Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Matt Flynn

Default Matt Flynn

Why not go after Flynn from the Packers and let Orton and Cassel battle it out for the clip board position!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

On paper, Flynn looked great. Unfortunately I didnt watch any of the games this weekend due to other commitments (and by commitments I mean still drinking/hangovers from New Years Eve ).

But I think I would have to agree that not too many teams (including Green Bay) would be too willing to spend a lot on him since there is so little REAL game film on him. That having been said, maybe it means he can be acquired for cheap.

Im not sure on how I feel about him specifically, but I think I am along the same lines as some others on here. I think before we even think about the QB position, we need to upgrade the OL either in FA or the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    On paper, Flynn looked great. Unfortunately I didnt watch any of the games this weekend due to other commitments (and by commitments I mean still drinking/hangovers from New Years Eve ).

But I think I would have to agree that not too many teams (including Green Bay) would be too willing to spend a lot on him since there is so little REAL game film on him. That having been said, maybe it means he can be acquired for cheap.

Im not sure on how I feel about him specifically, but I think I am along the same lines as some others on here. I think before we even think about the QB position, we need to upgrade the OL either in FA or the draft.
    I respectfully disagree. When u break the green bay record for tds and yards, given their history, demand will be high. Will he be overpaid....yes. but teams will pay at the pump for his services. Look at kolb from arizona.

Why does Green Bay acquire excellent QB's, and we don't? Pioli - whats your major malfunction? Do you still need Billy Boy standing next to you to make your decisions for you? Man up, Pioli, and do your job, or get out.
    SHUT IT

No way I can see Cassel, Orton, Flynn and Stanzi all being on the roster. That said, Flynn sounds interesting and I'd shed no tears if he replaced any of the 3 we currently have.

Cool

Orton will be a free agent. We would not re-sign him, if we decided to go after Flynn, as long as Cassel remains on the roster. In my opinion, we should trade Cassel. Then we can sign Orton and Flynn, while still keeping Stanzi around until he's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Why does Green Bay acquire excellent QB's, and we don't? Pioli - whats your major malfunction? Do you still need Billy Boy standing next to you to make your decisions for you? Man up, Pioli, and do your job, or get out.
    They have a great history of QB coaches. They are good at both identifiying talent and then DEVELOPING it. That, and they have been a decent team for a long time, so they have been able to afford to grab a good to decent QB when they are not in desperate need of one, and let him develop for 2-4 years. The key is their QB coaches. Most have gone on to become pretty decent head coaches.

Here is GB's lineage of QB coaches from the early 90s (when Favre was picked up as a back-up for a few years) until present day.

Their QB coaches since the 90s:

Mariucci, Steve Quarterbacks 1992-95 49ers HC, Lions HC
    Mornhinweg, Marty Quarterbacks 1996 Eagles O. Coordinator
    Reid, Andy Quarterbacks 1997-98 - Eagles HC
    McCarthy, Mike Quarterbacks 1999 Currently the head coach
    Bevell, Darrell Quarterbacks 2003-05 O. Coordinator for Seattle
    Clements, Tom Quarterbacks 2006-11 Candidate for a few OC jobs

Earlier, I think Nicfre posted about Tom Clements becoming our O. Coordinator. Him and Flynn together here may be an interesting and inriguing thought ... but only after upgrading the OL.

He seems like a good QB. Not sure what would happen with Orton and Cassel though if they signed him. Although if they DO want to sign him, they have plenty of cap room.
    Last edited by AussieChiefsFan; 01-04-2012 at 08:04 AM.

We don't have near the same supporting cast as the Pack. He would flop due to inexperience.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Same here.

He is going to get a big payday. And, much like Matt Cassel then, he was playing on an exceptional offense, but with far less game experience to suggest that he is for real. I would be fine with it. But I would hate to see all competition removed to make room for him.

I would want either Orton, or Cassel to remain, to supply us with a real starter, in case Flynn were to get here and struggle with the offense.

This is not The Packers' offense. And we have seen how a QB successful with an offense can struggle with a major change to the offense.

Would I go after him? Probably not. But, if Orton, or Cassel leaves, then I might.

It's just that so little has been seen of Flynn. This is basically one game getting him hyped up. Beyond this game, and some impressive preseason play, there is very little to look at, with Flynn.
    Yeah, this guy is throwing for one of the greatest offenses ever (definitely like the Cassel scenario) and I would have to see much more from him before I gave him a lottery payday and a starting job. They said it might affect Rodgers in the MVP voting because maybe a good qb could look fantastic behind this offense....we don't need this question mark again...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast