wow. Id say we are in good hands.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    good job of finding info on OG,jrudi.
    i cant see pioli picking a OG in 1st considering we`ll be picking 7-15th. i can see pioli trading down,if he can pick up another 2nd or 3rd. if this happens the maybe a OG.
    i think we need a NT more than a OG. i would bet he gets a OG in FA.
    Thanks!

Yeah I just wanted to take a different approach than doing a mock draft.

As I said in the initial post, the off season is just way to fluid to have one prediction work out as proposed, so I thought I would look at all angles.

The only reason I could see Pioli taking an OG in round one is because that DeCastro guy sounds like a Pioli guy, but I do think he looks to trade back, I'm just thinking that with it being one of the bigger positions of need, we might see it happen, never know though, that's why I'm going to look at other positions and the prospects for each round.

I would love to have Nicks or Grubbs and look at another position in round 1. but to be honest, I would love to have DeCastro on this team as well.

Depending on what happens with Orton, there may be a lot of talk about trying to trade up to get a QB. This may be diminished by recent events as there are not going to be as many college stub QBs available as had been expected.

Personally, I would like to see us focus on the O-Line. Of course I don't think any team was ever hurt by picking up a WR or TE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast