Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Look for a QB or O-line?

Default Look for a QB or O-line?

In another thread the following statement was made.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster
    I hear what you're saying, but still believe that the O-line needs to be addressed first. I think that the best QB in the world behind a mediocre front line will, himself, look mediocre or worse. However, even a QB with marginal talent can be successful behind a good O-line.
    And that really focussed my mind on the whole issue Cassel vs Orton and what kind of QB we need to run our offense.

We saw last year that Cassel can make a perfectly acceptable QB in a run oriented offense. I think we also saw that when we get into a game where the opponent's defense shuts down our running game Cassel does not seem to be the kind of gunslinger that goes out and saves your butt.

In the GB game Orton appeared more comfortable than Cassel would be in a situation where the QB was expected to be the primary means of moving the ball.

In the Raider game when it came time for that last minute drive to try to break the tie Orton again appeared to be more comfortable in a situation where the game was riding on his arm.

Call it the "game manager" vs the "gunslinger".....

And this provoked a question in my mind.....assuming we will continue to be a run oriented team on offense, and that we'll make some serious effort in the off season to upgrade our O-Line, would we be better served by a "game manager" at QB or by a "gunslinger"?

Like to hear your alls thoughts on the philosophy of what kind of QB will be better to have behind center next year and why?

a gunslinger. It gets old watching cassel panic when the game is on the line.

I wrote this in the other forumn.............

I agree, headcoach first, O Line needs help, but so does QB. Oline will be easier to fix then QB.

Its very iffy that Orton will sign and even less likely the Chiefs would give him the money he will want. I'm thinking his value has gone up since there seems to be a high demand for QB's this year and less good quality high expectoncy qbs in the draft. (I hope he does sign, competition is good)

Cassel makes the OL look even worse and it seems he has lost the players respect. Maybe that will change now that Haley is no longer calling the plays. We do know however that he can start and win games if we have a good run game.

Sadly we don't know what Stanzi can do, guess Haley could not find a time when it seemed right to start him..............This really hurts because now its unknown what he is capable of. It would be nice to know if hes able to take the # 2 or 3 spot. It sucks finding out the hard way...............

I take it Palko has officially used up his welcome in any nfl game again. Just my guess.

added: I also think it will be much easier to get a starting RT or C/G in the FA. Therefore I think we should do some fancy trading and get the best availible QB sometime in the first two rounds.

O line

Bring back Orton I don't think that it would be to hard. Orton might not have set the world on fire but you have to rember that he only had 3 games in as the starter. The offense looked ok just couldn't get it done in the redzone. Charles Moaki will help that. But I have said this before and I will say it again if we don't get O line help it won't matter whos playing QB. Not many qbs do to well when they are having to run for there lifes.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Build the lines first.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I wrote this in the other forumn.............

I agree, headcoach first, O Line needs help, but so does QB. Oline will be easier to fix then QB.

Its very iffy that Orton will sign and even less likely the Chiefs would give him the money he will want. I'm thinking his value has gone up since there seems to be a high demand for QB's this year and less good quality high expectoncy qbs in the draft. (I hope he does sign, competition is good)

Cassel makes the OL look even worse and it seems he has lost the players respect. Maybe that will change now that Haley is no longer calling the plays. We do know however that he can start and win games if we have a good run game.

Sadly we don't know what Stanzi can do, guess Haley could not find a time when it seemed right to start him..............This really hurts because now its unknown what he is capable of. It would be nice to know if hes able to take the # 2 or 3 spot. It sucks finding out the hard way...............

I take it Palko has officially used up his welcome in any nfl game again. Just my guess.

added: I also think it will be much easier to get a starting RT or C/G in the FA. Therefore I think we should do some fancy trading and get the best availible QB sometime in the first two rounds.
    The quote stated in the thread starter was in response to the reply you posted here. I agree that we cannot leave the QB position, as it stands currently, unaddressed. I believe we can do this by retaining Orton and letting him compete with Cassel for the job. The problem will be contracts regarding both players. IMO.

Get Orton to sign (we have a ton of cap room) and then draft O-line in the first. While I'd like to draft a flashy QB there will be another available somewhere down the line. Barkley is coming out next year, Washington's QB Price looked like a stud against Baylor in it's bowl game and Price is only a sophomore. I'm not against getting a new shiny QB but I'd prefer to see our O-line be built since we've neglected it for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Get Orton to sign (we have a ton of cap room) and then draft O-line in the first. While I'd like to draft a flashy QB there will be another available somewhere down the line. Barkley is coming out next year, Washington's QB Price looked like a stud against Baylor in it's bowl game and Price is only a sophomore. I'm not against getting a new shiny QB but I'd prefer to see our O-line be built since we've neglected it for so long.
    Rep!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    O line

Bring back Orton I don't think that it would be to hard. Orton might not have set the world on fire but you have to rember that he only had 3 games in as the starter. The offense looked ok just couldn't get it done in the redzone. Charles Moaki will help that. But I have said this before and I will say it again if we don't get O line help it won't matter whos playing QB. Not many qbs do to well when they are having to run for there lifes.
    I don't think it will be all that easy either. Orton wants to be a starter. His games here were not that impressive but he did well. I think he will be offered a job elsewhere as a starter. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    O line

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    I don't think it will be all that easy either. Orton wants to be a starter. His games here were not that impressive but he did well. I think he will be offered a job elsewhere as a starter. IMO
    Two very good points. Rep!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast