Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: QB challenge 2012 edition

Default QB challenge 2012 edition

Career stats
    Cassel 59% 11,699 yards 76td's 45int 169.6 ypg 82.5 rate passes 20+ yards 139 40+ yards 23
    Orton 58.3% 14,532 yards 80td's 50int 204.7pg 79.4 rate passes 20+ yards 174 40+ yards 31

Last 3 games
    Cassel 52.4 607 yards 2td's 2int 202 ypg rate 69.4 sks 12
    Orton 60.8% 779 yards 1td 2int 260 ypg 81.1 rate sks 1

Against the same opponents as a Chief 2011/12 season
    (Denver and Raiders)
    Cassel 48.2% 254 yards 1td 2int 52.4 rate 2sks 1 win
    Orton 55% 480 yards 1td 2int 71 rate 1sks 1 win

This is a lot of work so if anyone wants to help out I'm all for it, I'm going to next look at how they both performed against top 5 pass defenses but I have some things to do today, so It might take awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    Career stats
    Cassel 59% 11,699 yards 76td's 45int 169.6 ypg 82.5 rate passes 20+ yards 139 40+ yards 23
    Orton 58.3% 14,532 yards 80td's 50int 204.7pg 79.4 rate passes 20+ yards 174 40+ yards 31

Last 3 games
    Cassel 52.4 607 yards 2td's 2int 202 ypg rate 69.4 sks 12
    Orton 60.8% 779 yards 1td 2int 260 ypg 81.1 rate sks 1

Against the same opponents as a Chief 2011/12 season
    (Denver and Raiders)
    Cassel 48.2% 254 yards 1td 2int 52.4 rate 2sks 1 win
    Orton 55% 480 yards 1td 2int 71 rate 1sks 1 win

This is a lot of work so if anyone wants to help out I'm all for it, I'm going to next look at how they both performed against top 5 pass defenses but I have some things to do today, so It might take awhile.
    How they did against the same passing defenses over 2 years.

Kyle Orton

2010 teams
    Chargers 63.2% 217 yards 1 TD's 1 Int
    Raiders 41.4% 198 yards 2 TD's 1 Int

Total 415 yards 3 TD's 2 Int

Average Per game 52.3% 207.5 yards 1.5 TD's 1 Int

Raiders 56.5% 157 Yards 1 TD's 0 INT
    Chargers 69.0% 229 Yards 2TD's 0 INT
    Raiders 55.9% 278 Yards 1 TD's 0 INT
    Chargers 51.7% 171 Yards 0 TD's 1 INT

Total 835 yards 4 TD's 1 Int

Average Per game 58.3% 209 yards 1TD's .25 Int

Matt Cassel

Chargers 45.5% 68yards 1 TD's 0 Int
    Raiders 57.1% 216 yards 2 TD's 1 Int

Total 284 yards 3 TD's 1 Int

Average Per game 51.3% 142yards 1.5 TD's .5 Int

Raiders 61.5% 241Yards 1 TD's 2 INT
    Chargers 40.0% 97 Yards 1 TD's 3 INT
    Raiders 55.9% 216 Yards 0 TD's 1 INT
    Chargers 61.3% 178 Yards 1 TD's 1 INT

Total 732 yards 3 TD's 7 Int

Average Per game 54.7% 183 yards .75 TD's 1.75 Int

Total all 6 games same opponents

Orton 1250 Yards 7 TD's 3 Int
    Cassel 1016 Yards 6 TD's 8 Int

Average of 6 games same opponents

Orton 55.3% 208.25 Yards 1.25 TD's .625 Int
    Cassel 53% 162.5 Yards 1.13 TD's 1.13 Int

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Orton's contract is up in March. I think if Orton is offered a job as a starter elsewhere anytime soon he may take it. It may be hard to pass up. He would not be offered a starting spot here. He would have to battle it out with Cassel. As far as a trade, we can't trade him.
    But we will be compensated a draft pick if he signs elsewhere My money is they franchise him.

How many franchise tags can you have per season? I would much rather use it on Bowe. The thing that scares me about Orton is the number of interceptions he has had in the past. That was Denver's #1 complaint. The stats between Orton and Cassel are not that much different, but why spend money on two so so QB's?

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    How many franchise tags can you have per season? I would much rather use it on Bowe. The thing that scares me about Orton is the number of interceptions he has had in the past. That was Denver's #1 complaint. The stats between Orton and Cassel are not that much different, but why spend money on two so so QB's?
    I have to disagree with the Orton/INTs sentiment.

He has actually been pretty good for his entire career in that exactly that field.

The average for NFL teams, in 2011, was almost precisely one INT per game.

Orton was right on that line this season, with 9 INTs in nine starts.

Prior to this season, he had been better than that every single year of his career.

2010 - 13 Starts; 9 INTs.
    2009 - 15 Starts; 12 INTs
    2008 - 15 Starts; 12 INTs
    2007 - 3 Starts; 2 INTs
    2005 - 15 Starts; 12 INTs.

I think the big knock on him is that he was not drafted as a superstar.

The only other reasonable critique I have heard is that he has a difficult time getting his team into the endzone.

But I don't think that INTs is a legitimate complaint against Kyle Orton.

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    Orton may not want to deal with a competition. He's been through two QB controversies already. He wants to start.
    I still say that Orton is the better play action QB. They are fairly equal in all stats.
    I'm all for the competition, just do not think Orton is.
    This bugs the heck out of me. Not the comment, which I agree with, but the perception that Orton doesn't want to compete. If that really is his attitude then I say, "Good riddance." I don't want a QB who thinks he should just be handed the starting job and isn't willing to show he deserves it. I want a guy that is willing to sign with Green Bay or New England and says, "Yeah. That guy's good, but I can do better!"

On the other hand, I do understand when he says, "this is Cassel's team." While I do think that is, to a large extent, just hem showing respect as the newcomer, and being humble and politically correct, I can see that he may recognize that it will be difficult for the Chiefs to keep them both.

I can completely understand him wanting to be the starter and possibly taking a job where that is more likely. The thing is, he might not be in a position to make that happen.

The reality of the situation is that Orton lost his starting job to Grossman, was traded for Cutler and then lost it again to Tebow. Now if the Chiefs keep Cassel over him, that will be the 4th QB he has lost out to. He may have to earn the starting job regardless of where he signs. I think teams that desperately need a QB are more likely to go after a good rookie in the draft than overpay Orton who has shown ability, but hasn't shown that he can keep the starting job.

I think some here are over valuing Orton because he came in here and beat the packers right away. Given the way he has played the last 3 games, I think very highly of him as well, but I'm not sure other teams will feel the same way.

I also think that if Orton has to compete for the starting spot, his best chance of winning that competition is right here in KC. I think he has the talent to beat out Cassel, and the self confidence to believe he can do it.

If the Chiefs don't resign Kyle, I will be very disappointed, but I will understand and Matt will have my full support. But I really want to see Kyle iin a Cheifs uniform next summer.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 01-02-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Losing Kyle Orton would be a major setback for this team. He is the better QB and he has proven it in the last 3 games to me. If we lose Kyle Orton and see Matt Cassel get handed the starting position next year, i'll be sick. Specially having to hear all the excuses the Cassel supporters will think of next. If Orton leaves then I would hope we add another QB to compete with Cassel. Make him earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010chiefs View Post
    Losing Kyle Orton would be a major setback for this team. He is the better QB and he has proven it in the last 3 games to me. If we lose Kyle Orton and see Matt Cassel get handed the starting position next year, i'll be sick. Specially having to hear all the excuses the Cassel supporters will think of next. If Orton leaves then I would hope we add another QB to compete with Cassel. Make him earn it.

So a qb the lost his job to tim tebow and rex grossman is the guy u want. Are u scared that cassel will beat him out for the starting pisition.

Add my name to the list of folks who hope he is still here next year. I'd like to see a real competition between him and Cassel. That said, I don't think it is going to happen.

Orton looked good (for the most part) between the 20s. What I liked best about him is that he looked confident.

Once he gets to (or close to) the opponents 20 I swear it is like Superman coming in contact with Kryptonite.

When all is said and done, the Orton-led Chiefs scored an average of 13 ppg. He cheered us up with that win against GB but when it comes right down to it, he was nothing to be too excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    So a qb the lost his job to tim tebow and rex grossman is the guy u want. Are u scared that cassel will beat him out for the starting pisition.
    Rich Gannon lost his job to: Sean Salisbury, Mark Rypien, Steve Bono, and Elvis Grbac.

Trent Green lost his job to Kurt Warner

Matt Cassel lost his job to Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, and Tom Brady and almost became a baseball player.

I could keep going but hopefully you get the point. Regardless of whether you like Cassel or Orton better they both have proven they can be successful. If I was Cassel or Orton I would not want to compete I have already proven myself either make me the starter or I'm going somewhere where I can be the starter. That's like telling a Journeyman carpenter he has compete with another guy and if he loses he will become an apprentice again, I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    Rich Gannon lost his job to: Sean Salisbury, Mark Rypien, Steve Bono, and Elvis Grbac.

Trent Green lost his job to Kurt Warner

Matt Cassel lost his job to Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, and Tom Brady and almost became a baseball player.

I could keep going but hopefully you get the point. Regardless of whether you like Cassel or Orton better they both have proven they can be successful. If I was Cassel or Orton I would not want to compete I have already proven myself either make me the starter or I'm going somewhere where I can be the starter. That's like telling a Journeyman carpenter he has compete with another guy and if he loses he will become an apprentice again, I don't think so.
    thats crap dude. U start a new job u generally have something to prove, no one is entitled to anything.....unless of course u r barrack obama. My father is a master chef, i am pretty good but when im in a kitchen there is always something to prove. Its called being competitive

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast